Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
So I finally had some time to do some testing and I can confirm that if you are using v3 or v4 (v5 has an additional clock so does not have this limitation);
- Samsung Evo 970 and 980 Pro (and probably all their drives) require a clock so can only have one installed.
- WD Blue SN570, WD Green SN350, Seagate BarraCuda 510 no clock required so can install 2 drives.

Interestingly, based on the theoretical bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x1 you should be able to get just under 1GB/sec.
All the drives above should be able to max out the x1 channel.
The Samsung and Seagate drives topped out at about 850MB/s.
The WD Blue topped out at 770MB/s.
The WD Green only hit 350MB/s.
I expect that the WD Green controller needs to use multiple PCIe channels to get to it's theoretical max of 900MB/s.
So just because the NVMe drive should be able to saturate the PCIe bus, doesn't mean that it will.
Could you elaborate on clock requirement and where exactly does it fit to bigger picture as it related to PCI bus? My understanding is PCIe root complex deliver 100MHz synchronous clock to the end-point, which is NVME is this case. Not really sure what sets the Samsung EVO 970/980 apart from other NVMEs.

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
Can you tell me the specific bios setting that changes the minimum cpu freq? I suspect we're not talking abou pl1 or pl2 here.

do you have recommendations for a decent psu?

thanks
I'll grab the bios settings later tonight, I still need to change a few more settings in mine too. I think it's in either the cpu configuration or the turbo area. By default the value is greyed and at 20 in my case (base freq 20x100 = 2GHz)

Power supplies:

The LRS series seems to be a good price-performance compromise. No PFC, but 88% efficiency and good regulation.

I can find the LRS-100-12 on Amazon at 16€ which is a fairly honest price I believe.

The step above would have been the RSP and HRP series, but we're talking 40-50€ for a 100w unit.

Reactions: lukasig

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
CPU set to 35w
19v 7.89a (5825u) power supply
19V/7.9A - is this the rating of the power supply or the actual power consumption (measured) while running, and if measured during runtime, idle or at 100% usage?

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Power supplies:
The LRS series seems to be a good price-performance compromise. No PFC, but 88% efficiency and good regulation.

I can find the LRS-100-12 on Amazon at 16€ which is a fairly honest price I believe.

The step above would have been the RSP and HRP series, but we're talking 40-50€ for a 100w unit.
Another option, especially if you plan to only connect a single devive: https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/files/pdfs/productPdfs/MW/GST90A/GST90A-spec.pdf - (89% efficiency)

What you also can do is to order one of those boxes here, remove the plug from the power supply, attach it to the box and then use some thick cables and matching connectors to run multiple machines on the same power supply. Yes, you risk to shut down all of them if the ps fails, but you save yourself from haveing multple power supplies running in the range of below 10W power range whre the efficiency is lower than above. I am using such a gsta90a to supply 12 V to a firewall/router (a J3160 box), a NAS (Q1900 asrock) and ethernet switch.

Reactions: Stovar

yahyoh

Sep 9, 2022
Well. Topton shipped my Box, but the Aramex tracking number still showing no data since yesterday. so i guess they just used a fake tracking number to avoid aliexpress to cancel the order as there was only one day remaining for auto refund...i guess if no updates till tomorrow i will contact aliexpress support.

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
Could you elaborate on clock requirement and where exactly does it fit to bigger picture as it related to PCI bus?
Sorry, I only know what has been discussed here... To the effect that the N5105 CPU only has 5 clock sources and 4 are used by the NICs so that leaves one for the PCIe. I assume the 6 NIC version already has a second clock source.
The v5 of the board includes a AU5426 to provide additional clock sources for the PCIe bus.
I don't really know much more than that. It's been a long time since I used to work in low level hardware and never on intel.

TimoVerbrugghe

Nov 2, 2022
Ey everybody,

So decided to order one of these boxes, trying to get the i226 models based on the recommendations from the latest STH video.

Was wondering if I should choose the "Model-A" version here or the "Model-B" version (Patrick recommended the B model apparently because it's a larger chassis)?

