CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

buz

Nov 5, 2023
Rather miffed (though--ultimately--not really that upset) that I didn't get the SATA data/power cable in my previous shipment :rolleyes:

Blue USB is definitely 3.2 (10Gb) on my 305 v.2 unit.
Any chance to get that one on Ali (very hard to see which one exactly is being sold and they are currently cheaper there than on cwwk.net)? I'd really prefer to have fast USB in case I ever decide to add external drives...

splifingate

Oct 7, 2023
Any chance to get that one on Ali (very hard to see which one exactly is being sold and they are currently cheaper there than on cwwk.net)? I'd really prefer to have fast USB in case I ever decide to add external drives...
Your guess is as good as mine.

I ordered the 305 directly from CWWK (with the expectation that I would receive a 4xUSB2.0 unit), and he/she sent me what I have now.

TvdH

Jul 17, 2013
The Netherlands
Yesterday I ordered CW-AL-4L from topton. I'm curious, with a bit of luck maybe I'll also get version v2? There was a promotion for only $160.

How about RAM compatibility? Intel documentation indicates that the maximum is 16GB of RAM. On some websites I see that they sell the N100 in a 32GB RAM configuration. How's that going?
I contacted CWWK last night and got a response:

Hi CCWK! I'm looking to buy another mini PC: the new N305 model with 4x I226-V 2.5G ports, with the 4*M.2 option. I've seen some rumours online that there is a V2.0 version around which has more USB on the front. Is this correct? Are there other changes?
cwwk
Hello, yes, we have updated the V2 version, we will send the V2 version after you place an order

Reactions: kliguin and karoiz

karoiz

Nov 1, 2023
48GB Crucial CT48G56C46S5.M16B1 works just fine in my N305
Great, thanks for the info! :)

I contacted CWWK last night and got a response: Hello, yes, we have updated the V2 version, we will send the V2 version after you place an order
Unfortunately, I ordered from Topton - we'll see what happens.

I have one more question, I found information that this computer supports a maximum of 2TB NVMe drive. Is that true?

buz

Nov 5, 2023
Your guess is as good as mine.

I ordered the 305 directly from CWWK (with the expectation that I would receive a 4xUSB2.0 unit), and he/she sent me what I have now.
I asked on Ali, let's see what happens

Currently also wondering if I should simply wait considering that a fanless r86s is supposed to arrive in Q1

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
@TvdH heard the same rumors from HUNSN, there 305 is already updated on there Amazon site you need to select the N305 specific to see the pictures of the back with more USB ports. 6x 2.0 and 2x 3.0

@karoiz where did you find that regarding the NVMe max size of 2TB?

Last edited:

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
So the CWWK store is the best Ali seller (and topton to be avoided), did I infer this correctly?
Don't forget HUNSN, you can rely on Amazon shipping and warranty. Also very good support with custom BIOS enhancements, and very good documentation from the motherboards. Well speaking English at Amazon chat contact. I ordered the N305 via HUNSN Amazon, its also the V2 board with 2x USB 3.0 and 6x USB 2.0.

Reactions: splifingate

buz

Nov 5, 2023
Don't forget HUNSN, you can rely on Amazon shipping and warranty. Also very good support with custom BIOS enhancements, and very good documentation from the motherboards. Well speaking English at Amazon chat contact. I ordered the N305 via HUNSN Amazon, its also the V2 board with 2x USB 3.0 and 6x USB 2.0.
Hunsn wants 335EUR, cwwk on ali 270usd. Even if I get slapped with taxes that'd still be cheaper... And the offer I saw was not amazon shipping:

Dispatches from HUNSN EU
Sold by HUNSN EU

- if it was that might be worth it.

