Some advice please. Need to build an LTO Tape Library setup.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jack Daniels

Jan 27, 2017
Not sure if this was the right place for this type of post but here goes anyways;

I need to put together an LTO 8 Tape Library and controller server for the tape library to be connected too.

This will be placed in a data center so I can download all my stuff from Google Drive and backup to tape.

(recently had a nasty scare on GD which I recovered from, but after this event I decided the best way to store my data is for it to be in MY possession - no one else's and LTO is about the most cost effective way to store this data long term - about 300TB and growing - no intention to stop - self confessed datahoarder).

So I have a choice of a 2U 24 tape Library or a 3U 40 tape Library. Which library I get largely depends on the server setup that I can get together that will be connected to the tape library via an SAS cable from the HBA.

I cannot exceed 4U of rackspace because of pricing out there for colo (USA west or central location - no need to be on East coast at all)

So If I went for the 24 tape 2U Library that leaves me 2u for a server.

If I went for the 40 tape 3U Library that leaves me 1U for a server.

Whatever server I use in the end, i need these features;

- **MUST** be able to accomodate an SAS HBA card as this is what connects to the tape library.

- at least 15 -20TB organising space on the server as an LTO7 tape formatted as M8 can write 9TB of data to it. That 9TB of data needs to be fed to the tape write in a continual non stop, no interruption stream. I need marshalling room for data coming down from GD to the control server plus that 9TB of space for the tape write operation. So assuming I leave 1TB for the OS and 9TB for the tape writing, I would think I need another 5TB at least as that is the max I can pull from GD in a day. So thats 15TB. Never hurts to have a bit more, hence I think around 20TB or so is about right.

I would think 32GB of RAM should be plenty. It will be a linux OS on the control server - not sure how that side of things will be setup yet. I plan to use ArGest Backup software to write the data to the tapes. That software will be on the control server and can run under Linux (the software can use other OS's as well but I pick Linux since this server/tape Library will be headless in a Data center on the other side of the world from me - so stability is critical)

I am not sure if a 1U server can do all I want. I would like to source used - dont need latest cutting edge stuff for this. I am not sure if a 1U server can accommodate the HBA card and also not sure how much data storage I can setup on a 1U server. How many HDD's can a 1U server handle (probably a series 9 Supermicro or similar)

If I go to a 2u things open up considerably. I am pretty sure th 2U server could handle the HBA with no problems, and that I could get enough HDD's into the chassis.

Any thoughts or input on this? Which servers should I be looking at? Any good source to purchase from you might know of?

Thanks for any insights you may have