Whats the deal with U.2 enterprise SSDs selling so cheap?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Why, are they artificially hardware-locking drives now?

Hardware locking should be completely illegal.
I have an HPE NVMe drive cage - 826689-B21, I have tried every trick in the book to make it work outside a non HPE chassis and no luck. The NVMe cables HPE uses appear to be SlimSAS 8i but apparently they're wired differently? Or then it's something to do with the power connector - it's a MicroFit instead of the usual MiniFit used for power connectors. Also the drive caddies themselves are 'active' and the whole thing depends on the BIOS and/or MicroSemi controller chips knowing about the drive cages and turning on/off the fancy lights on the caddies

For whatever reason, HPE likes locking down their hardware and it's all to do with $$$ instead of any other rationale for design choices - this has come back to bite them quite a few times. Now that MicroSemi isn't doing RAID controllers, HPE is busy backpedalling and trying to sell 'passive' caddies that don't have fancy lights and don't need an active connection. But that means taking out your drive cage as well and replacing everything

Oh and HPE never sells the caddies, they are always sold with the drives. Right now I don't think HPE or anyone locks drives - but at some point, some bean counter in HPE is going to go 'hey what if we locked NVMe disks to the mainboard, the way you can lock AMD CPUs?' ...

ano

Nov 7, 2022
hpe now has basic caddies, "active" stuff was on gen10+ and down

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Are you sure that's not a U.3 enclosure? That'd never work with U.2 disks.
Never considered that - although I did check HPE and the U.3 enablement kit has different cages and part numbers. The U.2 enablement kit specifically calls out the B826689-B21

1706897919200.png

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
hpe now has basic caddies, "active" stuff was on gen10+ and down
Isn't that because HPE is shifting to LSI/Broadcom for Gen10+ onwards hence needs dumb (basic) carriers since all the SmartCarrier authentication crap was the MicroSemi HBA controllers?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Why, are they artificially hardware-locking drives now?

Hardware locking should be completely illegal.
Newest powervault box (got 24 slot one for try&buy) does indeed come with drm ssd disks that are unusable outside of it (and you cannot insert any other than specified disks into it). - tried to run them on r640, failed.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: mattlach and Rand__

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Newest powervault box (got 24 slot one for try&buy) does indeed come with drm ssd disks that are unusable outside of it (and you cannot insert any other than specified disks into it). - tried to run them on r640, failed.
I can totally understand disclaimers such as "we cannot guarantee validated performance unless used with correct hardware". That is totally legit. Any intentional sabotage of compatibility, drm lock-ins or lock-outs, or intentional redesigns that serve no other function than locking in or out other otherwise standard components ought to be completely illegal.

Like Federal - "pound me up the ass" Prison illegal...

Enterprise, consumer, it doesn't matter. Everything should be open standards compliant.

Compete by doing the thing better than everyone else, not by intentionally making changes to lock any competition out. That should be just straight up plain illegal (and potentially already is a violation of the poorly enforced Sherman act)

Last edited:
Reactions: bwahaha

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
No one sued them, so its fair game. (someone did sue them in some older ?nahalem? gen poweredge systems as prior it was only allowing dell branded disks all together.)

The dell branded ssd's for r650 also come in with caddies, and screws glued into disk.
*they've changed caddies design in r640, r650's from r630 default design (so you have to unscrew those caddies to use in r640/r630 -- 40% success chance to unscrew, 60% you have to break those caddies off to unscrew)

one of tech's at work been helping me with them
1706914447633.png

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
No one sued them, so its fair game. (someone did sue them in some older ?nahalem? gen poweredge systems as prior it was only allowing dell branded disks all together.)

The dell branded ssd's for r650 also come in with caddies, and screws glued into disk.
*they've changed caddies design in r640, r650's from r630 default design (so you have to unscrew those caddies to use in r640/r630 -- 40% success chance to unscrew, 60% you have to break those caddies off to unscrew)

one of tech's at work been helping me with them
View attachment 34238
Is it the blue or red loctite screwlocker? Or actual glue?

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Now I have to go inspect the few Dell-branded disks we have (hooray for weirdly similar third-party drive trays) and look for those screws you mention. That some sleazy crap to pull.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
buying them from dell premiere sas ssd's, can't share link - but here are similar ones non-premiere. (we also did buy some from xbyte for unity xt storage deal)

https://www.serversupply.com/SSD W-TRAY/SAS-12GBPS/960GB/DELL/09JJC_346343.htm

Last edited:

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Checked our R450 and R750xd machines (all bought from Dell Germany via premier): None of the drives are glued. Neither the 2,5“ sas ssd in the R450 boxes nor the spinning rust in the R750.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
My R440s had the blue loctite on the screws for the SAS HDDs. But they were screwed so tight, ended up stripping a few screws. Maybe someone just used regular loctite by mistake?

DaveLTX

Dec 5, 2021
For PCIe4 there's c-Payne's Gen4 collection SlimSAS gen4 - PCIe Host Adapters

I've personally used their redriver and it gives you 4 NVMe drives at x4 from a PCIe x16 slot, with 0.75m cables. Heck I've even used it on an ASUS Q87 motherboard and it actually works :)

I also picked up a refurb Broadcom switch - the P411W-32P - cheaply at ~ $400. That's one of the few things that can give you surprise removal and hot plug (only tested with a Supermicro X11 DPH-T). NVMe hot-plug is a hot mess and the switch seems better than others at it. If you use it, be sure to read the long forum post over at Level1Techs about it

Also tried to use HPE's 826689-B21 8x SFF drive cage - seemed like a good idea because these things go for $100 at times, have 4x SlimSAS 8i connectors - what's not to like. Except I've never gotten it to work despite powering it correctly and connecting to a variety of AICs, PCIe switches and redrivers. I don't know what magic crap HPE is doing with it's NVMe riser, but that cage doesnt work with normal SlimSAS 8i connections

As for ICYDock - there's some concept products they are harping on about like the CP104 which is a 8x U.2 cage in a 2 x 5.25" bay and uses MCIO (i.e claims to be ready for PCIe5 but no U.3 support) these if they become reality will retail for upwards of $500. ICY Dock also has other useless 9.5mm height drive cages (a lot of NVMe drives are now 15mm because of heatsink fins) and the average price is usually $400 ~ $500 for 4x bays of U.2 NVMe - that would mean $900 for just 8x bays

All in all, it seems buying a refurb Dell or Supermicro server with 16x or 24x NVMe bays is actually a better deal :D
I don't recall a U.3 drive having Gen5 support anyway, the ones with Gen 5 are all U.2 unless im mistaken that CD8P is a U.2 drive