Recent content by Jack Daniels

1. J

Some advice please. Need to build an LTO Tape Library setup.

Not sure if this was the right place for this type of post but here goes anyways; I need to put together an LTO 8 Tape Library and controller server for the tape library to be connected too. This will be placed in a data center so I can download all my stuff from Google Drive and backup to...
  2. J

Upgrade E5 2620 v3 to E5 2600 series v4

would it be wise to run fans at full speed if all cores at maxed out for hours on end? Or makes no difference on this class of server chassis ?
  3. J

Cant change the board. The server is in a DC on the other side of the world from me so I am not local to it. My intention is to find a local IT tech who can work on it for me (easier said then done?) Its a big 36 bay Supermicro chassis fully populated so cant change the motherboard out. I want...
  4. J

reading around some more, would I be better off to go for E5 26XX v3 and use the all core boost bug to get all cores running at max freq in order to do more crunching rather then looking at an E5 v4 chip? My use is encoding of video footage. Higher freq is better then more cores. So 8 cores at...
  5. J

Supermicro X10DRi-T (or X10DRi - not sure at this point which motherboard it is)
  6. J

ok as far as I can see its just a BIOS flash to a newer BIOS to handle the newer CPU's. Is there anything else to be aware of? Thanks
  7. J

How to verify MB model with remote access to server only

Thanks Rand. So given the senor reading is for MB_10G and the Syetem lists the board as X10DRi Given this is coming from IPMI would you be more inclined to believe the sensor reading info? I am thinking that, as you suggest, that with the IPMI they just haven't bothered to have the system...
  8. J

How to verify MB model with remote access to server only

Hi, I have a server in a DC on the other side of the world. I need to verify the motherboard in the server. I thought I had a Supermicro X10DRi-T However when I log into the IPMI and look at hardware information at the top of the tree it says; > - Computer - System...