Which fiber cable for a 50m (165 feet) outdoor link?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Guys, i'm starting my adventure with fiber. I'll probably get a switch reviewed here on STH, but i have no idea which kind of cable and SPF connectors i should get. I know that single mode fiber is for much more longer distances and that's it. There are so many classes and specifications! Colors too.

Is single mode the best for a 50m connection? Does it necessarily have to be shielded? Rain is the biggest concern.

Thanks in advance, new world for me...

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
How will the cable be physically routed between the buildings? That's a big factor in the decision of whether you need armored cable or not.

What sort of link are you trying to put in place? 1/10/25/40/100 GbE? FC? Something else?

I have a 50 meter link between house and garage using a pair of single-mode fibers (using 10GbE BiDi SFP+ modules), which gives me a redundant link (depending on your switches this can be an LACP bonded link, or a ring connection). I spent less than $200 total for this link.

You can ignore all the classes/specs/colors until you have answers to the questions above; once you have those and you know which type of fiber modules you'll be using, the fiber choices will be drastically narrowed down.

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Yeah, pretty much like yours. 50m, 10G, Garage outside, no mice lol :) Biggest problem is rain/wind.

Thing is, i'm seeing SC, FC, ST, duplex, simplex. That's confusion for me. As long as modules aren't very expensive, i can use whatever.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
Again, you can ignore those until you've decided on the modules you will use; that will dictate the connector type and fiber style.

Will the cable be buried, in a conduit, hanging from poles, laying on the ground, or some other creative option?

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
Just laying on the roof. No conduits, just in the "air" outside. I'll probably use some unmanaged switch. No idea about the modules. Whatever it needs.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
If it's going to be exposed then you will probably want an armored cable; standard cable won't survive exposure to the elements for very long.

The simplest option for you will probably be a pair of these transceivers, plus a 50M preterminated OM3 MMF cable with duplex LC connectors (that cable will be 'aqua' color).

casulo

Nov 30, 2022
10gtek seems to be available close to me. I need to find a shielded cable then. Many thanks for your tips.

sovking

Jun 2, 2011
I have a similar case. House and garage 100 m distance, buried conduit available, can filled with water sometime during the year.
I would like to use with BiDi transceiver 10Gbps could be enough.

Which kind of fiber do you suggest ? Maybe I need one with PE black jacket like ethernet external cables ?