Which switch is better Cisco WS-C3560G-48TS-S or HP 2910al-48G

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tristimulus

Jan 11, 2014
I'm looking to setup managed 48 port switch
I'm new to managed networking switches.
I have two options now:
Cisco WS-C3560G-48 (used)
Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches Data Sheet - Cisco
HP 2910al-48G (new)
HP Support document - HP Support Center

Power consumption idle
Cisco - 62W
HP - 53W
which means for me because switch will on all the time
Cisco switch is 10$ more expensive per year to operate in power usage.

One major difference
Cisco has ability to setup DHCP, but HP does not.
This is not critical, but some disadvantage of HP switch
I'm not familiar with Cisco iOS, but will to learn if needed.

HP switch has another advantage ability to add 10GB in the future and Cisco doesn't have that ability, so it is less future proof.

Why I need managed switch:
I'm looking to set ups VLAN, to have isolated sub nets.
Need to learn how to do it
Supermicro recommends to have all motherboards with IPMI connection to be in isolated sub nets.
I also want to put printers and some other local devices on isolated sub nets.

So which switch is the better one for me?

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Keep in mind that you'll need some way to route traffic between VLANs. Cheaper managed switches are only L2 devices, while more expensive ones can do some L3 routing. I'm not convinced that there's any reason to break IPMI out onto its own VLAN unless you're going to put some sort of firewall in front of it, but that's a different topic. Generally, switches are lousy at filtering traffic.

The Cisco WS-C3560G-48 seems to be able to do static L3 routing of IPv4 traffic, but not IPv6 or dynamic routing protocols (without an extra-cost license), and costs $499 or so on eBay (buy-it-now) right now.

The HP 2910al-48G seems similar, but can probably route IPv6 on its own and doesn't seem to have an option for OSPF. Looks like it starts around $640 on eBay.

You may also wish to consider something like a Juniper EX3200 or EX4200. They're similarly priced and more capable. They can be equipped with a 2x 10g expansion card, and the EX4200s can be stacked and managed as one device. Juniper's software is quite nice. The downside is that they're fairly loud; I have an EX4200 hiding in my wiring closet under the stairs and it's annoyingly loud if the door is open, and not silent even with the door closed. They probably also draw more power, but I haven't measured it.

Another Juniper alternative would be the EX2200; it loses a few features (dynamic routing), but should be quieter and has a maximum power draw of 76W. That's the maximum draw, not the idle draw, so it doesn't directly compare to your numbers above. They're not a lot cheaper on ebay most days, though.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
IMHO, of the two switches you mentioned, the Cisco is *probably* better, as long as you don't care about ever having it route IPv6 traffic. It seems cheaper, and I prefer Cisco IOS to whatever it is that HP uses these days. I have a HP2910 sitting somewhere, and IIRC it's usable, but the web UI is slow and the CLI isn't well documented.

I still like Juniper better, though, but I have different constraints, so they may not work as well for you.

Tristimulus

Jan 11, 2014
Thanks Scott for pointing to IP protocol differences.

I was not clear.
I've already own both of those switches, and I just want to keep one and sell another

I will check if my Cisco switch has support for IPv6.
HP has build in IPv6 support and is dual stack switch as far as I understand.
My network has so many legacy devices which only support IPv4, and I don't think in near future they will be upgraded.
The only devices which support IPv6 on my network are computers, all other (printers, IPMI, RAID controllers are all IPv4 only now).
So it looks like I can only use dual stack switch if I will need in the future IPv6 support.
Now have only IPv4 in my network.

I'm not concerned about noise, because usually I can easily replace noisy fan with a large one, by opening case and mounting new fan on top of the switch.
I will look at the Juniper options. I can always sell both Cisco and HP and go with Juniper if it will suit my needs better.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Separate VLAN and subnet is largely a security issue. If this is your home lab, other than learning the concepts, there's simply no reason to care about that. Note that technically the Cisco will need to have smartnef to get firmware updates which you may have another means of solving. I don't know if HP is similar.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
My take (am I am admittedly biased as I 'drank the Procurve koolaid' LONG ago) but I prefer the Procurve option (I own a 2910al 48port as well loaded w/ 2x dual port (J9008A SFP+ modules)...it kicks butts and takes names. I posted near line rate speeds from it to Intel X520-DA2's but lost it in 'the crash of 14'. Jumbo cranked up end-to-end makes it sing!

In the end both are good switches that will do 'near line-rate' switching. Procurve cli is drop dead simple to me (I've used IOS for 10+ yrs and procurve typically is nearly 1/2 the cmds to do tha same damn thing on Cisco hehe (vlan assignment anyone, cisco - int gi#/# , sw tr encap dot1q, sw mode trunk, switchport access vlan #, procurve - enter vlan, tagged int#...DONE LOL...if you struggle w/ Cisco to Procurve terminology I highly suggest reading this a time or two.

I ain't gonna lie though, that setup of mine was not cheap...if I had it to do again, I'd probably hold out for a Juniper EX2500 or Brocade ICX series (long as I could get the 4x 10G port licensed up as well) but I have no complaints w/ the 2910al. Quanta LB4M's seems to get good reviews here, the microtik CRS226 that Patrick has been posting about I am trying to resist pulling the trigger on. MUST...CONSTRAIN...MYSELF

http://www.cisco.leu.lt/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ProCurve-Cisco-Interoperability-guide.pdf

EDIT: Can't bitch abt lifetime Procurve warranty either...I've never had to invoke it but heard it works like a charm. That last statement shoudl kinda speak for itself. Owned/operated LOTS of procurve gear over my career and they are solid...5406zl, 3500yl, down the line of 2000 series switches. Nothing wrong w/ that Cisco switch though, just no 10G and your GONNA want that eventually good sir...it happens to the best of us!

Last edited:

Tristimulus

Jan 11, 2014
My version of Cisco has IPBase firmware 12.02 (35) SE,
so it has not IPv6 support and not dual stack.
Firmware updates for Cisco are available, but it will require company name and stuff like that, I did not try it yet.
Firmware updates for HP is free as I understand.
My idea was to learn VLANs mostly.
I probably will try to setup Cisco and see how it will work for me.

Thanks everybody for the input.