X10DRL-i RAID Problem

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Hi there, I have a strange problem with RAID on a Supermicro X10DRL-i that has 2 x S4510 in RAID1 and 2 x WD RED in RAID1.
Sometimes after 1-2 weeks one disk/ssd is thrown out of the RAID randomly, SMART reports show no read/write errors or bad sectors.
The board has 4 x S-SATA and 6 x I-SATA connectors on the board and the HDD/SSD are connected to the I-SATA.

The OS is Windows Server 2019 with latest drivers/firmware/bios

So looking at the event viewer I saw that between 1:00AM/PM and 1:30AM/PM I get multiple errors listed bellow, I don't know what happers between this time and even entered task schedule and checked them one by one and non of them start between 1:00AM/PM and 1:30AM/PM.
Another time I get this errors is after each backup is finished (Windows Server Backup), for example the backup is schduled to start at 3:00AM and it finishes at 3:57AM at the moment the backup is finished I am spammed with the errors listed bellow.
After multiple errors sometimes one of the disks is thrown out of the RAID.
There are days when I don't get any errors even after a backup.

Event ID 4155 "I/O on "DISK_NAME" has failed."
Event ID 51 "An error was detected on device \Device\"DISK_NAME" during a paging operation."

NOTE: "DISK_NAME" is the name of the disk wich is random

What I did:
CHKDSK
Stress tested the RAID's for hours
Different versions of controller driver
Changed OS WS2012R2>WS2019
Updated BIOS
Replaced SATA Cables
Connected drives directly (Bypassing the backplane CSE-825TQ-R740LPB)

PS: Previus to the upper setup I had 2 x Samsung850 Evo instead of the S4510 with Windows Server 2012 R2 and one day one of the ssd's was thrown out of the raid and I wanted to replace it the next day because I thought it was bad but after running the nightly backup it failed the second ssd's and the RAID was gone.
I thought that the problem was the samsung 850 evo's but after purchesing the S4510 I was wrong, the problem relies somewhere else.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
I really tried to find a fix but ended up adding a dedicated RAID Controller and no more problems...

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
I mean, this is Intel fakeRAID we're talking about. It's somewhat fragile and entirely driven by the Rapid Storage Technology driver, so that would be the thing to look at, if you want to be a masochist and not use literally anything else (proper RAID controller, Windows' software RAID, ...).