How to verify MB model with remote access to server only

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jack Daniels

Jan 27, 2017
Hi,

I have a server in a DC on the other side of the world. I need to verify the motherboard in the server.

I thought I had a Supermicro X10DRi-T

However when I log into the IPMI and look at hardware information at the top of the tree it says;

> - Computer
- System
- Manufacturer: Supermicro
- Product Name: X10DRi
- Serial Number: XXXXXXXX

However, when I go into Server Health Sensor readings it tells me the temp on;

MB_10G Temp

This last bit indicates to me that the sensor is reading the temp on the 10G controller and thus it must be 10Gbit interfaces on the brd and thus meaning the mother board is in fact the X10DRi-T.

But if so, then why does it not list as a X10DRi-T in hardware information?

Any help or insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Unfortunately if boards are quite similar the vendor's don't spend the effort to clearly identify the boards.
You will get the same box (different sticker), same quick reference, same manual...

You can check the bios release notes to see whether it tells you anything ("Displays x10dri even for -T"), but else you're stuck with what you see on sensors/lspci/hardware info i think

Jack Daniels

Jan 27, 2017
Thanks Rand.

So given the senor reading is for MB_10G

and

the Syetem lists the board as X10DRi

Given this is coming from IPMI would you be more inclined to believe the sensor reading info? I am thinking that, as you suggest, that with the IPMI they just haven't bothered to have the system ID the board other then X10DRi family .....and that is enough for them.

Its hard to imagine that a sensor would be labelled as 10G if its a 1Gb NIC.

If I was an optimist I would assume its the X10DRi-T version of the board. I hope so because now that I actually need that 10Gb NIC, I hope its there.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
you can easily check that in any os :)
And regarding your bios upgrade - you can check at supermicro's if its the same bios for -T and regular

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Can't you use lspci -nn from a Linux LiveCD to see the NIC VendorID/DeviceID? Seems more straightforward than a sensor name.
The BIOS usually also has the info.