Or should I go cheaper with the "model-C" version that's less chassis, but has holes on the side? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004658201823.html

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Outta curiosity, can anyone explain the big differences between Ryzen 5825U and 5800U ?!? They are so close together - and I've been tempted to get possibly a 5800U unit instead (a bit cheaper) - performance seems to be equivalent as is Max TDP of 15W:

1667400812554.png

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Outta curiosity, can anyone explain the big differences between Ryzen 5825U and 5800U ?!? They are so close together - and I've been tempted to get possibly a 5800U unit instead (a bit cheaper) - performance seems to be equivalent as is Max TDP of 15W:

View attachment 25133
I believe reading somewhere that the 5825U can be pushed to 25W, which otherwise would be defaulted to 15W in BIOS. So more like overclocking to squeeze extra performance. I would stick with 5800U.

Thorror

Sep 16, 2022
19V/7.9A - is this the rating of the power supply or the actual power consumption (measured) while running, and if measured during runtime, idle or at 100% usage?
I don't own the device but on Loksing is a review with screenshots concerning power consumption.

The product is correct. It is powered on by USB and entered into Ubuntu Linux 20.04.3. After the boot, the measured power consumption is about 6-9W (about 24W in BIOS), which saves power ^_^ than expected

Reactions: Becks0815

kboxvegas

Feb 12, 2016
As you probably know, Aliexpress is running the 11.11 promotion of $3 off every $30. You can add the coupon "1111US30" at check out to take $30 off $200 orders. I got an AMD Ryzen R5-5600U (no ram, no SSD) from CWWK for $296.36, including tax and shipping. I just want to share this information with you all.
I just did the same this morning after telling myself that everything is perfect with my current three V4 N5105's. That price to Passmark score is just so impressive that I had to find out for myself since the STH guys have not got to review theirs yet.

Last edited:

efahl

Oct 17, 2022
US California
Or should I go cheaper with the "model-C" version that's less chassis, but has holes on the side? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004658201823.html
Well, I just ordered one of those model-C versions a few hours ago. My application is bare metal router, so minimal CPU torture, but I got that one because I'm curious how the thermals compare to the beefier cousins. If you can wait a week (ha ha, more like a month!) until I get mine, I'll report back.

Reactions: TimoVerbrugghe

kboxvegas

Feb 12, 2016
I've run a quick test on the psu that came with the unit. This one is unlikely a genuine LiteON device. Efficiency stabilizes above 10W at around 80-82% and never goes higher. OCP hits at 3.95A, so I expect this to be a 3A or lower psu instead of a 4A as declared. My mains voltage during the test was 238V.

View attachment 25106

The assembly quality is garbage as usual. The chassis looks good but effectively the assembly itself lacks. Probably they had spacers ready for another model and used the same + a goop of thermal paste. In light load you might not notice it, with higher draw (especially considering this device can hit above 30W in) it will definitely throttle.

The psu is also an evident case of rebranded chinese stuff, if in the future I'll buy a meanwell PSU for the whole rack I'll gladly tear apart and take a look at this one.
I was thinking about doing some crude efficiency testing on the N5105's with some extra 30 & 65w GaN PD chargers that I have lying around as some boast up to 95% efficiency and are super easy on the budget. I ordered some 65w PD to 12v and 20v 5.5x2.5mm emulators since I now have a 5600U based unit on the way as well LOL. I am curious as to what I will find.

Thorror

Sep 16, 2022
I believe reading somewhere that the 5825U can be pushed to 25W, which otherwise would be defaulted to 15W in BIOS. So more like overclocking to squeeze extra performance. I would stick with 5800U.
The 5800U can also be pushed to 25W. The 5825U has just a little bit more clock

Reactions: rfox

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
The 5800U can also be pushed to 25W. The 5825U has just a little bit more clock
The 5825U scores well above the 5800u (this ad image score is inverted according to the CWWK)
Even the 5825U is capable of reaching 35w (configured via BIOS)

Reactions: RiX

Eggroll

Aug 31, 2022
Yep, i'm concerned about that case. Other lots describe that "smaller" box with N5105 with "V4", but there is small numbers of reviews. I think this small box is well suited for J4125, thats cooler. Another lot, more reviews: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004533608403.html
Well, I just ordered one of those model-C versions a few hours ago. My application is bare metal router, so minimal CPU torture, but I got that one because I'm curious how the thermals compare to the beefier cousins. If you can wait a week (ha ha, more like a month!) until I get mine, I'll report back.
I got the model C V4 5105 a few weeks back and repasted and shaved down the standoffs. Running bare metal OPNSense and get around 40'C idle with low 60'Cs under load. Definitely not a bad little unit.