Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Sure thing. Patrick mentioned in one of the video reviews that the power brick for these tends not to be very efficient. What are people replacing them with?
meanwell din rail mounted in the main electrical panel.

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
meanwell din rail mounted in the main electrical panel.
Looking up those DIN / panel mount 12V PSUs, they're still 86-88%, which is about the same efficiency I've seen for decent quality wall / plug-in adapters. If you were to run a long 12V cable from the electrical panel to your PC though, it would reduce the efficiency quite a bit because of voltage drop / sag from cable resistance. A 50ft 16AWG cable with a 3A load would have a voltage drop of about 10%.

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
I am not even sure the power supply I got with my unit is a genuine LiteON or a rebranded something else. There is no reference online for the part number I've got (PA-1480-5M04), also the sticker (see my post on the previous page) is significantly different from other models I can find online. I've only found a sale on taobao for what looks like the same psu I've got.

Possibly an OEM part?

looking for similar models, I've come across the PA-1041 on their site, which is a 12V 40W device rated at 88% efficiency. I do have a variable power load, I'll try mine with at a few different current levels.

Both my switches also operate on 12V power, so I could theoretically use a single power supply instead of having multiple bricks in the network rack. Meanwell does make some really nice devices, have a look at the HEP Series. The 100W version does does offer a 92% efficiency and 98% power factor at 12V (part number HEP-100-12A). Only downside is the price, lowest I've found it is 90€. A more reasonable (but still solid) choice could be the HRP-100-12 wich is still 87.5% efficient, active PFC, 12V 100W at around 50€.

T.Sharp

Oct 22, 2022
I am not even sure the power supply I got with my unit is a genuine LiteON or a rebranded something else.
I was thinking the same thing after seeing a few of those "Lite-On" supplies posted here. Chinese sellers are notorious for slapping stickers on cheap PSUs to make them look legit. I notice the sticker on yours has a "Level V" efficiency rating, which has been superseded by Level VI in all the newer reputable brand PSUs I see.

Jakub

Oct 16, 2022
J6413 better choice than a N5105?
J6413 is 11th gen vs 10th gen N5105. J6413 will draw less power and is more efficient. Default clock speeds the N5105 is 200mhz faster, but old microarchitecture. The microarchitectural difference should offset the extra 200mhz. Turbo frequency is the same for both.

GPU graphics the N5105 will perform better. It has more shader and execution units. This should make it better for GPGPU based applications.

If I had to buy a box to run a router, I'd get a i226-v NIC with the J6413. For the do all package, get the 5825U or 5800U. Expensive, but very much worth it considering how much performance you get for the price and the efficiency of Zen 3.

The only thing I would do with the fanless boxes is add a 140mm fan on the bottom. Going with 140mm over 120mm allows it to push more air and is generally more quite than a smaller fan.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
So, I've got my topton mini pc in the mail. It's a pentium gold 7505 variant, with 4 2.5gbe ports.
Thanks for the writeup. it's educational to see that the "good" chassis doesn't necessarily have any better contact with the CPU.

andrea87

Oct 15, 2022
North-east Italy
I've run a quick test on the psu that came with the unit. This one is unlikely a genuine LiteON device. Efficiency stabilizes above 10W at around 80-82% and never goes higher. OCP hits at 3.95A, so I expect this to be a 3A or lower psu instead of a 4A as declared. My mains voltage during the test was 238V.

1667210300926.png

Thanks for the writeup. it's educational to see that the "good" chassis doesn't necessarily have any better contact with the CPU.
The assembly quality is garbage as usual. The chassis looks good but effectively the assembly itself lacks. Probably they had spacers ready for another model and used the same + a goop of thermal paste. In light load you might not notice it, with higher draw (especially considering this device can hit above 30W in) it will definitely throttle.

The psu is also an evident case of rebranded chinese stuff, if in the future I'll buy a meanwell PSU for the whole rack I'll gladly tear apart and take a look at this one.

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
What temp do you get under load? And how noisy is it?
Ambient temperature around 30°C:

At idle, it is around 33~36°C
At full load, it is around 85~87°C
When at idle, up to 55°C the fan is completely off and after this temperature, it increases its rotation.
I confess that up to 68°C it is inaudible (at least in the place where my equipment is installed), already in full load, it is very audible yes.
Remembering that I didn't upgrade the thermal paste, I intend to buy Kryonaut and repaste it.
I'm using Windows Server 2022, running 8 VM's on Hyper-V

Reactions: RiX and omrij

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Hello everybody!
I've been using the Ryzen drive since the beginning of October and it has been working perfectly: Ryzen 5825U + 32GB DDR4 3200 + 2 nvme 256 and 500GB
Too animal performance!

View attachment 25108
Great to hear someone finally got one!! Where did you buy it from? Did you buy barebone? How long did it take to get it? Questions, questions . . . Happy Halloween :eek:

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Great to hear someone finally got one!! Where did you buy it from? Did you buy barebone? How long did it take to get it? Questions, questions . . . Happy Halloween :eek:
Bought at CWWK Store.
It arrived in about 12 days.
Version with 8/256GB

rfox

Jun 10, 2022
Germany
Bought at CWWK Store.
It arrived in about 12 days.
Version with 8/256GB
THX! You located in Europe? 12 days sounds quite quick . . . o_O If you 've been using it since beginning October - then you must have ordered mid-September (before I knew they even existed and I was looking seriously at the 1165G7 models . . . )

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
THX! You located in Europe? 12 days sounds quite quick . . . o_O If you 've been using it since beginning October - then you must have ordered mid-September (before I knew they even existed and I was looking seriously at the 1165G7 models . . . )
I pre-ordered it, to be honest hehe
I live in Brazil, so it was really fast.

Reactions: rfox

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Looking up those DIN / panel mount 12V PSUs, they're still 86-88%, which is about the same efficiency I've seen for decent quality wall / plug-in adapters. If you were to run a long 12V cable from the electrical panel to your PC though, it would reduce the efficiency quite a bit because of voltage drop / sag from cable resistance. A 50ft 16AWG cable with a 3A load would have a voltage drop of about 10%.
Yea i'm pretty much satisfied with the meanwell, the n5105 is 4-5 feet away doesnt get much better than this in my case.

1667224287576.png

Reactions: T.Sharp