Edit: just saw that bizarrely, 8GB/128GB is cheaper at 322EUR

Last edited:

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Hunsn wants 335EUR, cwwk on ali 270usd. Even if I get slapped with taxes that'd still be cheaper... And the offer I saw was not amazon shipping - if it was that might be worth it.
Got it in a lightning deal for 285 included taxes at Amazon. With the new Ali rules I can't predict the TAX and handling costs...my backup plan was the native CWWK site which is without taxes 299dollar. Which make me guess I have the best deal atm.

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Anyone have the bios update instructions?
You should not update the bios when you don’t have a reason. If you google for bios updates it could get wrong unless Mandarin is your second language. Search the forums for “bios update no HDMI output” and rethink.

If your vendor doesn’t provide you a bios and a manual. Stay away from it.

splifingate

Oct 7, 2023
How did you conclude that? Juist curious?

PS: is there a problem with mails from this STH forum? I don't get the "watching" emails only now and then, is this an technical issue?
$ lsusb -tv

AL-4L-V2.0_N305_lsusb-SS-ports.jpg

I have a bog-standard USB3.0 thumb attached to one SS port, and a Vantec NST-205C3-SG (with a 256GB Inland Premium PCIe3 x4 m.2) attached to the other SS port. I am currently booted-into a Void Linux install on one partition of the the Inland/Vantec.

btw, I also don't receive delivery of *all* watched forum thread updates.

splifingate

Oct 7, 2023
I asked on Ali, let's see what happens

Currently also wondering if I should simply wait considering that a fanless r86s is supposed to arrive in Q1
Aye, Man: it never hurts to ask! :)

But . . . there's always something new(er)-and-improved just around the corner.

As the old proverb goes:

"The best time to plant a tree is thirty years ago.
The second-best time to plant a tree is today."

Go get you some new hardware, and have some fun ;)

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
$ lsusb -tv

View attachment 32720

I have a bog-standard USB3.0 thumb attached to one SS port, and a Vantec NST-205C3-SG (with a 256GB Inland Premium PCIe3 x4 m.2) attached to the other SS port. I am currently booted-into a Void Linux install on one partition of the the Inland/Vantec.

btw, I also don't receive delivery of *all* watched forum thread updates.
Thanks this is 100% proof, what an improvement. How did they achieve this, the processor is still the same? A board with extra layers of multilayer PCB to transport more PCIe lanes?

Thanks for the email confirmation, will try to reach out to STH.

tibbe

Mar 17, 2022
The vendor has provided a bios you need to install to use the 4x nvme splitter but the instructions are in Chinese.

Shall I understand your answer as you don't know how to update the bios?

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
The vendor has provided a bios you need to install to use the 4x nvme splitter but the instructions are in Chinese.

Shall I understand your answer as you don't know how to update the bios?
I know how to upgrade the bios tis described here at STH, for me the search to find the correct bios was a big job. To translate Mandarin I used google translate, how does your instruction show up in google translate?

Edit this topic got the procedure which was good for my BIOS update.

splifingate

Oct 7, 2023
Thanks this is 100% proof, what an improvement. How did they achieve this, the processor is still the same? A board with extra layers of multilayer PCB to transport more PCIe lanes?

Thanks for the email confirmation, will try to reach out to STH.
yw

Since 2.5GbE (theoretical) max throughput is about 312MB/s, a PCIe2 x1 lane (theoretical max of 500MB/s) is entirely sufficient for such a device.

It looks like (I believe) that the CW engineers split two of the nine PCIe3 lanes into four PCIe2 lanes, each of which are designated for the i226-V 2.5GbE ports on the AL-4L-V2.0

This leaves us with seven PCIe3 lanes.

Five PCIe3 lanes (x4 + x1) are dedicated to the m.2 interfaces.

The remaining two are bifurcated/distributed amongst the remaining port interfaces (etc.).

I'm not really that good at doing algebra in my head (and I only have 1GbE networking equipment running atm), so this explanation makes sense to me.

See lspci output attached:

AL-4L-V2.0_N305_i226v-pcie2x1.jpeg