Windows cannot be installed to this disk (Help requested)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

GoogleStinks

Jul 1, 2021
Hello, I this seemed like the appropriate place for this thread. I just recently bought my first server and am trying to get it set up the way I want it. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction with my issue (below).

Some basic information:

DL380p G8
2 x E5-2650 v2
16GB HPE 1600 DDR3 RAM
P420i Controller in HBA mode
4 x ST600MM0006 600GB SAS drives (Raid drives)
1 x 256GB NVME in PCIE slot (OS drive)
Firmware updated to latest (BIOS/iLO/Controller)

My issue:

There is currently no OS installed. I would like to ultimately install Proxmox on the NVME drive for my virtualization. But to do that, my research tells me that I need to use software like Clover to place the boot partition on a microSD or USB. So, I am trying to install Windows on one of the drives so that I can then complete the process of installing clover and Proxmox. Problem is, when I boot the Windows Server 2016 install ISO, it shows the drives, but says:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."
Is this because I have chosen HBA mode? And, if so, how can I get around this? I chose HBA mode because I would like to manage the hard drives and RAID directly in Proxmox and it seems that that can only be done properly by passing the drives directly. But perhaps I have missed a step somewhere.

Smart Storage Admin shows:
Smart Array P4201 (HBA Mode)
Controller Configuration Summary: 0 Data Arrays
Only option: Configure Controller Port Mode
Logical Drives: 0
Physical Drives: 4
Unassigned Drives: 0

There's probably an easier way to do this and I'm making it too complicated. Any help would be appreciated.