Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
So, if we are assuming that the E5-2670s have dropped so low because one or more bigger server farms has dumped them on the used market, shouldn't there also be a number of motherboards or barebones systems being released that used to house these CPUs?

It just seems weird that these used CPUs are so cheap and plentiful and finding corresponding used motherboards at a decent price is so difficult.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
So, if we are assuming that the E5-2670s have dropped so low because one or more bigger server farms has dumped them on the used market, shouldn't there also be a number of motherboards or barebones systems being released that used to house these CPUs?

It just seems weird that these used CPUs are so cheap and plentiful and finding corresponding used motherboards at a decent price is so difficult.
DBA got a ton of systems recently if I recall, all are capable of these CPUs so possibly those.

I don't know much about supercomptuers but I doubt when you're running 1000+ physical cpus you're going to be running on intel or supermicro motherboards...

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
That's a bit of a vague question @Zankza ;) I think we'd need to know more info as a # of people are using them in desktop boards w/out ECC so those are by far the cheapest... they're also 1P boards.

Do you want 1 P?
Do you want 2 P?
Do you want IPMI?
Do you want ECC?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Support for ECC RAM tends to be a CPU-designated feature so it's kind of a given when utilizing a 2P board since the E5 product family supports it. Most 2P server grade boards that I've seen take both ECC + buffered or unbuffered DIMM or just standard RAM.

If you need some boards and don't want to wait for the odd Supermicro deal to pop up, the Tyan S7050GM4NR is going for 250 OBO on ebay, seller convertechs-mike. I was able to pick 5 up for 186/ea, new in box, presumably if they have a warranty then it's good for 3 years. It has quad LAN(2 i350 and 2 82574L) + IPMI shared with one of the 82574L ports. Not ideal but whatever. 10 SATA ports, 5 PCIe and 1 PCI. Although, one of the PCIe is a x4 connector, kind of dumb, no higher-ish-end HBA, HCA, or networking adapter is compatible with that slot, so I don't count it really...unless you put an PCIe SSD in it. It also has the 7 PWM fan headers which is perfect, the 836 and 846 chassis I'm using, combined with CPU fans, have exactly that many.

There's a few annoyances though with this board, if you put it in a Supermicro chassis. The CPU power connectors are in more irregular positions, it wouldnt be a problem but Supermicro PDUs are practically catered to their boards. So, in my case I had to cut the ziptie and was able to get enough length from one of the connectors, but, I still had to buy some extensions for the other.

The other thing is the front panel header is at the very bottom of the board. On SM boards it's on the right side, in the middle, ideal for any of their chassis. But in the 836 chassis, the FPIO is on the right side, putting it way on the other side and out of reach. So, I had to buy some of these: NEW Lot of 5 SuperMicro CBL084L 16-Pin Front Control Split Connector Cable

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The C6100 is nice but it doesn't tick the right boxes for me as far as expandability goes. To use it for something like ScaleIO you would need multiple chassis, ideally of the 3.5" bay version, or multiple DAS enclosures with external HBAs. The ConnectX-2 mezzanine card also costs twice as much as a standard one. The 5500/5600 series PCH also runs pretty hot, 28-30W whereas the C602 PCH is only 8W. I just prefer having a platform that I can completely customize. All of my servers before we running on L5640/X5650 chips, and I'm completely swapping them out.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
$134 via UPS Worldwide Express for a CPU? no thanks.
That is just plain ridiculous. I could have a rack case with contents shipped for same via jetcarrier.
that is deepdiscountservers btw.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
US reshippers add about $1 to the costs of reship via usps for these little guys depending on whether you buy insurance.
The huge international shipping price is often accompanied by Free Shipping within the continental united states so often you only have to pay postage once instead of twice. eisocom was shipping at reasonable international rates a couple of weeks ago when I got my first 2@90.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
$134 via UPS Worldwide Express for a CPU? no thanks.
That is just plain ridiculous. I could have a rack case with contents shipped for same via jetcarrier.
that is deepdiscountservers btw.
Maybe they would rather NOT ship INT but want to give the option for someone who REALLY wants an item. As-in, they don't ship INT but if you REALLY want it they will at __THIS__ price... sure it's not the lowest, but dealing with INT shipping is a time suck, and handling issues/warranty even more so.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
There are plenty of BAD deals out there. Just because you find a crappy one doesn't mean you need to list it here. There are more than a handful of GOOD deals. I didn't buy either my memory or CPU's off of eBay because they were the BEST deals that I could find.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
i paid 45$ for international shipping for 4 xeon E5-2670 by the seller esiso (around 11$ per proc seems to be reasonnable).
In addition, i had 87.40€ of VAT

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
The cheap chips has def kept the board prices artificially high. You might as well buy new if your looking for Dual 2011

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I got all of my heatsinks in today, they're slightly shorter than 3U. I'd say they're minimum of 2U heatsinks. They're solid AF though, keeps the E5-2670 very frosty, much better than the garbage coolers and fans in the Intel R2312 chassis. Talking like 28-30c idle on average per core with the stock TIM on the heatsink. I think they actually threw 2 in for free!

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Nice! My 2U HSF are idling at 39-41*C with a 24*C ambient room temp in open bench. The bonus, the 2U HSF are near silent in standard mode, and dead silent in PUE mode... but PUE scares me right now (see other thread)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I gotta agree, 134 bucks to ship a CPU is ridiculous.
I double agree, I'd say extreme pricing!
Maybe seller is making extra margin on shipping charges.

Try a 3rd party freight forwarding service like 'MyUSA' or 'Shipito'.

I can ship 4 x SSDs to Australia via FedEx or TNT <US$60 with Shipito.

But if you want insurance, pictures need to be taken of goods, so it's best if CPUs are in clamshells or better if they have 'electrostatic warning sticker' attached, to avoid direct contact and possible static charge.
(I'm currently negotiating with Shipito for a procedure to handle electrostatic sensitive goods).