BANGING 24-bay barebones deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Any idea if the SC846 chassis will fit a SSI EEB motherboard without having to drill pilot holes for the standoffs?

Reactions: AlphaG

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
BTW - my bet is that with such a small motherboard there is probably a spot for tucking away two SSDs on the Intel controller.
There are optional brackets to install 2.5 and 3.5 inch drives inside the machine. I think the 846 series also allows you to mount a slimline CDROM/DVDROM drive in the back as well not that there's much use for them these days. We have quite a few of these cases at work.

At home, I have an SC847 which is the 36 drive version of this case (24 front, 12 in the back) plus the two brackets that allow a 3.5 inch drive or two 2.5 inch drives mounted internally per bracket. The expander for the 24 drives in the front is the same used in the SC846. It's been rock solid for me, running Hitachi hard drives off an Areca 1882ix controller for the past 4 years.

Charles Renault

Oct 22, 2014
I've looked at their auction a while now. I don't see all the glory in this. You're buying a used power supply. The case will always be good because it's a case. Who knows how long the motherboard will last (how much use did these 20 servers get considering that they're being liquidated). The lowest end CPU for this unit will run you $200-$300, so then why spend that much on the outside when you're going to drop in something that wouldn't make this a worthy purchase? The SAS itself would be NIB at $130, but it's an old generation. You can grab the newest 6 Gb/sec for $99 or 12 Gb/sec for time and a half. What makes this a steal? Because you're getting rails? You can't sit there and compare something old that someone else is trying to get rid of with something brand new and tell yourself it's a deal; there's no relativity to it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I've looked at their auction a while now. I don't see all the glory in this. You're buying a used power supply. The case will always be good because it's a case. Who knows how long the motherboard will last (how much use did these 20 servers get considering that they're being liquidated). The lowest end CPU for this unit will run you $200-$300, so then why spend that much on the outside when you're going to drop in something that wouldn't make this a worthy purchase? The SAS itself would be NIB at $130, but it's an old generation. You can grab the newest 6 Gb/sec for $99 or 12 Gb/sec for time and a half. What makes this a steal? Because you're getting rails? You can't sit there and compare something old that someone else is trying to get rid of with something brand new and tell yourself it's a deal; there's no relativity to it.
So taking the case alone, a lower quality, but comparable 24-bay Norco case usually sells, with rails, for around $475 shipped. That excludes a power supply so falls into "always be good because it's a case" comparison.

That basically means you get the power supplies, SAS controller, SAS expander, and motherboard for $105 shipped. You could get the newer ones but for 24 bays at 6.0gbps you would need three of them to direct attach all of the drives.

For a storage server, you could even use a Xeon E5-2603 which would run about $120 used. RAM you could get cheap 4x4GB DIMMs for under $100. 16GB quad core 24-bay server.

Realistically, with the boards, the oldest these cases are going to be is about 2 years so quite a bit of life left in them. There is not much comparable given that pricing.

Charles Renault

Oct 22, 2014
So taking the case alone, a lower quality, but comparable 24-bay Norco case usually sells, with rails, for around $475 shipped. That excludes a power supply so falls into "always be good because it's a case" comparison.

That basically means you get the power supplies, SAS controller, SAS expander, and motherboard for $105 shipped. You could get the newer ones but for 24 bays at 6.0gbps you would need three of them to direct attach all of the drives.

For a storage server, you could even use a Xeon E5-2603 which would run about $120 used. RAM you could get cheap 4x4GB DIMMs for under $100. 16GB quad core 24-bay server.

Realistically, with the boards, the oldest these cases are going to be is about 2 years so quite a bit of life left in them. There is not much comparable given that pricing.
NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays Server Rack mount RPC-4224
$422.55 & FREE Shipping
Amazon.com: NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays Server Rack mount RPC-4224: Computers & Accessories
http://www.amazon.com/NORCO-Mount-Hot-Swappable-Server-RPC-4224/dp/B00BQY3916/
12 SATA Ports - Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard
9211-8i - $99

12 ports + 8 ports = 24 ports, out the door.

