Wow... SUPERMICRO CSE-743TQ-1200B-SQ $150 NEW!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
So I saw these posted last night at what already seemed like a good price and a "best offer" option available. I really don't need this thing, but just for grins I shot him an offer I expected to be refused immediately.... He accepted it in less than 30 min.

These are really great cases and come with the 1200W Platinum SQ power supplies. Supermicro rates the chassis at less than 27db

Ebay:
SUPERMICRO CSE-743TQ-1200B-SQ SuperChassis 1200W 4U Rackmount Server Chassis NEW | eBay

Supermicro:
SC743TQ-1200B-SQ | 4U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Reactions: Patrick

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I think it only comes with 1 power supply, still a good price for a in-box chassis!

SuperMicro site is down so I can't load it on their site, so not 100% this is a picture?
Supermicro CSE-743TQ-1200B-SQ Full Tower

If so it looks like the power supply is more ATX Stlye/Size and not the standard Superswamper hot swap found in their 2u, 4u, multinode, etc...

I have a chassis that looks identical to this one and has the 2x PSU common in most of their other chassis we deal with here (216, 846, etc).

SM site loaded! Yep,it says "PS2/ATX 1000/1200W Multi-output power supply, platinum level, Super quiet W/PMbus"

So it's a good deal for a chassis but not super great deal based on what it comes with. I've have had no problem buying the better version for under $300 shipped with hot swap power supplieS (2).

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
I think it only comes with 1 power supply, still a good price for a in-box chassis!

SuperMicro site is down so I can't load it on their site, so not 100% this is a picture?
Supermicro CSE-743TQ-1200B-SQ Full Tower

If so it looks like the power supply is more ATX Stlye/Size and not the standard Superswamper hot swap found in their 2u, 4u, multinode, etc...

I have a chassis that looks identical to this one and has the 2x PSU common in most of their other chassis we deal with here (216, 846, etc).

SM site loaded! Yep,it says "PS2/ATX 1000/1200W Multi-output power supply, platinum level, Super quiet W/PMbus"

So it's a good deal for a chassis but not super great deal based on what it comes with. I've have had no problem buying the better version for under $300 shipped with hot swap power supplieS (2).

I've gone way out my way to avoid anything with 1U redundant power supplies for a few years now based on my experience with the 7048TR and the 920SQ units. I did, however, take your advice and order a second set for my 847 which should arrive soon.. I'm hoping they really are quiet. If so, great. If not, the ATX power supply compatibility will continue to be a huge selling point for me. Honestly, I've never seen a late model redundant 1U PSU fail, and cramming anything that produces heat into a very small space with a 40mm fan can't be optimal.

I've been running SeaSonic PSU's since I started building gaming computers in middle school and have had great luck with them. The 850W SS Titanium I put in my most recent build is highly efficient and absolutely silent... not to mention the benefits associated with modular cabling.

All that asside, isn't a simple power kit PSU and bracket all that's needed to make the conversion to a redundant 1U style? ...Wouldn't most STH members have a box of these types of things laying around the house? @$150 I'm buying it for the case construction.. power supply will probably go in a box.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
All of that sounds fine, and doable just not advised in a business environment where you're spending lots of work ahead of time, and in the end it requires more work to maintain than dealing with what SM, Intel, HP, etc, provided for power :) You'll see many of us here also use Seasonic power supplies, I've got a couple platinum and gold in use on some home servers and EVGA G2 are another popular choice with G3 versions now too can't go wrong with any of those :)

To convert from ATX Style to hot swap will require depending onthe chassis a frame-kit for the power supplies, a power distribution board which has the cables on it and the PSU actually slide/plug into, etc... you can DIY this in ATX case too. I purchased PDB that take the standard SM power supplies and was going to do this too but in the end just got the SuperMicro chassis with it already to go ;)

You'll hit a point in the next week, month, year you'll get very much burned out tinkering and just want things to work ;) lol, been there :) have had dozen+ systems waiting for me to assemble/test from ebay sit on the shelf for months due to burn out ha ha!! Have fun but don't make a bigger time suck for yourself in the future once you're burned out of playing with something new and fancy!! LOL You can't tell I'm speaking from experience here, hahaha, it goes in waves with good ebay deals!! LOL 1 month constant testing 1 month 'off' back to testing then deploying, oh the circle :) LOL!!!

Reactions: mrrensing01

William

May 7, 2015
I agree with T_Minus :)

I am using a system based on that case here right now, mine has dual redundant psu's
Inside is an ASUS x99-e-10g WS and 5960x.
This system makes a lot of noise and I would love to retire it for something that doesn't make so much noise as my workspace is much smaller now.

Reactions: T_Minus

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For $150 this is very good. Nice chassis if you wanted to get a big E5 motherboard and make a deep learning build.

I think you can convert them to rackmount too.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
All of that sounds fine, and doable just not advised in a business environment where you're spending lots of work ahead of time, and in the end it requires more work to maintain than dealing with what SM, Intel, HP, etc, provided for power :) You'll see many of us here also use Seasonic power supplies, I've got a couple platinum and gold in use on some home servers and EVGA G2 are another popular choice with G3 versions now too can't go wrong with any of those :)

To convert from ATX Style to hot swap will require depending onthe chassis a frame-kit for the power supplies, a power distribution board which has the cables on it and the PSU actually slide/plug into, etc... you can DIY this in ATX case too. I purchased PDB that take the standard SM power supplies and was going to do this too but in the end just got the SuperMicro chassis with it already to go ;)

You'll hit a point in the next week, month, year you'll get very much burned out tinkering and just want things to work ;) lol, been there :) have had dozen+ systems waiting for me to assemble/test from ebay sit on the shelf for months due to burn out ha ha!! Have fun but don't make a bigger time suck for yourself in the future once you're burned out of playing with something new and fancy!! LOL You can't tell I'm speaking from experience here, hahaha, it goes in waves with good ebay deals!! LOL 1 month constant testing 1 month 'off' back to testing then deploying, oh the circle :) LOL!!!

Yes and no. I do this because I like the tinkering and the distraction from an obnoxiously heavy and never ending work load/professional life. Once it just "works" and there is nothing else I can add/change/research/fix/learn about, the project no longer serves its purpose.

On the other hand, if It's a finished project that has finally lost its luster and gets assigned to a corporate environment/function, "just works" is optimal. I've yet to put something out which has experienced a failure of any kind, but then again, I obviously like to far over spec for the fun factor, and I'm only a year or so into the server hardware/management game. I'm sure the time will come.

Reactions: trumee and T_Minus

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
For $150 this is very good. Nice chassis if you wanted to get a big E5 motherboard and make a deep learning build.

I think you can convert them to rackmount too.
Patrick,

I believe you are correct in that these can be rack mounted... I'm thinking for $150 it might ultimately be allocated to the PFSense box I brought up in the other thread topic.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Price was originally $250/275. He just happened to take a best offer of $150.

I think shipping ran me $30

Gio

Apr 8, 2017
Debating on this one. My homelab is a Lenovo TS440 E3 v3 that I could "re-cycle" its chassis for a new Supermicro board and the CPU I just ordered.

Shipping to Los Angeles is $80 though - if shipping was lower I would be more tempted... right now even if I flipped my old TS440 for resale I could probably only fetch $300 for it and deal with the hassle of shipping it elsewhere. I could just recycle the chassis/PSU/Fans for my E5 build and try to sell the CPU/mobo on fleebay for a bill or two... hmmm

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Mine already showed up today...
Can you measure how much available space there is after you install an E-ATX board? Looking to see if it could possibly hold 13 x 13 EEATX motherboards.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk