CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Radix

Jun 11, 2023
Ordered a 4 port TopTon N100 with the taller fins(variant C) to play with, though I also separately ordered a 32GB ddr5 sodimm.
But you guys are saying now that it doesn't support a 32GB sodimm for the N100 chipset?
Too late now to change things, so guess I'll have to see.

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
Ordered a 4 port TopTon N100 with the taller fins(variant C) to play with, though I also separately ordered a 32GB ddr5 sodimm.
But you guys are saying now that it doesn't support a 32GB sodimm for the N100 chipset?
Too late now to change things, so guess I'll have to see.
They seem to work fine with 32GB SODIMM. Intel has only validated / supported up to 16GB memory with these:

Reactions: Radix

Radix

Jun 11, 2023
They seem to work fine with 32GB SODIMM. Intel has only validated / supported up to 16GB memory with these:
Awesome - good to hear. I saw the 32GB config from TopTon which is why I ordered a 32GB DDR-5 SODIMM to go with my barebones unit - then read forum posts saying it was 16GB only. I already have a drive here to use so didn't want to order it all from TopTon

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
Awesome - good to hear. I saw the 32GB config from TopTon which is why I ordered a 32GB DDR-5 SODIMM to go with my barebones unit - then read forum posts saying it was 16GB only. I already have a drive here to use so didn't want to order it all from TopTon
I’m sure it is OK for home use although not sure if it is some kind of BIOS hack to get it working so I stick with what is officially supported.

ohm

Jun 10, 2023
Anyone knows if there is a BIOS update for the CW-AL-4L-V1.0? Is there a site to download the current version? Mine won't work with secure boot anymore after I disabled and re-enabled it. Clearing the CMOS doesn't seem to help so hoping that re-flashing the BIOS will do the trick.

Thumbtack

Jun 11, 2023
Yes where does one get support for driver or BIOS updates for these Topton or CWWK units ? I don't see any support download page on Topton or CWWK's website.

Last edited:

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Just wanted to state that Topton found no solution for my "black screen" problem. It might depend on the monitors I use. A NO for pure HDMI monitors, a yes for monitors that have compatibility over 1.2 DP version. I got half the systems cost refunded.

cessquill

Nov 30, 2017
Silly question - does it come with a VESA mount? Thinking about bolting one to a rack shelf and putting it on top of the rack.

Also thinking about running pf/opn on Proxmox and migrating my Home Assistant over from an Unraid VM. I've only ever run my firewall on baremetal, so would be interested if this is a stupid idea.

rbanic

Jun 14, 2023
Since my ISPs router seems to constantly keep crashing, and doesn't provide the features I need (primarily the ability to respond to external ICMPv4 requests) I've decided to buy one of these boxes and try to deploy my own. It might be a stupid question for this thread, but what is the suggested amount of RAM to put in one of these machines (I'm looking at https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B0BZJC12VP/)? I have a 1000/500 link which is pretty well utilized (BitTorrent traffic).

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
what is the suggested amount of RAM to put in one of these machines
That really depends. A bare-metal firewall, with just the basics is running on the minimum recommended specs, depending on the firewall you want to use.

But with the prices for RAM are being very low right now, I would suggest at least 8GB, better 16GB. Just grab cheaper (but still compatible) RAM, you would probably not notice it.

Running e.g. virtualization or server services, voip telephony for a huge amount of phones, managing torrents directly on the router (not on clients behind it - not recommended), managing databases ON the router etc. needs more RAM. But these use cases are frowned upon sometimes, for different reasons, mainly because of security issues coming with that.

But if you just want to replace your ISP's crashing box, my recommendation would be to just grab an ARM powered, 4+GB mini Router, like the ones from NanoPi, and you are good to go with the openWRT (they call it friendlywrt) releases from them. Lower power-footprint than a X86 box, lower price-entry - as low as 60$ (with case - only 2x1Gbit) for an R4S (good and secure kernel) or as low as 140 $ (with case) for an R6S (still no good kernel there, but 2x 2.35Gbit and 1x1Gbit) - and you will be fine and happy (especially with the number of connections these mini-routers can handle with ease).

Most people buying a x86 box need the "punch" for virtualization or other demanding services that ARM based routers can struggle with. Reading your "use-case", that is not the case on your side. I would guess your router crashes because of the number of connections BT sometimes relates with.

If you are wondering about wifi support on any routers, stop wondering and grab a dedicated wifi AP and put it in your LAN with a switch or on the 3rd port of the R6S (something like this) instead of using an USB solution with experimental driver support and not the most recent wifi standards and speeds. Just as a recommendation.

But all of that depends, if your router needs a modem to connect with the ISP.

Last edited:
Reactions: lucker and rbanic

rbanic

Jun 14, 2023
Hi, thank you for the really long, detailed, and surprisingly quick response. The only service I might virtualize would be VOIP for 2-3 phones, so nothing much. Torrents are managed on the TrueNAS box anyways, and as you said I want to reduce the "attack surface" on my main entry point to the network as much as possible.

I did initially have a look at the NanoPis, especially the R6S (because of the 2.5gig), which fits my usecase exactly. I want to have 2.5G to the ONT my ISP provides, 2.5G to my PC, and 1G to the rest of the network (my rack which is 2 rooms away) for now because I don't want to run a second wire for my PC from the main switch in the rack. My main consideration really was the support and kernel. I own a couple RK3588 machines and while they're amazing little things, there is no mainline support yet, which I'd like to have if possible on my Firewall (if it's running linux anyways).

Regarding wifi support I've got it sorted there, I'm running some Cisco APs I got a couple months ago.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
I did initially have a look at the NanoPis, especially the R6S (because of the 2.5gig)
which fits my usecase exactly
Good choice, but keep an eye open for kernels closer to mainline support. The modified 4.6 kernels the RK3588 is basically supported with (for now) are spiked with old security vulnerabilities, questionable fixes and so on. If you do not want to risk that, RK3399 models like the R4S have far better mainline kernel support. But since you use it for private use, I would guess the 4.6 custom kernel is even better on the security side than most "ready-to-go" (/once-updated-ready-to-trash - and there are billions of them) router-boxes you buy on the market. And you can update, as soon as kernel support for the RK3588 gets better.

Last edited:

rbanic

Jun 14, 2023
In the end I'll probably go for the N100, also enables me to have the SSD inside in a mirror. Just in case. And I think it's efficient enough.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Sure, also a good choice (you do you). Avoids the kernel issues of newer ARM devices and gives you still more options.

rbanic

Jun 14, 2023
Yeah those are my main concerns to be honest. Plus if I actually take into consideration the price to import it into the EU the price won't be that much different (20-30% probably). And it's much easier to buy a HUNSN N100 unit on Amazon to expense for my business.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Ali has some sale running, the unit is about 22$ cheaper now.
I'm thinking about getting a C variant of the N100 unit. Do your think its worth upgrading from a N5105 v4 (with the A case) to a N100? I'm running OPNsense bare metal on it.

Pros I see:
  • Probably less heat
  • Less power draw (I'm at 10W with the N5105)
  • Nicer case (I like the C case)
  • Can use same m.2
Cons
  • Need to get some DDR5 (I do not have any spares atm)
I would sell the v4, replace my J5005 Gigabyte BRIX or replace the J4125 Qotom at my parents. I'm no way beyond the limits of my N5105, the unit is running strong. I'ts just the "want have" aspect. Should I get one or wait for v2, v3 or whatever? Do you think it's worth it? I sold a lot of old hardware (apu2, old NUC6C etc), now I have some pocket money to spend.