Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

diode

Mar 13, 2023
Okay, finally got the switch in. I ended up getting an ICX7250.

So far I'm off to a rough start as I can't seem to get Windows to detect, and/or get the TFTP up and running.

This is the cable that I purchased; can anyone confirm if this is the correct cable and should work for connecting to the ICX7250?

RW RoutersWholesale USB 2.0 Console Cable Compatible/Replacement for Cisco A-Male to Mini-B Cord - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters)

I'm sure that this has been beaten to death throughout this thread......

I'm hoping that I didn't just fry the console port given what was mentioned in this thread post...

Edit: I clearly see now that this is the WRONG cable. I guess we’ll see if I fried my port or not after making the new cable. Ugh.

I believe with all the information I conflated serial with console cable.

anyone know if the cable I linked is just a typical usb cable or could I have lucked out?

Last edited:

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home

So far I'm off to a rough start as I can't seem to get Windows to detect, and/or get the TFTP up and running.

This is the cable that I purchased; can anyone confirm if this is the correct cable and should work for connecting to the ICX7250?

RW RoutersWholesale USB 2.0 Console Cable Compatible/Replacement for Cisco A-Male to Mini-B Cord - 6 Feet (1.8 Meters)

I'm hoping that I didn't just fry the console port given what was mentioned in this thread post...

Edit: I clearly see now that this is the WRONG cable. I guess we’ll see if I fried my port or not after making the new cable. Ugh.

I believe with all the information I conflated serial with console cable.

anyone know if the cable I linked is just a typical usb cable or could I have lucked out?
The ICX7250 Mini-USB port is just a console port with Mini-USB form. It's not a built in console port as the ICX7150 series have.
As per frying the port, just a quote from @fohdeesha:
I would bet $50 the console port is fine, tons of people just in this thread have accidentally plugged regular USB ports into them, they can handle it fine. your issue is probably your usb to serial adapter, use it with another serial device to verify it actually works, or buy an ftdi model off amazon. also official console cables for these are only like 20 bucks to take the guesswork out of wiring Brocade ICX7250, ICX7450 ICX7750 DB9 Female to USB Mini Serial Console Cable 6FT | eBay
Just buy the Mini-USB adapter AND a USB to Serial Cable like this.
Both are dirty cheap.

Edit: Change the link to USB to Serial recommended.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BoGs

Andydude

Oct 6, 2023
I picked up a 7250-48 after finding this thread and reading through. Thanks to all who have contributed their time/insight here.

Curious to know how many are running 09.0.10x branch rather than the stable 08.0.95x branch ?
I am and it seems fine to me, I just followed the guide to 8 and then sent the 9 file over afterwards. Just make sure you use the routing firmware file and not the switch one like I did at first... :rolleyes:

diode

Mar 13, 2023

Thanks in advance!
The ICX7250 Mini-USB port is just a console port with Mini-USB form. It's not a built in console port as the ICX7150 series have.
As per frying the port, just a quote from @fohdeesha:

Just buy the Mini-USB adapter AND a USB to Serial Cable like this.
Both are dirty cheap.

Edit: Change the link to USB to Serial recommended.
You certainly made my morning! Thank you for the info and for not flaming me! This thread is so long a lot of the previously linked items would lead to dead ends. It's very reassuring to hear from the Godfather on the matter directly. My 15 minutes of digging last night didn't come up with that one. The cables should be here by Tuesday, so I'll know then what I'm looking at. :) I'll be sure to report back in the hopes that it might contribute a small fraction to the community.

Thanks again!

EDIT: For those that come across this in the future, connecting a standard USB cable to the console port did NOT fry the port. This is contrary to what some other posts mentioned WAAAYYY back in this thread. I'm hoping that maybe this will save some folks a sleepless night thinking they fried their switch while they wait for a new cable to arrive.

I did order the cables mentioned, but also made one of these which worked great. I guess I have several options now when the other cables arrive.

Last edited:

diode

Mar 13, 2023
I found this cable: Amazon.com: Aexus Cisco Console Cable 6 ft with USB Type A to Mini-B CAB-Console-USB= : Electronics

Reasonably priced and does away with needing an added converter at the computer end. Has anybody tried these?
That's the cable that I had purchased and it does NOT seem to be working. After having a panic attack yesterday thinking that I just turned my new switch into e-waste, I am to understand that what you linked is a traditional USB cable and does not provide FTDI required to access the port.

See my previous comment where I finally understood that a console cable != a serial cable; these are two distinct characteristics.

Either that, or my switch is defective and I have no clue what I'm doing (very probable) :)

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
I found this cable: Amazon.com: Aexus Cisco Console Cable 6 ft with USB Type A to Mini-B CAB-Console-USB= : Electronics

Reasonably priced and does away with needing an added converter at the computer end. Has anybody tried these?

