Intel 900P 280GB U.2 drives $229

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Second place*
The kings/queens are dram based nvme ssds*[1] like microchip flashtec and radian rms-200 which can be found for ~$120 or less on ebay :D
View attachment 18325
Left side: Radian RMS-200 8GB
Right side: Intel Optane 900 480GB

*[1] Not considering technologies that work only with vendor X cpus ;)
you are correct as I forgot about the radian cards... will edit my post.

abq

May 23, 2015
Second place*
The kings/queens are dram based nvme ssds*[1] like microchip flashtec and radian rms-200 which can be found for ~$120 or less on ebay :D
View attachment 18325

@i386 do you have any particular recommendations to search for ?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
@i386 do you have any particular recommendations to search for ?
For specific devices:
Code:
radian ("rms-200","rms-250","rms-300","rms-325","rms-350","rms-375")
Code:
adaptec "2284700-R"
More generic search:
Code:
nvram pcie
Don't buy any of these devices without looking up what protocols they use. (Many of these devices use proprietary/non standard protocols and require drivers/software that is not publicly available)

Reactions: abq

abq

May 23, 2015
For specific devices:
Code:
Code:
adaptec "2284700-R"
More generic search:
Code:
nvram pcie
Don't buy any of these devices without looking up what protocols they use. (Many of these devices use proprietary/non standard protocols and require drivers/software that is not publicly available)
Thank you very much for your help and caution on protocols. ...I think you are right, probably a bit too esoteric for my skills;)

NobleX13

Oct 2, 2014
Second place*
View attachment 18325

I need something like this but in a 480GB capacity or greater.... for chia plotting.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
For what it's worth, I just ordered two 280GB 900p's new on Newegg for $249.87 each.

I plan on using them mirrored for my SLOG in ZFS.

They are replacing my two aging 100GB SATA Intel DC S3700's in that role, which should be quite nice.

Had to pick up a Supermicro U.2 adapter card as well, as my server does not have any U.2 ports. And also, the cables. Still pretty pricy...

I'm pretty excited. Maybe I can turn on sync writes everywhere now without any performance penalties!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
For what it's worth, I just ordered two 280GB 900p's new on Newegg for $249.87 each.

I plan on using them mirrored for my SLOG in ZFS.

They are replacing my two aging 100GB SATA Intel DC S3700's in that role, which should be quite nice.

Had to pick up a Supermicro U.2 adapter card as well, as my server does not have any U.2 ports. And also, the cables. Still pretty pricy...

I'm pretty excited. Maybe I can turn on sync writes everywhere now without any performance penalties!
You can get them cheaper from CHina, if that's what you want to do.

You bought them on NewEgg but through a 3rd-Party seller from Hong Kong FYI, not from newEGg itself.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Sorry, but I fail to see in which world that would be a good great offer deal? If it was 800GB - okay. But 280GB??

Depends on what you are using them for. For a regular desktop SSD, nah, there are better choices, especially considering the price.
There are very few drives out there that will beat these for SLOG performance. (the slightly newer 905p's for instance, but the difference is academic) For top level SLOG performance, $200 and change per drive is a fantastic price.

If you look at the SLOG performance chart from the Servethehome review of the newer P4801X it looks like this:

1625089552875.png

And the latency:

1625089671063.png

Which you have to zoom in on:

1625089697517.png

I am thrilled they have come down in price this far.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014

You bought them on NewEgg but through a 3rd-Party seller from Hong Kong FYI, not from newEGg itself.

Fair, but I am more comfortable with ordering through Newegg than I am eBay.

I do kind of hate the "marketplace" thing everyone is doing these days though. I really want to order directly from a major retailer, not from minor player I don't know or trust who sells stuff through them.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
For specific devices:
Code:
Code:
adaptec "2284700-R"
More generic search:
Code:
nvram pcie
The Radian cards use the nvme protocol and worked out of the box passthru'd to a truenas vm in esxi 7.

Don't think these will be an issue for anyone.

Reactions: T_Minus

JediAcolyte

May 29, 2020
US
@evilpaul
I've been watching these drives and they have been consistently listed at this price. Might look at a lot purchase if you need them and want to save some money. Look for a seller with a best offer option.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014

Well, they arrived in good shape. Shipping carton -> Two brown Intel factory boxes, and inside them two sealed retail boxes. Manufacture date is November 2018.

