Xeon E3-1270 v3 - only has one core working

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PDANZ

Sep 8, 2020
Hi All

I have an ASUS P-9D-M motherboard with a Xeon E3-1270 v3 (4 core, 8 thread CPU).

When I install Proxmox or Windows only 1 core is working. I have confirmed this by running "cat /dev/cpuinfo" in Proxmox and then I also installed Windows 2012 R2 just to confirm as well and it is also only showing one core using the CPU-Z utility.

I have reset the BIOS to defaults. I have updated the BIOS to the latest firmware.

What other test could I run to confirm the CPU is busted?

Seems realy strange that other than only using 1 core the CPU is working fine.

Cheers
Pete

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Mem test says only 1 core and had no errors.

I have order a second hand CPU to check the system with. I'll see what happens when I try a different CPU.
Weird, could be a dud CPU. Got another 1150 board to test?

PDANZ

Sep 8, 2020
Hi All,

Quick update on this issue to let you know it is now resolved. I found some jumper pins incorrectly configured and reset the CMOS/BIOS using the jumper pins as well.

The CPU is now showing 4 cores and 8 threads again.

Cheers
PD

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Hi All,

Quick update on this issue to let you know it is now resolved. I found some jumper pins incorrectly configured and reset the CMOS/BIOS using the jumper pins as well.

The CPU is now showing 4 cores and 8 threads again.

Cheers
PD
Sometimes it's the small things that make a massive difference.

incith

Apr 14, 2022
I have this exact motherboard with the exact issue. Hoping OP will post the resolution.

I have also moved ME jumpers, new bios chip, new CPU, etc. Management engine just says it's in recovery mode with 1 core no matter what. Flashed bios again and again and reset and flushed power and so on. Nothing working for me.

incith

Apr 14, 2022
"I found some jumper pins" isn't helping me, sorry. I've already reflashed the bios with ME jumper in recovery, as I already mentioned. I've already cleared cmos with the jumpers as well.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I've already reflashed the bios with ME jumper in recovery, as I already mentioned. I've already cleared cmos with the jumpers as well.
after flash the jumper must be set to default. the first start after update takes longer and may need several restarts to complete ME recovery.
remove Battery ove night. set ALL jumpers to default.

incith

Apr 14, 2022
So I have done that unfortunately -

ME jumper on 2-3
Boot to freedos and flash bios
Power off and unplug
Move ME back to 1-2
Remove cmos battery
Move clrcmos to 2-3 for 15-20s then back to 1-2
Leave cmos battery out for several hours

First boot will show ME status "Hard-M Disabled"

Second reboot shows back to recovery mode, whether I restore optimized defaults in bios or not.

I have also tried an entirely new bios chip.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Second reboot shows back to recovery mode
ok, this state locks the CPU to a single core. the ME is still corrupt, the ME may need som further time to recovery(let the system stay in BIOS screen some minutes)

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
you may check an older BIOS version with older ME for last chance thought.
a new blank chip does not work on all system because the dos BIOS flash procedure does not just overwrites the whole BIOS chip.

incith

Apr 14, 2022
I can try taking the motherboard out of the case tonight to make sure it's not shorting, it's in a 1u that was given to me, just trying to make it usable.

I tried using afudos and other bios utilities and uefitool to make a rom and I did manage to downgrade to 0706 but that didn't work either (that was on old bios chip, I ended up bricking that chip lol)

The new chip came with 2101 on it, you can't easily downgrade from 18xx tho, it doesn't let you.

I change the ME jumper with system off and unplugged

PDANZ

Sep 8, 2020
Hi there

The pins I changed are the ME_RCVR1 and the ME_PWRMODE1.

I can’t remember the exact pin location settings I changed them to but will be onsite to this machine in about a week and can post a photo.

What I do remember is that there are 3 jumper pins all close together, the raid and the 2 ME pins. The pins should not be all set to the same pin settings. They look offset in my machine. Some are set in pin setting 1,2 and the other one is in pin setting 2,3.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

incith

Apr 14, 2022
Hello and thank you for returning!

I cannot find a me_pwrmode in the manual..do you recall where that was?

incith

Apr 14, 2022
Oh my God I found it...my sata cables were covering it up...

It's not in the manual!

It was set to AMT disabled...I'm about to turn it back on I'm certain it'll work now!