Would this be a power supply problem?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MUDHAULER

Nov 11, 2022
I have a DIY pfSense firewall I built 6ish years ago that has been humming along nicely so far. It consists of a Intel Atom C2758 board in a Supermicro SuperChassis 505-203B chasis. The chasis has Supermicros PWS-203-1H power supply.

cse-505-200b.jpg

Over the last 2 days we have had 3 power outages here. This is not unusual, as our area gets them from time to time, and this unit has been through many of them. I have all my appliances, servers and workstations on UPS's due to this so its generally not an issue. All devices are set to auto shutdown when the UPS kicks into battery mode.

Yesterdays outage this unit would not boot back up however, and I noticed the power light was not lit. The network activity lights were blinking, but the fans and main power was not working. Tried serveral times, pulled it from the rack and opened it up cleaned it etc.. After remounting in the rack it booted normally. Forward to this am and we get another outage, same thing happens. This time after I unplugged all the network cables it booted up and has been running fine since.

So, does this sound like a power supply issue? A mother board issue? Something else? Nothing?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I'd try Supermicro first. See if they swap the board. Only then I'd try a flying Dupont female line proof-of-concept with the resistor. Chances are CPU to BMC communication has been dead for months on the board, too. Which as far as I know is not fixable with a single resistor mod.

MUDHAULER

Nov 11, 2022
For anyone who is interested... My RMA submission w/ cross-shipping was approved. Received the new/replacement board next day shipping and all is well now.

Thanks for the suggestions here...

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
For anyone who is interested... My RMA submission w/ cross-shipping was approved. Received the new/replacement board next day shipping and all is well now.

Thanks for the suggestions here...
This is how corporations SHOULD work, unlike QNAP and their hardware bug in TVX-7/8xx. Qnap only extended the warranty by 1 year on affected devices.