Using ASPEED 2400 IPMI remote KVM on modern clients?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Sep 4, 2017
What's your go-to solution for using the ancient ASPEED 2400 remote KVM Java service on modern clients? I can't get it to work with OpenWebStart. Are you using a VM or what?

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
From what vendor? Everybody should support HTML5. Also, OpenWebStart has always worked here without issues - are you accepting both security prompts?

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
I guess Asrock Rack. They never updated their AST2400 based boards to a BMC firmware with HTML5 KVM.
I do have a small VM with old Java 7.something JRE to access such ancient systems.
Btw: even that the newer AST2500 based systems do offer a HTML5 KVM you need the Java based one if you want to use remote media directly attached from your desktop…. Even for Supermicro boards.

Reactions: Aluminat
Sep 4, 2017
I guess Asrock Rack. They never updated their AST2400 based boards to a BMC firmware with HTML5 KVM.
I do have a small VM with old Java 7.something JRE to access such ancient systems.
Btw: even that the newer AST2500 based systems do offer a HTML5 KVM you need the Java based one if you want to use remote media directly attached from your desktop…. Even for Supermicro boards.
Yep, nailed it, ASRock Rack. Never buying again.

Wow, I didn't know that about AST2500. Do you know if AST2600 fixes the requirement?

I really need a new board but I literally cannot find any mATX board with 10GbE and AST2600 on sale, with any socket.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
If IPMIView works for your hardware, you get to avoid browser Java applet/obsolete JWS stuff and it has media support.