Why Xeon Phi 7210 machine so slow?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arthur513

Oct 6, 2022
Got an ASRock Rack 2U4N-F/X200/MN 2U server which has 4 blades/nodes inside. Each node has 1 Xeon Phi 7210 plus the built-in 16GB MCDRAM. I installed Windows 10 (had hard time to install Windows server 2019 on them) on 2 of the nodes, But they are so slow. The CPU usage is very high and almost always at over 70%. I am only having 1 Chrome browser opened...

Not sure if anyone had the experiences working with this ASRock Rack server or Xeon Phi 7210 before. Is this slowness normal? Also does anyone know how to get the newer BIOS, firmware for the motherboard. I believe the model is X200D6HM.

Any useful replies will be appreciated.

Attachments

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
try setting the affinity of chome.exe to 4 logical cpus only(task manager)
windows likes thread hopping to get all cores same weared over time, but at that low frq. it costs more time to swap.

Nikuuuuu

Dec 17, 2021
Yea there's probably some weird scheduling thing, would you be able to run a 7-zip 19.00 benchmark in both multi and single core? I think it would be really interesting to see

Reactions: Patrick

Nikuuuuu

Dec 17, 2021
Are you able to run cinebench in single core also?

That processor was basically meant to do the same job that GPUs do(many many small parallel tasks) but with an x86 architecture so that it could run programs built for CPUs. It achieves this by having very weak small cores but having tons of them so it can do many many calculations at the same time, even if each core isn't that strong.

arthur513

Oct 6, 2022
try setting the affinity of chome.exe to 4 logical cpus only(task manager)
windows likes thread hopping to get all cores same weared over time, but at that low frq. it costs more time to swap.
That's a little too much work to do. There are about 10 chome.exe when I only opened one chrome session. :(

arthur513

Oct 6, 2022
@arthur513 device-manager ? all drivers installed ?
wonder if win10 have matching drivers for PHI.
This blade does not have all the drivers installed. Not sure why. The other one does ahve all the drivers installed.... could not find where to download the BIOS, Drivers, firmware for this board...

arthur513

Oct 6, 2022
Are you able to run cinebench in single core also?

That processor was basically meant to do the same job that GPUs do(many many small parallel tasks) but with an x86 architecture so that it could run programs built for CPUs. It achieves this by having very weak small cores but having tons of them so it can do many many calculations at the same time, even if each core isn't that strong.
I am running cinebench in single core on the other blade now. It is slow and taking forever.....

Reactions: Nikuuuuu

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
try to run windows 10 with only 8 cores and check if the performance scales down linear or not.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
quad hyperthreading is only useful with special code. if all threads do the same kind of work, they only wait for each other.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Why Xeon Phi 7210 machine so slow?
my thoughts:
- slow clock (newer consumer cpus reach 5+ GHz, 3-4 tiems faster than this cpu)
- "old" cores/instructions
- chrome is optimized for high clock (not for many cores/threads)
- wrong expectations? it's 2022 and most applications still can't scale beyond 4+ threads

Reactions: arthur513