WiFi: Ubiquity Networks UniFi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
Is anyone running WiFi phones off theirs?
No and i wouldn't try...roaming between APs doesnt work too well.
I have a client were there is 18 UAP-LR's and one outdoor UAP that I supplied and installed. All are fed from a Cisco PoE managed switch and use the Ubiquiti DC-DC inline convertors at each UAP to reduce voltage drop issues with long cable runs. Also connected the to switch is a management PC (Ubuntu VM) and the client runs SIP phones as well as all data loggers and PDAs for running the factory. Seamless coverage and roaming.

No issues, has been running solid for over a year.

Last edited:

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Running the Pro-AC at home, it's fantastic, I replaced the wifi card in the mac mini (HTPC) with an AC one and I no longer have the buffering issues I was getting with B/G. PC and laptop already had AC in them which is why I spent the extra.

Reactions: Patriot

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
I run a couple LRs at a farm, being able to extend a few hundred feet past the farthest AC outlets really helps with better coverage. Farm is somewhat lightning prone however, which doesn't have to direct hit to kill small circuits connected to long wires :(

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I run a standard UAP at home. Currently running the software on my desktop, thinking about putting it back on my VPS. Can't wait to get a house so I can set it up at a more ideal spot than it is in my apartment.

spazoid

Apr 26, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just bought the UAP-LR after seeing this thread. Holy smokes, does it blow my Linksys E4200 (used only as an AP) out of the water. Huge gain in range! I had to have an extra AP in my annex for guests, but that's no longer necessary.

I almost feel sorry that the range is so good - I have no reason to buy another, so I can't play around with ZH and all that other fun stuff :p

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I had two of the APs - one in the family room downstairs (in the ceiling, pointing down) and the other in the living room under my wife's desk. This generally worked very well, except my step-son's bedroom on the same floor is as far away as you can get from the upstairs AP (and can't get a good signal from the downstairs AP because they are not designed to throw much RF below the units). So anyway, I picked up a 3rd unit and put it in his bedroom under his desk. Log in to the management page, adopt the unit, and... good to go! Damn I love these units! I even have a hand-drawn map/jpeg of the two floors in the house that I imported into the management console so I could drag the APs to the respective locations (and they each have descriptive names, of course!)