Tower case for that fits EE-ATX with at least 4 x 5.25" drives?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
Since buying a X9DRi-LN4F+ (last year) without considering the size of the it ( :rolleyes: ) I have been kicking around the idea that of instead of selling the board to replace my aging core i5 desktop since I am 100% work from home (software developer). That leaves me with the problem of finding a case that will fit this massive EE-ATX I tried searching on here. I've seen the Fractal Design 7 XL but it seems to lack the 5.25" bays I want (I have a number of blu-ray drives I use). The Corsair Obsidian 750 and the Phanteks Enthoo Primo seem to be lacking in a definitive yes/no for motherboard compatibility of that size.

It's likely it's a fool's errand and there really isn't anything but I thought I'd ask.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015

big enough ?? :p:p:p:p:p:D
The Lian Li V2000 line (or the similar V2100 and PC-201) does not fit any EEATX motherboards.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015

big enough ?? :p:p:p:p:p:D
Jeebus, what the hell happened to SPCR's website?! Did they get bought out by the same morons that ruined techreport?

Speaking as someone with a V2000 (and a PC-75) in storage, and still using my venerable custom PC-A20, it makes me sad to see what Lian Li has become. (puts onion on belt).

On a more relevant note, isn't EE-ATX just a supermicro thing? I don't recall any other vendor supporting it; although of course possible the mounting holes might be in the same place as EATX.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Speaking as someone with a V2000 (and a PC-75) in storage, and still using my venerable custom PC-A20, it makes me sad to see what Lian Li has become. (puts onion on belt).

On a more relevant note, isn't EE-ATX just a supermicro thing? I don't recall any other vendor supporting it; although of course possible the mounting holes might be in the same place as EATX.
Lian Li's current offering are sad indeed. I still have a PC-767 in my closet and am having a hard time parting with it even though I haven't used it in 7-8 years.

Tyan made a few larger boards, though I'm not sure if any where the same size as Supermicro's EEATX. They had some larger SSI MEB form factor ones, which are even taller. Asus did as well (KFN5-Q/SAS for example).

Enoch

Jun 12, 2020
I've got 3x nos IBM tower/rack server cases which are big enough. Plus maybe 2-4 others cases from Supermicro and Dell etc. Was going to use for Arima cluster, long forgotten. Shipping a big PIA though .......

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
I appreciate all the input, thank you. For now it is my testbed board so maybe I'll do something else a bit more 'standard sized' (if E-ATX can be called that) for my desktop.

For mounting holes the it's the 'top' row (if considering the PCIe slots at the bottom of the case) then that top row of 3 holes is about 1.3" further to the top of the case, while the PCIe slots and ATX IO plate area remain the same between that board and other cases.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
If you can live with only three 5.25" drive bays: Phanteks Enthoo pro. It fits Supermicro SSI-EEB boards no problem. Larger cases from Fractal Design like the Define XL also have enough space for these boards, but not all mounting holes out of the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: dooferorg and Marsh

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Yeah, 3D printed, custom-made for this motherboard. I had way too much free time over the last couple months.

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
I do like Noctua fans too, sweet :)

Yea, SSI-EEB is equivalent to E-ATX . I have found cases that fit those.. it's the EE-ATX that's the trick. I wouldn't blame you if you missed the difference. I sure did when I first got the LN4F board, and then when I finally got around to trying it in my 4U case, that it wouldn't fit.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Last edited:

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
I must have glanced over your requirement for "EE-ATX". Damn, that's a huge-ass board.
But just for the record, E-ATX is not the same as SSI-EEB. While the latter is a standardized form factor, the former really means "anything wider than ATX".

For EE-ATX, this is all I can contribute: PC-Gehäuse mit Formfaktor Mainboard: EE-ATX Preisvergleich geizhals.eu EU
HPTX might also fit: PC-Gehäuse mit Formfaktor Mainboard: HPTX Preisvergleich geizhals.eu EU
Yes, quite true. I was thinking of the 'E-ATX' board sizes for the Supermicro boards which are 12"x13".

I saw this the other day.. quite funny. "E-ATX" Is A Lie: XL-ATX, E-ATX, ATX, EEB, and SSI-CEB

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
Thinking about cases for this board I was looking for a new one. It popped in my head to try a really old case I had in the basement. A Chieftec CA-01B-B-SL-400 which I had in use for my file server about 6 or 7 years ago. Apart from needing some different mounting holes, it seems like it fits! Top row mounting holes are not there, and middle column is off a bit. Should be able to drill or dremmel standoffs to do the job.

Kinda silly to have the solution sitting in my basement for the last 5 years. I guess I overlooked it. :rolleyes:

Edit: Found the old newegg link: CHIEFTEC Mesh CA-01B-B-SL-OP Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Attachments

Last edited:

aprichelieu

Oct 18, 2020
y
If you are not after the sleeker looks, Supermicro 745 should work with the board, 8 x 3.5 hotswap, 3x 5.25 bays
I have the Supermicro SC745 with 2 x 900W power supplies.
The motherboard is the EE-ATX X9DR3-LN4F+ which is similar to the X9DRi-LN4F+.

The chassi is quite noisy with 3 removable 81 mm fans between the disks and the motherboard
and two 81 mm fans sucking air out of the chassis.
This is on top of the the two 92 mm CPU fans.
There are also a 40 mm fan inside each power supply which will still make the solution quite noisy.

Removing the 81 mm fans and replacing the CPU fans with 120 mm low noise fans is possible
but the power suppy fans will still keep the chassi noisy.
The 40 mm fans seems to use a non-standard connector and cannot easily be replaced by lower noise fans.

One thing to remember about these motherboards is that from a cabling point of view you want the
power suppy to be on the top, but it seems that many (most?) have the power supply at the bottom in a tower.

Last edited: