Where to get old Opteron Socket F mainboards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
I'm searching for Dual Opteron boards with 2x Socket F which should support 2400 series Opterons (Istanbul). On Ebay I can't find useful material, because the boards are either MSI K9ND Speedster2 which don't support 2400 series Opterons, or they are OEM boards where I can't find any documentation or BIOS updates.

What do you suggest in this case? Are they really so rare?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think they are so old that they are hard to find. The Opteron 2400 series basically was where Intel started pulling way ahead with the Xeon 5500 series. now, you can get a newer/ faster/ lower power Xeon 5600 server for well under $200: SuperMicro 113M-5 1x Xeon E5620 QC 2.4GHz 8GB (1x 8GB) X8DTL-3F 1x 300GB HDD

You might be able to lookup systems that were dual Opteron 2400 but less popular platform and old. By the time you factor in transaction costs, I bet a lot of the Opteron 2400 stuff is going to recycling.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
I have an H8DME-2 sitting about that I got as part of a package deal that I'm not using. It looks like people are running the 2400 series CPUs in them, but I don't see any official info saying it supports them. Perhaps a BIOS update is needed? Mine has a single CPU installed and 16GB of RDIMMs installed, as well as the IPMI board and I/O shield. I have tested it, and it works well. I just don't have a need for it. Send me a PM if you want to make an offer on it. I'd rather see it get used than sit on a shelf till I get around to recycling it. :)

BlackArchon

Jun 23, 2016
I have an H8DME-2 sitting about that I got as part of a package deal that I'm not using. It looks like people are running the 2400 series CPUs in them, but I don't see any official info saying it supports them. Perhaps a BIOS update is needed? Mine has a single CPU installed and 16GB of RDIMMs installed, as well as the IPMI board and I/O shield. I have tested it, and it works well. I just don't have a need for it. Send me a PM if you want to make an offer on it. I'd rather see it get used than sit on a shelf till I get around to recycling it. :)
Thank you for your offer! I will get an old Opteron server this week and two Opteron 2435 a bit later. However, I do not know if it supports Istanbul Opterons. If it fails me, I will come back to your offer. :)

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Good luck. Hope it works for you, it's always a pain to wait for parts to come in for a project. :)