Where to buy a couple of Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 power boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jlficken

Apr 3, 2019
Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy a couple of these as I'm striking out in my search.

jlficken

Apr 3, 2019

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I was afraid of that too :/ bummer

Looks like all my usual spots are sold out\unavailable, I'd guess SuperMicro doesn't have inventory...
Did you try to call supermicro store and check on status?

jlficken

Apr 3, 2019
I was afraid of that too :/ bummer

Looks like all my usual spots are sold out\unavailable, I'd guess SuperMicro doesn't have inventory...
Did you try to call supermicro store and check on status?
Yeah it's a bummer.

I tried the Supermicro Store but was told they don't sell it and to call their resellers.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Is it really that nobody figured out the easier and cheaper way to manage fan speeds? In general all it takes is some PWM board in between and ethernet control.

jlficken

Apr 3, 2019
Is it really that nobody figured out the easier and cheaper way to manage fan speeds? In general all it takes is some PWM board in between and ethernet control.
I mean I suppose I could just throw a cheap motherboard with IPMI into the machine and have it start up with a FreeDOS USB drive.

I was just hoping to have a little bit simpler solution with the power board route.

jlficken

Apr 3, 2019
I can get them in EU for like 150€ You in USA
Yeah I'm in the USA. I've given up after calling half a dozen places that list them as being "In Stock" when they aren't.

I'm just going to throw this motherboard combo into the chassis along with a FreeDOS USB drive (so it boots) and call it good. All in I'll be at $130 w/ a heatsink and IO Shield so that'll just have to do.

I don't get why the CB3 is so hard to find here and so expensive.

Reactions: tinfoil3d

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Ah, in my particular case (837 with 28 slots) there's no space for anything bigger than -CB3 there...
There just has to be an easier solution...
I can probably ignore the noise, but this amount of cooling is excessive and consumes extra watts. Helium drives run cooler too.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Ah, in my particular case (837 with 28 slots) there's no space for anything bigger than -CB3 there...
There just has to be an easier solution...
I can probably ignore the noise, but this amount of cooling is excessive and consumes extra watts. Helium drives run cooler too.
How hot are your disks? 35 C / 38 is ideal IIRC.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
How hot are your disks? 35 C / 38 is ideal IIRC.
31 to 39C (39 ones being in the rear I guess). I'll still load the chassis with more drives this week. Maybe not too excessive but I never thought HDDs are as sensitive to temperatures as SSDs. I used to run 10~18TB drives with almost no airflow at all in my desk case. And they still go after couple of years.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
As it is with everything if you run it outside of optimal values probability of failures increase.

I personally would not worry about disks running at higher temperatures. If your drives are 3yo plus or more and no SMART errors they will most likely live to 7 / 9 and then mass dieoff is risk. Which is the most dangerous thing that can happen to large array. Massive array + old disks = problems.

At least that is what Google study says:

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Yep, they're all old but individual arrays are made up of disks of various batches(manufacture date months apart)

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
If you look at backblaze data you are running into high risk territory.
My Seagate NVR typically last like 5-7 years some specimen i still use but they backed up every day.

As i said even 45 deg C should be OK but you are increasing probabilities which will become certainties sooner or later.
How much power you will gain?

Reactions: tinfoil3d

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I'm looking at building a big array as well, also mixed disks. It's all data that is replicated elsewhere, and also backed up elsewhere, so it's not like mixing random disks of various sized and odd configurations is going to make my arrays very scary. But I am very curious to see what happens.

The usual advice is all around vibration, temperature and load types, but there is surprisingly little data on what actually happens of you just build a 'bad' array.

One of the things I might do is create a ±44 disk array of old disks (i.e. Samsung disks of various single digit TB sizes) for a while to see if I can get them to fail since they are old consumer drives. I'd be mirroring the entire dataset anyway and speeds aren't all that important either, but considering the reports from Backblaze and Google vs. the anecdotes from failures within days of consumer drives in 'enterprise' arrays, I'm curious to see if they do indeed vibrate each other to death, cook to well-done and lose bits as if they were a dripping faucet.

rtech

Jun 2, 2021
Disks are mechanically pretty simple if the thing vibrates it increases the chances of damaging the surface of the platter by head arm. (bad sectors)
also slowly degrades bearings, loosens tolerances in general.

Would be interesting to know how these antivibration technologies that WD and Seagate came up work.

Last edited: