Z10PE-D16 w/ 2x E5-2630 V3 and 256GB DDR4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rsprinkle

Nov 2, 2021
Its sure frustrating, but that's the joy of old hardware. A single v4 CPU boots but dual CPUs do absolutely nothing. Either of the CPUs I have work fine in socket 1. I'm swapping the E5-2680v4 CPUs I have for 2 E5-2697v3 CPUs. They're about the same performance but the newer processors are 120W and the older ones are 145W.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Its sure frustrating, but that's the joy of old hardware. A single v4 CPU boots but dual CPUs do absolutely nothing
we have the same with a Quanta LDA2011-3 system. only after a CPLD Firmware update two V4 comes working.

rsprinkle

Nov 2, 2021
The latest firmware updates from ASUS have been applied to the motherboard. Not sure what else I can do.

heromode

May 25, 2020
The latest firmware updates from ASUS have been applied to the motherboard. Not sure what else I can do.
hi, just typing this from memory, i remember for my z10pe-d8, the latest BIOS isn't necessary at the top of the long list on Asus webpage. Scroll down the list and carefully check the versions. Might be nothing, just thought i'd type it just incase.. My z10pe-d8 runs 2x 2680v4's just fine.

edit: oh yeah another thing. When i was configuring GPU pcie passthrough on my board, while running a remote console on the BMC, it broke the BMC. The mobo started randomly rebooting after like 5 - 15 mins or so for no reason. I spent days hunting for the issue, removing pcie cards and swapping rdimm's.. nothing helped until i finally removed the BMC module. Been rock solid ever since. So if a borked BMC module is able to randomly boot the mobo, that means it might also cause other power related issues. So if your board has one remove that, remove everything except CPU's and 2 rdimms per CPU, until you're sure it's the mobo itself.

If it boots with one CPU in slot 0, swap it to the other CPU, to make sure both CPU's works. Same with rdimm's...

edit2: one final thing, you have both CPU Power ATX12V cables connected right? if possible try another PSU as well.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
where did you get the board ? did not find any Z10PE-D8
or do you mean Z10PA-D8 or Z10PE-D8 WS ?
edit to answer you question, i remember having fears about the revision as well, (edit i remember spending hours googling how to interpret the serial number and deducing the revision from that, after failing to identify the revision from PCB printed text, i never found anything conclusive, but Asus does have some page where they explain all the numbers of the board serial) and it might be the case that you have the old revision and it just won't boot dual V4, in which case there is nothing you can do (edit but if it boots a single v4 my gut tells me it should boot 2 as well, don't give up!!). But do try everything including pulling the BMC and testing both CPU's and RAM first.

Z10PA-D8, sry.. i'm approaching 50 yrs, and i dun care about remembering any details anymore :p

I got the board from this thread way back, when some guy apparently had CPU mined crypto and was dumping a huge amount of those boards at 100 EUR a piece. Combined with 2x E5-2680v4's for 122 EUR a piece from Poland, genuine european server pulls, and used samsung 32GB 2166 rdimm modules for about 55 EUR a piece, it's made a really nice server for the cost. Also scored 3x 800GB Intel DC P3700's for 66 EUR a piece, on arrival they were 1% used, powercycled a total of 5 times lol. Then i scored 2x PNY Quadro P620's for 48 EUR a piece, arrived in mint condition. Add a Solarflare 7022 2x 10Gbit SFP+ card for about 22 EUR, mint condition.

Crammed everything into a Be quiet Pure Base 500 Desktop case (70 EUR), with Be Quiet Dark Rock Slim tower coolers for CPU, and Silent Wings 4 Pro for the case. that's 28/56 Broadwell cores feeding 8x 4K@60 Hz desktop screens plus a bunch of VM's, whisper quiet (all cores at max with S-TUI the CPU's go from 34 degrees idle to about 62 degrees celcius, the dark rock slim fans go from 400 rpm idle to about 600 rpm, settles there, still completely inaudible. the size of a desktop, and for chumpchange. All i need for now.

Oh yeah and using Fractal Design 120mm modular fan to HDD mounting bracket, i can mount 4x HDD's in the Pure Base 500, 2 drives vertically just in front of the 140mm intake fan, by moving the intake fan to the other side of the mounting frame.

Z10PA-D8 - 4x HDD.jpgZ10PA-D8 - Purebase 500.jpg

(these pics still with old cheap pure wings, and HDD's mounted vertically in another pure base 500, but just as example of cheap, quiet, and small)

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
edit i remember spending hours googling how to interpret the serial number and deducing the revision from that, after failing to identify the revision from PCB printed text,
is clearly visible.Z10PE-D16_1.04.jpg
edit but if it boots a single v4 my gut tells me it should boot 2 as well, don't give up!!). But do try everything including pulling the BMC and testing both CPU's and RAM first.
was same on quanta system, one V4 goes, two not because CPLD was oll Firmware, updated Firmware solved the issue.

Reactions: heromode

heromode

May 25, 2020
is clearly visible.View attachment 27671

was same on quanta system, one V4 goes, two not because CPLD was oll Firmware, updated Firmware solved the issue.
Right. In the end my board booted dual v4's right off the bat, so it was no issue. Before my reply turned into a rant, i began with the short comment about on the Asus Page, the latest bios firmware is not necessarily at the top of the list, when you scroll down there might be newer versions hidden in that list of bios versions.. take time looking at the numbers, as a observation, say X point two at the top, then X point 12 down the list.. 12 is higher than 2. But by quick glance it might seem lower because begins with 1. Just wanted to make that point originally.

heromode

May 25, 2020
nah just checked the page myself, Bios versions are now sorted by release date, they weren't back then.. so ignore.. sry

rsprinkle

Nov 2, 2021
I think I just have an older board that doesn't support the v4 configuration. I'm definitely on the latest firmware. I'm a little disappointed but in the end its not that big a deal.