Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CTRFK8

May 6, 2023
So I'm seeing errors with a new Proxmox install. I'm getting the same error as the link to serverfault.com below.

I have the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card NVMe expansion card. Setting the slot to AUTO or PCIe GEN4 generate the issue in the screenshots below. Setting to GEN3 as mentioned in the link stop these errors all together. Is there a fix for this? Should I just ignore the error and keep it at GEN4?

Also if the slots are numbered bottom to top in the BIOS, why do you think the error says "slot 0"?

I have the same mobo and running into the same issue as you are. Did you ever find a fix? PERHAPS a setting in the bios?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Does the redfish implementation on the BMC expose the fan settings? I had a quick look through the manual but I didn't spot it (except the GET versions but reading them isn't the only goal :p )

Last edited:

sabre66

Dec 24, 2023
Hi I also purchased tugm4470, ended up with 7302 non p. Of coarse all was well shipped and Is running great on my test situation. I do have a question though.....I update the BMC firmware to the latest through IPMI. Can I trust to due the same for the BIOS? Is the file to use for the BIOS the .rom file rom the BIOS download if done through the IPMI? BTW I have the 64mb board. Oh I have never heard the beep but then again its in my basement Im getting old and my wife says deaf as well...LOL

Thank You.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
It's SMD, pretty tricky. Heat shield / aluminum foil the surrounding area, hot air gun, magnifying glass, hope you don't loosen any other components or create solder bridges, drag solder.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I was browsing S8030 sets from tugm, looks like the prices have almost doubled :( Would have been a nice experiment to get a 1.0 board and a 2.0 board.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It's SMD, pretty tricky. Heat shield / aluminum foil the surrounding area, hot air gun, magnifying glass, hope you don't loosen any other components or create solder bridges, drag solder.
i usualy cut the old out with a mini precision pliers. then clean pads with tiny std.soldering iron and solder new chip (or socket)
no hot air required.

Reactions: Sean Ho

jrosseel

Jan 10, 2024
Yes, all versions of the S8030 can take the latest BIOS, and can be updated via BMC. It's the BMC that cannot be updated past v3 if the BMC SPI flash chip is only 32MB.
The Tyan site mentions the 4.07 BMC will brick a board with a 32MB chip.

However, a similar warning is not present for the 4.10 and 4.11 version, and the zip file is slightly smaller. Does that mean it can be flashed to the 32MB chip?

Looking at the sizes of the ima files inside the zips, I would assume this is not the case, as these files are exactly 64MB for all 4.x version.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
However, a similar warning is not present for the 4.10 and 4.11 version, and the zip file is slightly smaller. Does that mean it can be flashed to the 32MB chip?
they just expect you have BMC 4.07 and you want to update to 4.10 or 4.11 . in that case you have a 64mb board.

jrosseel

Jan 10, 2024
they just expect you have BMC 4.07 and you want to update to 4.10 or 4.11 . in that case you have a 64mb board.
Wll, that's absolutely not clear from the way their download area is written.
But it makes sense: what use is it to have a "dangerous" version on the site if newer ones solve the problem.

Anyway, was looking in the images to flash, and the last 32MB of the 64MB IMA file only contains FF bytes, except for a small section at 0x03FF000 that contains some info on the firmware. That's at 0x01FF0000 in the V3.0 BMC.

So it looks like it could fit in 32MB. There's absolutely less than 32MB of code in the 64MB file. No idea why they then went this incompatible route...

sabre66

Dec 24, 2023
well my board is fully upgraded latest bmc and bios ( I do have the 64MB version ). This combo with 7302 and 64GB ram is running great. Almost done moving my ESX VM's to proxmox. I am keeping ESX 8 around for abit while I get used to proxmox.

This combo has replaced my old e3 SM combo that served me well for many years.

gigipl

Mar 7, 2024
If the BMC is the culprit, it is possible to flash a new BMC firmware using this serial port but it will be painfully slow, but if you have 24 hours + to spare it should be fine. (There is a faster way but that requires way more setup and instruction work and a working u-boot bootloader).
(I can provide details later if you are willing to take this route)
@MartB Could You provide how we can upload new BMC firmware via u-boot? I got working BMC with u-boot - but BMC after boot show me kernel crash.

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
quick note: if you don't want to try to hack something together for the 32MB issue, you can send your board in Tyan and they'll upgrade it for you for free. Did that with mine.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Does anyone have issues powering off ESXi hosts on the S8030? I'm observing that shutting down / powering off ESXi from vCenter or from the ESXi web portal (or even via API / PowerCLI / esxcli ) causes it to shutdown and then restart again - really weird.

update: just reinstalled ESXi 8.0U2 fresh and tested with the same result - the S8030 somehow after the newer BIOSes just won’t shutdown properly in ESXi. Either that or it’s some kind of configuration issue with the rest of the hardware

Last edited:

dante4

Jul 8, 2021
Does anyone have issues powering off ESXi hosts on the S8030? I'm observing that shutting down / powering off ESXi from vCenter or from the ESXi web portal (or even via API / PowerCLI / esxcli ) causes it to shutdown and then restart again - really weird.

update: just reinstalled ESXi 8.0U2 fresh and tested with the same result - the S8030 somehow after the newer BIOSes just won’t shutdown properly in ESXi. Either that or it’s some kind of configuration issue with the rest of the hardware

Hm, nope, I don't have such problem