WiFi: Ubiquity Networks UniFi

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
A few months ago I got fed-up with the home WiFi network, crappy coverage, overly complicated, roaming didn't work right etc... few issues here & there. After making a list of items required, and checking out different vendors and considering prices, I ended up with a couple of vendors. UBNT and Meraki

I wanted some more features.
  • Guest Portal
  • POE Powered
  • Central management
  • Vendor Supported

I tested one of the Meraki Units, and wasn't horribly impressed with their AP range/throughput, and even less with their portal. While powerful, it's overly "confusing" and poorly laid out.

I ended up switching to Ubiquity Networks; UniFi UAP-Pro and a ToughSwitch-8 Pro to remotely power it.
Prior to the switch I ran 3 Netgear low end WiFi units, flashed to DD-WRT, vlan'ed and trunked, multiple SSIDs etc.

Here is the UniFi UAP-Pro mounted to the kitchen ceiling. The blue light/status ring can be disabled by checkbox in the controller UI. UI is web based, and I've got it running on an AWS VM.

Just got a 3pack to split between my Brother in law, and a friend.

Does anyone else run UBNT gear?

-M

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I have a UAP-LR, nice device for the price. Not getting 600ft, more like 300 to 400 with walls.

tycoonbob

Feb 25, 2013
I have 2 of the standard UniFi's running at home, and we use 3 of the pros in our office at work.

FYI, the UAP-Pro supports 802.3af, so you don't have to buy their PoE switch. Any PoE switch will suffice. Ubiquiti recently announced a new WAP as well, that supports 802.11AC. It's square instead of round, and runs $300-350, to be released in June.

I have a EdgeMax Lite on it's way (for home use to replace my HP WX4400 running IPFire), and am waiting on the next generation of their IP cameras in the hopes that it will have IR.

I love Ubiquiti products!

How much is something like that?
The standard WAP runs about $60-70, while the LR (long range) runs around $100. The Pro version (dual band) runs around $250, I think.

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Running a pair of the normal Unifi AP's at home and have dozens of them in the field at my clients' places. They run remarkably well. Once I set them up, it seems to be the end of the wireless complaints that I get... Looking forward to the new WAP!

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
....and I've got it running on an AWS VM.

-M
Can you provide some detail on how you set this up? What is the monthly cost (I assume that's probably not the only thing you have running on AWS)

Thinking of doing the same, but maybe on Azure

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
Can you provide some detail on how you set this up? What is the monthly cost (I assume that's probably not the only thing you have running on AWS)

Thinking of doing the same, but maybe on Azure
One of the guys from UBNT has created an AMI with 2.3.9 - if you want to try, search for AMI "ami-6b018f02" ... it'll be ready to go. Only thing I did for this one, I increased the drive to 30GB on the instance. As far as cost AWS has a free tier for first time users, pretty much an entire year for free.... after that it's a few $ a month.

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
<cut>
FYI, the UAP-Pro supports 802.3af, so you don't have to buy their PoE switch. Any PoE switch will suffice. Ubiquiti recently announced a new WAP as well, that supports 802.11AC. It's square instead of round, and runs $300-350, to be released in June.
<cut>
Yeah, the UAP runs on Passive POE, I believe they make an adapter to run off a regular POE switch? By default all of the UAP/UAP-Pro/UAP-LR units ship with a respective *POE* injector.
Looking at the UAP-AC, it's listed at POE+ (802.3ab).. wonder if the TS-8 Pro will be compatible, I haven't looked at 802.3at at all.

<cut>
I have a EdgeMax Lite on it's way (for home use to replace my HP WX4400 running IPFire), and am waiting on the next generation of their IP cameras in the hopes that it will have IR.
<cut>
I've looked lightly at their EdgeMAX products, looks attractive, it's built on Vyatta and Vyatta has a free version... I've been using vyatta for years, and run it at home as well, on an Atom chassis.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Someone needs to do a main site guide on this so I can follow along :)

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
Is anyone running WiFi phones off theirs?
Not actual WiFi SIP phones, however soft phones on WiFi devices. Are you referring to the possible issue/delay when roaming/switching between AP's, or the joining of WiFi SIP/VoIP phones?

No and i wouldn't try...roaming between APs doesnt work too well.
ZH in v3 should help with that a lot, I'd think. My guess is the AC standard should help as well, once it becomes more common place, about 3 years down the road?

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I have one. Works great. I have the management SW running on a virtual ubuntu vmware guest.

the spyder

Apr 25, 2013
I have setup several offices and run one at home. I regularly see over 20 devices per AP and across the multiple sites have only had one complaint. For some reason a brand new 2013 MBA will drop it's signal after 3-4 hours connected. Anyone else seen anything like this?

analog_

Apr 28, 2013
I run an Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP something, it's 2.4GHz. I love ubiquiti products, they are simple yet powerful and often support custom-brew firmwares. There's a DD-WRT for this I know. Planning to buy 71-E mpci-e wifi card to build into a old notebook in combination with vyatta. Also checkout their new edge-something wired routers, they come with a vyatta 6.3 fork.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
I just ordered 3 UAP-Pros for a clients place. He will be using Cisco 7925G phones on them, the phones worked fine with a sing UAP-LR, but didn't cover the house.

swflmarco

Mar 28, 2013
Fort Myers, FL USA
I deployed a 3 pack of UAP-LR's at our office about a month back, to replace some Cisco Small Business WiFi APs that needed weekly reboots.
Been solid since. Originally deployed the controller on Windows, now that 2.4.4 is released, took the chance to deploy on Ubuntu, and with a signed SSL cert.
I frequently see 20+ people on a single AP