Xeon E5-2603 for E3-1220V2 and you're newly born and modernized.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays Server Rack mount RPC-4224
$422.55 & FREE Shipping
Amazon.com: NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays Server Rack mount RPC-4224: Computers & Accessories

12 SATA Ports - Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard

9211-8i - $99

That's certainly not a bad server you've put together there but it's still missing a PSU, rails, RAM and prices on several of those items. At the end of the day you're looking at over $1000 to complete the build. Patrick's example comes in under that and has some added perks. Owning both Norco and Supermicro I appreciate both but prefer the quality of the latter.

There's nothing wrong with picking lower priced options and going with new over buying used higher end but that doesn't mean this isn't a great deal. Assuming you're looking for these components it's certainly cheaper than you'll find anywhere else for them.

Regardless I'm in for one. Thanks for the heads up on this!

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010

Minor nit but 12 + 8= 20 so you still need to connect 4 more drives.

I dunno though. You've got a point that you can get a new X10 1150. I like the e5 better just because you'd get the option for a second processor and more than 32GB. I mean, if you wanted to do a VM server, you can use 16GB DIMMs or use a second processor and more DIMMs. I'd get an e5-2620 not an e5-2603. You also have the option to add a 10/40 Gig NIC, PCIe storage or whatever you want. By the time you have an onboard and 2 raid cards in an e3 system you are out of pcie lanes.

Both can be good.

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Oh gingersnap! Yea so at $580 this is going to be the deal of the quarter. Drop in a CPU and 4 DIMMs and have a ready-to-go NAS system for well under $1000.

I actually bought this just to replace one of the old norcos. Might get a second now to replace a second norco. No question this is a better value with the SAS2 E1 expander.

BTW - my bet is that with such a small motherboard there is probably a spot for tucking away two SSDs on the Intel controller.
You can actually buy a rearwindow 2x hotswap bay ....
In my case hooked it into the data of my motherboard

MCP-240-84602-0N is the partnr

Reactions: AlphaG

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Patrick, I'm gonna pull one of the X9 motherboards out of the SC846 chassis and I have a Gigabyte MD70-HB0 mainboard coming in this week, do you think I could get it to fit/work in this SC846 chassis? Any ideas as to whether I'd have problems with the power/connectors, and any ideas as to whether I'd have to pre-drill the new motherboard holes into the chassis, or are there already existing threaded holes that will/might work with the MD70-HB0 mainboard? Do you think I could get a MD70-HB0 into this chassis? What are your thoughts?

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
I picked up three of the SC846 chassis, and I would like to put a Gigabyte MD70-HB0 mainboard into one of them.

Do you think the MD70-HB0 mainboard would fit? Also, what should I do about E5-2600v3 CPU heat sinks, and cooling? Should I get the SuperMicro Air Shroud (MCP-310-49003-0N)? What should I use for CPU heat sinks and do I need any CPU fans, or will the SuperMicro Air Shroud suffice?

SC846 - Air Shroud - MCP-310-49003-0N

I plan on installing two E5-2630v3 CPU's on the MD70-HB0 mainboard, as long as I can fit the motherboard into the SC846 chassis. I'm just not quite sure about what to use for heat sinks, CPU fans (if needed) and/or the air shroud. What are your thoughts? Also if I were to get the SuperMicro Air Shroud, do you think the CPU sockets on the MD70-HB0 mainboard will line up nicely with where the SuperMicro Fans/AirShroud would be installed? What do you suggest for heat sinks, CPU fans, and air shroud?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think this is something we are going to figure out. I do still have the Gigabyte board so I can probably fit test that one.

In terms of heatsinks, I want to see what this indeed comes with. Usually getting SM passive ones are a good idea (especially if there is a shroud) and my other go-to options have been Dynatron. For active coolers I would use the SM 4U coolers since I think these are narrow ILM and they are 4U cases.

Reactions: TD_Trader

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just got the notification that mine shipped today via FedEx ground. Now on a cross country journey.

Reactions: TD_Trader

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
TD_Trader, your motherboard should fit fine. You'll need to move around the stand offs and grab a extra one from another chassis, but this chassis does have the pattern for SSI-EEB (I fit my S2400GP4).
When did you pick up yours? Must've missed you by a few hours :)

I picked up two. Both came with 2 heatsinks - square ILM so again, you can reuse these for your board. One came with a shroud, one didn't. Has a compartment for two 2.5" drives inside.