Windows 7 pro / 64 indexing - server 2008r2 VM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
So after searching in vain endlessly, it seems there's no solution to get Windows 7 pro 64-bit to index a network drive / UNC / NAS that isn't a windows server. Basically an issue since 2008 ? that Microsoft doesn't care to fix (a 'feature').

This is probably stupid, but has anyone created an ESXi VM to run Server 2008r2 so that windows indexing service can run on it the all-in-one NAS? You'd have to pass through the ZFS using NFS, and then the windows boxes would connect to 2008r2 to get files served and proper searching.

Crazy or doable?

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
All my home clients aren’t Windows. But as feeling I see a huge overhead and waste of all good Solaris-ish features. Windows NFS client never been any good.

As a side question, is this a generic issue also affecting more recent Windows versions?

crazyj

Nov 19, 2015
The lack of indexing non-MS network storage affects all windows from 7 onward. I know of a legitimate workaround for 32-bit clients, but there is nothing for 64-bit clients.