1626204561693.png

I'm always a little nervous ordering from foreign marketplace sellers, but at least thus far this one seems to have turned out OK. (knock on wood)

Let's see what they look like when I pop them in and run SMART statistics.

Edit:

1.) I wish I had known they came with the U.2 cables so I didn't order them.

2.) They are much thicker than I expected. Much thicker than a standard SATA SSD. I hope they fit in the drive brackets in my server...

Last edited:

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
So I got this Supermicro adapter as my Supermicro X9DRI-F does not have any on board U.2 ports...

Does anyone know what the included I2C cable is for?

1626210996035.png

Figuring it might be a Supermicro thing I went looking on my motherboard. I can only find three things labeled I2C, two of them are jumpers up near the last PCIe slot, the other is a connector on down near the power connectors, but it is of a different shape and pincount than the included cable, and the cable would be way too short to reach it anyway...

1626210567473.png

1626210670148.png

I'm guessing it's probably not needed, but who knows?

EDIT:

Looks like this card is made for later motherboards than what my server has which do have the appropriate i2c headers on them.

There is one header on my motherboard which matches, but the manual says it is for i2c for an optional IPMI BMC card (which is surprising since the board has BMC on board already...)

I'm going to try it without the i2c cable and hope for the best. I;m guessing it's just for diagnostic data (like temperature and such) anyway.

Last edited:

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Well, to follow up, the drives are great. Exactly what they are supposed to be.

The server doesn't accept them at all. (I had to test them on my Threadripper workstation)

Some testing and googling suggests that the Supermicro X9DRI-F I am using, while the specs claim it supports PCIe bifurcation, and the BIOS has configurations for each slot, very few people, if anyone at all has actually succeeded in getting it to work.

This is a real bummer since I had planned on grabbing one of those Dell Quad m.2 PCIe 16x adapters and put a bunch of m.2 drives in the server as well, but I believe they depend on bifurcation as well.

I spent several hours last night repeatedly rebooting the damn thing with its super long POST testing slot after slot unsuccessfully, with various BIOS settings, followed by relearning how to create a bootable DOS USB stick to update the BIOS and try again. (that and I chased ghosts for a while, as one of the SSD's in the server randomly died at the smae time I was working, and I thought it was something I did witht he configuration to cause it, turns out the drive just died (but I guess it was overdue after 90,000+ hours of uptime.)

I decided to eat the restocking fee and return my Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4R and instead get a non-R version (Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4) which has a PLX chip in it to avoid the PCIe bifurcation requirement. Wish me luck.

Reactions: Fritz

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Well, to follow up, the drives are great. Exactly what they are supposed to be.

The server doesn't accept them at all. (I had to test them on my Threadripper workstation)

Some testing and googling suggests that the Supermicro X9DRI-F I am using, while the specs claim it supports PCIe bifurcation, and the BIOS has configurations for each slot, very few people, if anyone at all has actually succeeded in getting it to work.
Au contraire! ... Did you expect to find postings like "I've got this mobo and the bios has this option and it works."? Like Jell-o, it's hard to screw up bifurcation. It's dead simple.

I believe you've "thrown the baby (ie, bifurcation) out with the bathwater (the AOC-SLG3-2E4R)". Something on that redriver card is not playing nice with the X9DRI-F.
I decided to eat the restocking fee and return my Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4R and instead get a non-R version (Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2E4) which has a PLX chip in it to avoid the PCIe bifurcation requirement. Wish me luck.
Consider canceling the 2E4 (@$150-200?) and getting instead either:
1. PCIe x8 to 2x SFF-8643 adapter (w/1 cable) [Link] for $45.
or 2. PCIe x16 to 4x SFF-8643 adapter [Link] for $35.

I understand, and appreciate, your hesitancy to buy from unknown/distant sellers. I am quite risk-averse myself. But, after seeing that others (on STH) had purchased from each of the above sellers, I also did, with no regrets. (In both cases, delivery was <17 days after order.)
=====
I'm not cheap -- I'm capital-efficient.

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin