[WTS] 15.36TB Samsung PM1633a SAS SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
I have about 30 (approx 18 displayed) of these drives which have just been removed from production and were supposed to go into a few arrays, but it looks like plans may be changing, so these are going up for sale.

Samsung PM1633a (Dell/EMC Branded)
Dell/EMC latest firmware CQN3 (no 32k bug!)
POH (Power-On Hours) : ~40k
POC (Power-On Count) : < 20
Drive Writes : 300-500TB range
SMART "Percentage used endurance indicator" : 0% (100% endurance remaining)

All drives are fully tested, no ECC or UCE (Uncorrected) Errors.
No caddies included, we may have some excess Dell/SMC/Cisco M2/M3 caddies upon request.

All prices are shipped CONUS via USPS/UPS 3-day from our CA/APAC depot.
We can ship to EU/Asia (certain countries) as well on request.
Payment via PayPal.

Pricing:
1-3 drives - $1,100/drive
4-7 drives - $1,000/drive
8+ drives - $900/drive

PM1633a-1.jpg
PM1633a-2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
New 15.36TB Gen4's non-vendor drives are going for under $900 on eBay:

Dell 15.36 TB SSD x4 | eBay (4x for $2800 -used)
2 x Micron 9300 Pro 15.36TB U.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Drive Model MTFDHAL15T3TDP | eBay (2x for $900 -used)

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
Thanks for the heads up, but I wouldn't consider that an apples to apples comparison.
NVMe drives have been consistently pricing on the softer end of things and SAS still seems to be holding a bit stronger on an overall basis.

If you look at it from that perspective, it's pretty easy to pick up a SAS shelf or a 24-bay SAS server, but to hold the same amount of storage in NVMe flash, I think you'd be extremely hard pressed to find a JBOF for sale at a reasonable price, with reasonable availability (I still have a Celestica G1 sitting around without an interface card, J2000s are still about 3k and very few on the secondary market, plus who knows what the HCL/Vendor lock in list is like)

Anyhow, I've reduced prices some, but I'm surprised that I didn't see the same comments from @redeamon in a recent FS thread here on STH where another forumer was selling their PM1633a drives at a slightly more expensive price. (a lot of thumbs up in that thread though)

Anyhow, if my pricing still feels expensive, I'm more than happy to accept offers.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
I've noticed the same in the 1.6-3.2TB range - SAS is for sure more expensive than NVMe, presumably due to the exact reason you pointed out. Easy to hook up 24 SAS drives, not so much for 24 NVMe drives.

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
We could run the numbers (I admit this is a bit dubious/debatable), but let's say you go for 24x3.2TB that's roughly 77TB usable with an average idle of 5w per drive, 120w idle + SAS expanders, p/s, fans, etc. You're looking at around 180-220w idle plus cost of removing said heat. Or you could run 5x15.36TB for roughly 25w idle have the same space with far better speed, iops etc. The ToC for the 15.36 config is going to be far cheaper plus you have upgrade options.

SAS pricing has more to do with datacenter servers that lack nvme bays than the availability and cost of SAS disk shelfs. The demand is kept up due to SAS drives needing frequent replacements and the scarcity of SAS drives.

SAS SSDs aren't cost effective due to speed, heat, reliability (Used sas drives tend to be on the older side. often pushing 5+ yrs), etc.

SAS SSDs is a dated tech., and I figured the majority of servethehome users have some NVMe capability. Even an old Dell 630/730xd has 4 NVMe slots.

EPYC boards usually have 4 on board and you always have the option to expand via 16x to 4x4x PCIe adapters with NVMe icydocks i.e., MB699VP-B_4 Bay 2.5" U.2/U.3 NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 Mobile Rack Enclosure for External 5.25" Drive Bay (4 x Mini-SAS HD SFF-8643, no Tri-mode support). Perhaps we could start a thread on how to build a NVMe disk box for cheap. It is totally possible and I build them for clients all the time.

Knowing most of the users on here are bargain shoppers I figured $1300 for a SAS 15.36 is a bit pricey. Of course all of this is my opinion and the right user might find $1300 to be a bargain depending on their use case. However, I figured those users are unlikely to be lurking here.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnJ9MX

ano

Nov 7, 2022
we are actually paying more, for our SAS drives theese days, than nvme.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
We could run the numbers (I admit this is a bit dubious/debatable), but let's say you go for 24x3.2TB that's roughly 77TB usable with an average idle of 5w per drive, 120w idle + SAS expanders, p/s, fans, etc. You're looking at around 180-220w idle plus cost of removing said heat. Or you could run 5x15.36TB for roughly 25w idle have the same space with far better speed, iops etc. The ToC for the 15.36 config is going to be far cheaper plus you have upgrade options.

SAS pricing has more to do with datacenter servers that lack nvme bays than the availability and cost of SAS disk shelfs. The demand is kept up due to SAS drives needing frequent replacements and the scarcity of SAS drives.

SAS SSDs aren't cost effective due to speed, heat, reliability (Used sas drives tend to be on the older side. often pushing 5+ yrs), etc.

SAS SSDs is a dated tech., and I figured the majority of servethehome users have some NVMe capability. Even an old Dell 630/730xd has 4 NVMe slots.

EPYC boards usually have 4 on board and you always have the option to expand via 16x to 4x4x PCIe adapters with NVMe icydocks i.e., MB699VP-B_4 Bay 2.5" U.2/U.3 NVMe SSD PCIe 4.0 Mobile Rack Enclosure for External 5.25" Drive Bay (4 x Mini-SAS HD SFF-8643, no Tri-mode support). Perhaps we could start a thread on how to build a NVMe disk box for cheap. It is totally possible and I build them for clients all the time.

Knowing most of the users on here are bargain shoppers I figured $1300 for a SAS 15.36 is a bit pricey. Of course all of this is my opinion and the right user might find $1300 to be a bargain depending on their use case. However, I figured those users are unlikely to be lurking here.
Decent analysis but you are not correct with Dell R630/730 having NVMe slots. By default, there are no NVMe slots for any of that generation. The R630 only offers NVMe slots in the 10 bay form factor (not nearly as common as the 8 bay version), and even then, you must also purchase the NVMe enablement kit.

My personal take is that NVMe is the path forward, so if/when I actually need the speed/capacity, I'll just get either 2 or 4 big/fast drives instead of 8-24 SAS drives. I have a very itchy "buy it now" finger though so who knows how much sooner the drives will arrive on my doorstep as opposed to when I actually need them. 1.6TB drives of both NVMe and SAS are dropping quick.