Wow, do Server Racks really weigh this much ???

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ordered a 36u rack from eBay. No sides and mesh front and rear doors. According to the shippiong company it weighs 396 lbs. I didn't think they were that heavy. That must be why they cost so much to ship. :eek:

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Er, no, I wouldn't expect that much. Probably somewhere around 180-220lb for the empty frame I would have thought (reference example - page 9).

It's possible that the company is using the dimensions as a proxy for mass - and don't forget the mass of the pallet and accoutrements (PDUs? Shelves? Fans?)

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
It also depends on if they are shipping it in a big wooden box...

a long long time ago I remember receiving loaded racks... in big wooden boxes... and some of the boxes were built better than the racks... good old HP...

Chris

Reactions: Patriot

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I emailed them to see if the delivery truck will have a lift gate. They said yes. :)

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That rack almost looks like it would take my APC side panels!

Not a bad deal with delivery if you don't have access to boatloads of these locally.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I was surprised to fine a brand new one at that price. Seller has been top notch so far. I asked a bunch of question and all answers were forthcoming within an hour. Even one I asked a 8pm last night.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I would have got one of it included side panels. I looked them up on Google shopping and the cheapest they were going for was ~$700. The rack will be going into a garage which gets very hot during the summer, so I need to be able to direct and control airflow.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
@CreoleLakerFan If this unit is like my APC the side panels will have 0 benefit for air control. The front and rear doors are mesh, the top and bottom are mesh/removable/open. The only real air you can manipulate is the air you put directly in front of the unit, and then passes through the fans&chassis themselves... assuming front-to-rear fan configuration. However, you may have some chassis with side vents/air-flow, and in such cases the entire rack needs to be in a controlled environment because they're not designed to be air-tight. (Some are, and they're way more $$)

Also, IIRC only 2 of my SM chassis have some sort of side vent or holes.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Apparently the side panel kit is over $400 so I decided I don't need them.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Ordered a 36u rack from eBay. No sides and mesh front and rear doors. According to the shippiong company it weighs 396 lbs. I didn't think they were that heavy. That must be why they cost so much to ship. :eek:
I didn't know what a "shock palette" is, so I looked it up. Extra shock absorption in the packing material that allows you to ship the rack with equipment installed.

It doesn't add much weight. Listed shipping weight for your part number is 272 pounds: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04123410.pdf?ver=3
So they "accidentally" added over one hundred pounds, or are using a volumetric calculation of some sort.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Extra shock absorption in the packing material that allows you to ship the rack with equipment installed.
I ordered a bunch of specialty racks (4 sets of 12-24 tapped 23" rails in a 44" deep cabinet, for example) for 3 different sites a few years ago, via Graybar from a manufacturer not mentioned here. Each order (delivered by different carriers at different times) had various damage which required either replacement parts (doors, side panels, missing rail hardware) or whole replacement cabinets. One of the cabinets was actually bent into a parallelogram shape on all 3 axes. I figured this was shipping damage (despite the multiple carriers involved) until I discovered that one of the cabinets had been bashed before being painted and was packed inside an undamaged multi-layer cardboard wrapper and then shrink wrapped.

This has led to an ongoing joke that "the factory is very concerned about shipping damage, so they smash them at the factory before they ship them to make sure".

I'm sure my Graybar rep will cringe when I ask for a quote for another rack in a few weeks...

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Some racks also come with big heavy metal plates to "secure" the rack to the floor for those of us who don't bolt it down. It's a cast iron plate which sticks out of the front and rear bottom of the rack and prevents it from tipping over when you pull out the top two or three 4U Sun Thumper systems all the way. On my 24U HP, it was almost 100lbs of metal.

Reactions: Patriot