It's just a normal USB-A -> Mini-USB cable without FTDI.

jode

Jul 27, 2021
Received my ICX6610 a couple of days ago. I actually invested in a "factory new" unit. Assumed benefit is a couple of years of less wear on fans and other components. It's quite surprising (to me) finding "factory new" unit after that model has officially been EOL'ed for 5 years. I do appreciate the console cable, stack cables that came it ;)

Unit came with Version:08.0.10gT7f3 installed (anybody willing to guess a manufacturing date based on this?). But following the excellent install script I had it updated and licensed in no time. I am a very happy camper at this point.

I spent the last couple of days fitting it into my network mostly as a dumb switch w/ vlans and reading through this thread. I'm about 300 pages in and feel I have accumulated enough knowledge to start my next steps. Except ...

/rant
I am dumbfounded by a product that was introduced in this millenium, inherently dependent and favoring a cli management approach that has such a limited and borked command line experience. Paging, anybody?
/rant

Well, as I am trying to setup some form of iterative, agile improvement to my switch configuration by submitting lists of commands (scripts) via ssh
I run into the good-old "Protocol error, doesn't start with scp!" and found the official Ruckus response to this issue here.

How do y'all manage a reasonable complex configuration if it is seemingly impossible to submit scripts to the switch? Links/instructions appreciated.

Reactions: kpfleming

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
anybody willing to guess a manufacturing date based on this?
No need to guess..

Do a
show pid and it will happily show you some info, e.g. for an ICX7450-48:
Code:
ICX7450-48 Router(config)#show pid
Version Number: 0003
Part Number: 84-1002599-02
Serial Number: CYQ3334L053
Bench test: Passed
Burnin test: Passed
Test Date: 09/01/15
Date of manufacture at CM: 09/02/15
Date received at factory: 09/02/15
Date of burn in: 09/02/15
Mfg Test: Passed
RMA Date: 00/00/00
RMA Info: 
LID info: pattern=b6cd, LID in EEPROM=easIIIJnFKI, LID str=easIIIJnFKI

Reactions: jode

jode

Jul 27, 2021
No need to guess..

Do a
show pid and it will happily show you some info, e.g. for an ICX7450-48:
Code:
SSH@ICX6610#sh pid
Version Number: 0000
Part Number: 84-1003347-01
Serial Number: 2ax5o2jk68e
Bench test: Passed
Burnin test: Passed
Test Date: 02/03/18
Date of manufacture at CM: 02/24/18
Date received at factory: 02/24/18
Date of burn in: 02/03/18
Mfg Test:
RMA Date: 00/00/00
RMA Info:
LID info: pattern=b6cd, LID in EEPROM=H4CKTH3PLN8, LID str=H4CKTH3PLN8
So much to learn ... ;)

klui

Feb 3, 2019
/rant
I am dumbfounded by a product that was introduced in this millenium, inherently dependent and favoring a cli management approach that has such a limited and borked command line experience. Paging, anybody?
/rant
So much to learn ... ;)
Don't know what you mean.

It's also in the last command reference PDF provided by @fohdeesha under Scroll Control.

jode

Jul 27, 2021
Don't know what you mean.
I read both the manual as well a the command reference.

Even in the last millennium it was pretty common for a paging app to adjust its behavior to terminal size and not be hard coded to 23 lines. If it did I think I'd not comment on it. But in 2023, where 4k displays are a common thing, a pager hard-coded to 23 lines is pretty annoying.

The fact that it's possible to turn this default behavior off is laudable, but that cannot not even be made a persistent behavior and you need to remember to do that every time you log in.
Oh, yes, if you forget this in a new session as you elevate your connection through the levels this basic command is not available in every level and you need to exit back out just to turn off paging.

Code:
SSH@ICX661>skip-page-display
Unrecognized command
SSH@ICX6610>enable
No password has been assigned yet...
SSH@ICX6610#skip
skip-page-display Enable continuous display
SSH@ICX6610#conf t
SSH@ICX6610(config)#skip-page-display
Unrecognized command
Actually, I don't want to come across as a party pooper - I am actually pretty stoked about the switch and its capabilities.

I just want to learn how to use it effectively. As you can tell it's still eluding me ...

Reactions: klui

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Then those are valid criticisms; your first post was ambiguous.

I'm pretty sure you'll have more challenges when it comes to VLAN tagging on the ICX 6000s.

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
How do y'all manage a reasonable complex configuration if it is seemingly impossible to submit scripts to the switch? Links/instructions appreciated.
With TFTP.
"copy tftp startup-config A:B::C:D filename.txt"
then reboot.

I've started a git repo, and as I make changes to the running-config, I copy that to my TFTP server, then to my git repo, so I can track the changes as I'm making them. If I really break it, I have yesterday's configuration ready to reload and reboot.

It might be possible to copy from tftp to running-config, but I'm not sure whether all the errors and feedback are important or can be ignored.

Reactions: jode

jode

Jul 27, 2021
With TFTP.
"copy tftp startup-config A:B::C:D filename.txt"
then reboot.

I've started a git repo, and as I make changes to the running-config, I copy that to my TFTP server, then to my git repo, so I can track the changes as I'm making them. If I really break it, I have yesterday's configuration ready to reload and reboot.

It might be possible to copy from tftp to running-config, but I'm not sure whether all the errors and feedback are important or can be ignored.
Awesome. This, or rather something similar, is what I am looking for.

Strictly speaking, you have a pull configuration, right? Or did you find a way to initiate the copy command from outside of the switch?

I am looking for a push configuration, where I can develop in git and push configuration changes via a delivery pipeline.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Even in the last millennium it was pretty common for a paging app to adjust its behavior to terminal size and not be hard coded to 23 lines. If it did I think I'd not comment on it. But in 2023, where 4k displays are a common thing, a pager hard-coded to 23 lines is pretty annoying.
There is no 'paging app' involved here. You are using a dumb-terminal interface, which barely supports any sort of control mechanisms at all (it doesn't use colors or highlighting or anything else), and most likely is unable to query the attached terminal to find out how many lines it can display at once. Even though you are connecting to it over SSH, it's still the same dumb-terminal interface :)

Reactions: fohdeesha

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
Awesome. This, or rather something similar, is what I am looking for.

Strictly speaking, you have a pull configuration, right? Or did you find a way to initiate the copy command from outside of the switch?

I am looking for a push configuration, where I can develop in git and push configuration changes via a delivery pipeline.
Well, I've been making live changes and testing them on the switch, saving the running-config as I *think* it's working, and writing to the startup-config a little less frequently. I wonder if you might be able to use ssh and an expect-script to send the commands to the switch to pull files from TFTP to running-config or startup-config.

Be advised, I ran into a strange situation: 1/2/4 was monitoring a bunch of other ports. I undid that option in the web-interface, but the port itself was still mirroring traffic, until I rebooted the switch ("reload", described as a warm-reboot). So simply loading the config file may not give you the same result as the reboot.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
@fohdeesha is there a way to make thr dhcp server in a brocade icx6450 authoritative? I setup some pools and some of my devices cannot get an ip from the pool but others can. I don't have the luxury of setting up ISC dhcpd on another device.

Last edited:

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
dhcp server
Plus, ISC-DHCP-Server is end of life.

Since you say "some pools", I assume you've got multiple vlans, multiple virtual interfaces, or some other construction going on. It'd be helpful to post the results of "show ip dhcp-server address-pools" and/or "show ip dhcp-server binding". If all pools are in state "active", then "show ip address" will help to map the pools against the interfaces, and "show running-config vlan" seems to be the most concise way to confirm ve, port, and vlan relative to each other.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
Oh ok, I didn't know ISC DHCP is EOL.

Correct, multiple VLANs with ve's since I want interVLAN routing using this L3 switch. Nothing fancy.

Code:
SSH@mainswitch#show ip dhcp-server address-pools

Showing all address pool(s):

Pool Name:  main
Time elapsed since last save:  00d:00h:24m:54s
Total number of active leases:  0
           Address Pool State:  active
        IP Address Exclusions:  192.168.31.1 192.168.31.99
      Pool Configured Options:
          dhcp-default-router:  192.168.31.1
                   dns-server:  192.168.100.1
                        lease:  1 0 0
                      network:  192.168.31.0 255.255.255.0

Pool Name:  iot
        IP Address Exclusions:  192.168.32.1 192.168.32.99
      Pool Configured Options:
          dhcp-default-router:  192.168.32.1
                      network:  192.168.32.0 255.255.255.0

Pool Name:  cctv
Total number of active leases:  1
        IP Address Exclusions:  192.168.33.1 192.168.33.99
      Pool Configured Options:
          dhcp-default-router:  192.168.33.1
                      network:  192.168.33.0 255.255.255.0

Pool Name:  guest
        IP Address Exclusions:  192.168.34.1 192.168.34.99
      Pool Configured Options:
          dhcp-default-router:  192.168.34.1
                      network:  192.168.34.0 255.255.255.0

Pool Name:  management
Total number of active leases:  1
        IP Address Exclusions:  192.168.35.1 192.168.35.99
      Pool Configured Options:
          dhcp-default-router:  192.168.35.1
                      network:  192.168.35.0 255.255.255.0
Code:
SSH@mainswitch#show ip dhcp-server binding
Bindings from all pools:
        IP Address    Client-ID/        Lease expiration Type
                      Hardware address

192.168.35.100    001d.xxxx.xxxx   000d:23h:59m:57s   Automatic
    192.168.33.101    fc9f.xxxx.xxxx   000d:23h:59m:32s   Automatic
192.168.33.101 is for an nvr device that has the issue. So it does show in the bindings but the nvr never gets an IP. It is also not pingable from the switch.

Code:
SSH@mainswitch#show ip address
        IP Address       Type      Lease Time       Interface
     192.168.100.2       Static    N/A             1/1/37
      192.168.31.1       Static    N/A             31
      192.168.32.1       Static    N/A             32
      192.168.33.1       Static    N/A             33
      192.168.34.1       Static    N/A             34
      192.168.35.1       Static    N/A             35
Code:
SSH@mainswitch#show running-config vlan
vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port