Recent content by dooferorg

1. D

Best Approach to Cheap Distributed NVMe?

What I've been working on is putting together 5 systems of the SYS-1027GR-TRT type since there's 3 PCIe x16 slots in it. Unfortunately the system does not support bifurcation but it will at least allow me to get a Ceph/Proxmox cluster off the ground. I found the systems for around $100 on ebay...
  2. D

Flashing LSI 3008 RAID controller back to IR mode from IT mode?

My thoughts on this are that I'm quite happy with my LSI 3008 in IT mode because then ZFS can have access to the drives directly. , Glad you got it figured for your use case, though
  3. D

Supermicro 6028U-TRTP X10DRU-i Barebone $349

*** I realized it's SLIGHTLY different, my one. It's the TR4 variant, which is similar to the TRTP but differs by the ethernet ports. Just got one of these (6028U-TR4+ | 2U | SuperServers | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.) recently (BIOS 3.4) I am liking it! Piecing together a server...
  4. D

Tower case for that fits EE-ATX with at least 4 x 5.25" drives?

To update: I have found that the Phanteks Enthoo Primo *will* fit this board too.
  5. D

Dual v2 Server Build Questions/Advice sought

As someone that tried the ASUS Hyper M.2 thingy on my X9 board, it did not work. Some reports of it working on the LN4F but it seems less than solid. I went for the single-drive adapters on Amazon as well. Works great. I have enough slots to do what I need. ALSO, don't try and boot the X9...
  6. D

Thinking about cases for this board I was looking for a new one. It popped in my head to try a really old case I had in the basement. A Chieftec CA-01B-B-SL-400 which I had in use for my file server about 6 or 7 years ago. Apart from needing some different mounting holes, it seems like it fits...
  7. D

Yes, quite true. I was thinking of the 'E-ATX' board sizes for the Supermicro boards which are 12"x13". I saw this the other day.. quite funny. "E-ATX" Is A Lie: XL-ATX, E-ATX, ATX, EEB, and SSI-CEB
  8. D

Looks ace... can't see any in stock unfortunately. Hmm.:confused:
  9. D

I do like Noctua fans too, sweet :) Yea, SSI-EEB is equivalent to E-ATX . I have found cases that fit those.. it's the EE-ATX that's the trick. I wouldn't blame you if you missed the difference. I sure did when I first got the LN4F board, and then when I finally got around to trying it in my 4U...
  10. D

I appreciate all the input, thank you. For now it is my testbed board so maybe I'll do something else a bit more 'standard sized' (if E-ATX can be called that) for my desktop. For mounting holes the it's the 'top' row (if considering the PCIe slots at the bottom of the case) then that top row...
  11. D

Since buying a X9DRi-LN4F+ (last year) without considering the size of the it ( :rolleyes: ) I have been kicking around the idea that of instead of selling the board to replace my aging core i5 desktop since I am 100% work from home (software developer). That leaves me with the problem of...
  12. D

Is there a 4 port version of an LSI 9207-8i ?

Thank you very much for that info, that's very helpful. Good idea with the different cable/connector on the other card as well. Certainly something to think about. Probably not worth worrying about bandwidth wise with spinning disks for my RAID 6 arrays on those SATA backplanes, but i got to...
  13. D

10 GB switch - questions

The Ubiquiti Networks US-16-XG 10G has been on my radar as a 10G fiber switch for when I finally put fiber to the desktops instead of just between my server and my own desktop. Tranceivers or DACs don't seem to be too expensive (fs.com) . Maybe 16 ports is overkill? I have no idea on your...
  14. D

Is there a 4 port version of an LSI 9207-8i ?

I like the PCIe 3.0 LSI 9207-8i with the two SFF 8087 ports. My question is, is there a version that is double that, i.e. a PCI3.0 x16 card with 4 x SFF8087. Not finding anything googling around and I wondered if anyone here might know? The backplane on my server chassis accepts the 8087 cables...
  15. D

m.2 PCIe adapter in Supermicro x9 motherboards?

X9DRI-F here. Yea, have to report the Asus Hyper M.2 didn't work for me either. Due to physical fit of the card and memory slot I can only try in the x16 of slot 4 and slot 2. Neither worked and only reported 1 of the 2 NVMe drives I had in there (I tried NVMe position 1&2 and 1&4). I had...