Flashing LSI 3008 RAID controller back to IR mode from IT mode?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eptesicus

Jun 25, 2017
I purchased a 4-node Supermicro server that has a BPN-ADP-8S3008-1UF RAID card in each node. This was purchased being lead to believe that they were in IR mode, but I receive them in IT mode.

IT mode is fine for 3 of the servers, as I'm using those in a vSAN cluster, but I was just going to RAID 0 each drive for that and leave them in IR mode. However, the 4th node needs to have the hardware RAID capabilities.

I can't find firmware for these cards. Does anyone have any guidance here? The Supermicro F628R3-RC0BPT+ servers are no longer supported, and I don't see any firmware for the cards on their site, or on Broadcom's site.

Edit: I found the 9300/9311-8i firmware here: Downloads | Thomas-Krenn.AG
I followed the guide here to flash to IR mode (same method flashing IR to IT, just choose the IR firmware). The only thing I had to do was perform a 'Sas3flash.efi -o -e 6' in order to erase the firmware. Otherwise, you'll get the error, "Cannot Flash IR Firmware over IT Firmware!".

This is working now for me. I'd delete this, but will leave it up in case someone else has the same thing.

Last edited:

dooferorg

Jul 7, 2020
My thoughts on this are that I'm quite happy with my LSI 3008 in IT mode because then ZFS can have access to the drives directly. ,

Glad you got it figured for your use case, though