Upgrade E5 2620 v3 to E5 2600 series v4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jack Daniels

Jan 27, 2017
ok as far as I can see its just a BIOS flash to a newer BIOS to handle the newer CPU's.

Is there anything else to be aware of?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Jan 27, 2017
reading around some more, would I be better off to go for E5 26XX v3 and use the all core boost bug to get all cores running at max freq in order to do more crunching rather then looking at an E5 v4 chip? My use is encoding of video footage. Higher freq is better then more cores. So 8 cores at the highest freq would be more beneficial then, say 12 or 14 cores.

I have 1 x E5-2620 v3 installed. I want to install a CPU into the other socket so now is the time to figure out the upgrade or side grade or whatever

I am not an expert at this at all so learning bit by bit.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Relevant might be max TDP capability of your board, but I assume the x10dri should be fine with most CPUs (except workstation maybe)

If you need max freq then dual CPUs is not really going to help. And depends on what your budget is, the high freq. capable v3's are quite expensive since they found that bug,

K D

Dec 24, 2016
For Max frequency, E5-16xx v3 or v4 would be a better choice or of you are OK with lesser pcie lanes and lower memory then E3. But that would need a different board.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
why a different board- E5-16xxx will run fine in dual board. just a lot of the features will not be present, but thats similar to his current setup...?

edit:
I remembered its not officially supported;) It runs fine in my experience though:)

Last edited:

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Sorry I was not clear. I mean if he goes for an E3 then he needs a different board.

Jack Daniels

Jan 27, 2017
Cant change the board. The server is in a DC on the other side of the world from me so I am not local to it. My intention is to find a local IT tech who can work on it for me (easier said then done?) Its a big 36 bay Supermicro chassis fully populated so cant change the motherboard out.

I want to do a full rework of how the server is setup so now is a good time to think through what needs doing. I bought the server second hand but it was only a few months old when I got it. I had 256GB of RAM installed because the price was very good on it at the time and it was available and I had the budget at that time - my thinking then was to buy enough RAM so that when the time comes to put in the second CPU I can give each CPU 128GB of RAM. Couldn't afford to allocate that much of the budget to that amount of DDR4 today!

The CPU in there now is a 2620v3.

I am thinking of a installing a VM setup as I want to bring some other people in to use it remotely - I want to learn encoding video footage so having different VM's dedicated to different things makes sense. Hence CPU core numbers and having the other CPU in.

So a high Freq CPU would benefit the encoding task. Everything else is fairly low key compared to that. But the issue is I have to do the CPU's in pairs, so high freq on one means high freq Proc for both. The V3 bug thing might work. Need to do lots of reading on this. The mother board says up to 145W TDP, so not sure how that works out if all cores on say an 8 core proc are running max speed for some hours at a time. Server is in an air conditioned DC but I have no idea if its in the cooling isle or the hottest part of the DC.

I also need a HBA fitted and I know almost nothing about them, but I will start a new thread for that so as not to pollute this one with too many aspects happening at once.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If the board is rated for 145W then any CPU (pair) rated below or equal (each) will be fine if used with default cooling.

Jack Daniels

Jan 27, 2017
would it be wise to run fans at full speed if all cores at maxed out for hours on end? Or makes no difference on this class of server chassis ?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Fan speed will be adjusted dynamically usually, so unless you see high temps and dynamic scaling is not working no need to fiddle.