Xeon E7-2890 V2 2.80GHz 15 Cores 37.5MB for $80 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
might be faster to wire it to your brain than trying to source that board :p

edit: there is a small shop in france that seems to have it but I'm not even going to ask how much or shipping..

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Is it really LGA2011 or incorrect listing? IIRC, E7-xxxx series are a different socket like lga1567 or something like that. Never looked into the details.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Those are dirt cheap because any server that takes one isn't. I think most of the dual socket 2011-1 servers are blades. Probably better off just sticking with 2011 or 2011-3. Also keep in mind that any cheap E7-xxxx v1 server you find is 1567, not 2011-1 and won't work.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
this will be hot cake if anyone can find a MB for it. The "consumer" market just don't have anything for 2011-1 socket now.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
can't find that SM board anywhere ;(/. even if you can, what case can you put it in?

The situation sucks because all these E7 cpus are a lot of times so cheap ;( i always want an quad or 8 cpu set up but either cpu too much or MB/system is too much..

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This is a rare bird. Even passmark doesn't have results for it and only a total of 3 for the other variants in the same family.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
would be so nice if we can find an affordable 8 cpu i mean like 8x E7-8xxx is like 120 cores or 240 threads... not to mention the total number of ram slot that would be avail...... only can dream about it.... ;(

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
Convince a factory there's enough market and they'll make one for you, 1000 should be enough
I remember reading in a forum about this some time ago, people were actually discussing this exact thing - whether it's possible to make an adapter for 2011-1 CPUs to work with 2011 boards. And from what I've heard, it's either not possible or extremely difficult. Not only the actual adapter, but the whole thing - you'll have to deal with motherboards BIOS cause they won't be able to recognize an E7 CPU even if you somehow make it electrically compatible (which is not easy as well, since there's quite a significant difference in pins between the sockets). I don't remember the details, but the conclusion was that it's not gonna happen.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I remember reading in a forum about this some time ago, people were actually discussing this exact thing - whether it's possible to make an adapter for 2011-1 CPUs to work with 2011 boards. And from what I've heard, it's either not possible or extremely difficult. Not only the actual adapter, but the whole thing - you'll have to deal with motherboards BIOS cause they won't be able to recognize an E7 CPU even if you somehow make it electrically compatible (which is not easy as well, since there's quite a significant difference in pins between the sockets). I don't remember the details, but the conclusion was that it's not gonna happen.
The Matrix has you...

When you free your mind, nothing is impossible.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
This is my first time hearing of a socket "adapter". I've never seen one used - it sounds like a world of pain and potential bugs. It would be much easier to RE an existing E7 motherboard and adapt it for 1-2 socket. The chipsets are likely clonable as well.

This is how motherboard design is done in general. Make one board and re-use as much design as possible for other variants / SKUs.