Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
How can the N5105 in this video get even below 4W? I ordered the N5100 instead of N5105 specifically for the lower TDP, and now I am quite buffled to see they behave pretty much inversely to my expectation :)
It also depends a lot on the OS ability to send the device to the lowest power state. My machine is running proxmox, together with cpufrequtils / sysfrequtils. There's a setting in the bios for the minimum cpu frequency that you can also alter. By doing this, I'm getting my machine to run around 1ghz in idle and stays for most of the time in the C2 or C3 acpi states. This is the output of Netdata for the past few minutes. You can see the drastic change in frequency after setting the correct values. My current bios is set at 1ghz min frequency, but I could drop it even more.

Netdata-cpu.png

You also need to keep in mind that your power supply (is it the 12V 4A "liteon"?) below 10W output is most likely really inefficient. So, while your box is effectively drawing 6 watts, at the outlet you're measuring 9W, so an efficiency of around 70%. See my post in the past page about this crappy psu. This is the reason I'm considering a "decent" psu to run the whole rack. Router, switches, IOT devices.

Reactions: Stovar

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Here in Italy most of the breakers I've seen installed in any house's panel are C curve, either C10 for light / low power circuits or C16 for "normal" outlets. The local code (CEI 23/3-1, which applies EU EN 60898-1) I believe specifies either B or C curve breakers for household use. I'd have to ask an electrician friend to be certainly sure.
Same in my country ....but they usually install C .... C is for high powered devices like angle grinders or hydrophores in deep wells, that when start they pull lot of power. Sure in that case you need to use a C curve because B will trip instantly.
But for the regular house hold, B curve should be enough and safer.

I took a bit of time to fiddle with the BIOS setting you mentioned. None of them resulted in a lower TDP when idle, so the summary is:
- ~ 9W running idle, ~ 23 W under load, ~ 1.7W powered off.
So I took a look at the CPU Wattage in HWinfo, where I saw that the CPU was drawing 3 - 4W on idle. So I guess the power transformer might be inefficient. I tried other two supplies I had around (also cheap ones) and there was no difference. I've tried switching the NVMe with a SATA SSD and the TDP stayed pretty much the same. There was nothing else connected.

All this led me to another think I don't get. Take a look at the TDP of J4125, N5105 and N5100: View attachment 25127

How can the N5105 in this video get even below 4W? I ordered the N5100 instead of N5105 specifically for the lower TDP, and now I am quite buffled to see they behave pretty much inversely to my expectation :)

are you running linux ? ....cause windows never really idles like a linux distro.....is always spiking the freq and alwas does something in background.

Cpu package reported by HWinfo add ssd power , ram power, mobo power ....to get the power pulled from the wall

That being said it depends it most likely also depends on the bios..... if you look back in the thread there is a video comapring V1 with V3 .... same CPU n5015 but V1 was boosting to full speed while CPUpackage was pulling under 15w , while v3/v4 pulling 20w
So bios might be and issue

lukasig

Oct 31, 2022
There's a setting in the bios for the minimum cpu frequency that you can also alter.
Can you tell me the specific bios setting that changes the minimum cpu freq? I suspect we're not talking abou pl1 or pl2 here.

This is the reason I'm considering a "decent" psu to run the whole rack. Router, switches, IOT devices.
do you have recommendations for a decent psu?

thanks

lukasig

Oct 31, 2022
are you running linux ? ....cause windows never really idles like a linux distro.....is always spiking the freq and alwas does something in background.
I've tried windows and linux. The lowest I got was on a bare install of ubuntu server. Was idling around 7W.

lukasig

Oct 31, 2022
and apropos my 'obsesion' with low TDP, I have a MSI Cubi 5 10M-033EU that I use as a home server. That unit has a i3-10110U cpu and it idles at 6W measured at the wall.
So I do suspect that a celeron, which has half base speed on 10nm instead of 14nm, should be able to at least match the i3...

Last edited:

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
and apropos my 'obsesion' with low TDP, I have a MSI Cubi 5 10M-033EU that I use as a home server. That unit has a i3-10110U cpu and it idles at 6W measured at the wall.
So I do suspect that a celeron, which has half the cores with half base speed on 10nm instead of 14nm, should be able to draw less power...
Have you tried Windows Server baremetal?

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
no... I am planing to use it with pfsense, but I need to get to know the machine a little before that. A bit of foreplay if you will :)
Here on Ryzen 5825u I'm using Windows Server 2022 with Hyper-V and I'm really enjoying the result.
pfSense pretty stable.

Reactions: kboxvegas

StasT

Oct 23, 2022
It’s time to buy the BOX. What box should I buy 5105 or 6413 for bare metal OPNsence? Difference is about 30 USDs. What is better? Thank you.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
It’s time to buy the BOX. What box should I buy 5105 or 6413 for bare metal OPNsence? Difference is about 30 USDs. What is better? Thank you.
Do you want mSATA or m.2 NVME? 4 or 6 LAN ports? COM Port? Several displays?
I would just answer these questions and then choose what fits best. N5105 and J6413 seem to perform quite similar (according to passmark), no big difference here.

Reactions: StasT and dazagrt

StasT

Oct 23, 2022
Do you want mSATA or m.2 NVME? 4 or 6 LAN ports? COM Port? Several displays?
I would just answer these questions and then choose what fits best. N5105 and J6413 seem to perform quite similar (according to passmark), no big difference here.
I need only 2 ports, one display to install OPNsence, disk doesn’t matter I think. I want just bare metal OPNsence with Adguard.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
I need only 2 ports, one display to install OPNsence, disk doesn’t matter I think. I want just bare metal OPNsence with Adguard.
In this case I would go for a 4 port with m.2 NVME (mSATA is a dying interface, NVME seems more future proof). I don't see any reason to pay for unused features.

Reactions: StasT

Y0s

Feb 25, 2021
I doubt anyone needs yet another option on this thread, but I decided against AliExpress in July and bought a Minisforum TH50 instead. It was $453 including California sales tax, arrived in next day from Amazon, with 16GB (soldered) RAM and 500GB Kingston NVME drive. Only 2x i225 network ports, but way more CPU performance.

I've been running pfSense virtualized on TrueNAS Scale without a single issue for over 3 months now. The unit has a large fan which is inaudible even right next to the unit. Temps have been in the low 30s C, even when the house was warm. I don't have a power meter but my UPS reports 52W for the TH50, my cable modem, my small switch, 2-bay NAS & wifi combined.

Overall the right decision for me. Just a different option for those willing to spend a little more for convenience/certainty.

I intend to consolidate my core services onto the Minisforum over time, so I can move my NAS and other servers to WOL.

Last edited:

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
I believe two m2 drives is a no go in these?
This is incorrect, the only issue is when you are trying to use two Samsung-based NVMe cards together.
So I finally had some time to do some testing and I can confirm that if you are using v3 or v4 (v5 has an additional clock so does not have this limitation);
- Samsung Evo 970 and 980 Pro (and probably all their drives) require a clock so can only have one installed.
- WD Blue SN570, WD Green SN350, Seagate BarraCuda 510 no clock required so can install 2 drives.

Interestingly, based on the theoretical bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x1 you should be able to get just under 1GB/sec.
All the drives above should be able to max out the x1 channel.
The Samsung and Seagate drives topped out at about 850MB/s.
The WD Blue topped out at 770MB/s.
The WD Green only hit 350MB/s.
I expect that the WD Green controller needs to use multiple PCIe channels to get to it's theoretical max of 900MB/s.
So just because the NVMe drive should be able to saturate the PCIe bus, doesn't mean that it will.