What NAS software and hardware to choose for Intel Atom D525

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

perdrix

Mar 3, 2016
I bought a Lian-Li PC-Q08 fitted with a Zotac NM10 WiFi mobo fitted with an Intel Atom D525 and 4GB ram (may be possible to upgrade to 8GB - TBC).

I'm pretty sure it would be pushing things to run FreeNAS on this setup given that ZFS has a minimum memory requirement of 8GB.

So what software should I be using to to run a reasonable NAS with DLNA media serving capability.

Should I be adding a hardware SAS/SATA RAID card to reduce CPU load, and if so which one (I want 8 internal ports and one external port).

If this mini-DTX mobo isn't up for the job, what mobo and processor do folks recommend that will fit this case (mini-ITX or mini-DTX will fit) and will have low power consumption as I intend this to run 24*7*365.

Thanks lots
Dave

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
On the plane so search very limited but STH did this with 8GB as well. Likely has the model number in that post

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
.. given that ZFS has a minimum memory requirement of 8GB.
There is no such a relation for ZFS as a filesystem.
Oracle Solaris (where ZFS comes from) claims a minimum of 2GB regardless a poolsize.
More is needed for dedup or gives performance as readcache, maybe demands of BSD are a little higher.

8GB minimum or 1 GB/TB is not a minimum for stability, its a thumbrule for a professional or multiuser setup.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I agree with @gea , the RAM isn't really your limiting factor here, unless you want to start doing funky stuff with ZFS or have lots of other memory hogs running on it. Obviously the more RAM you can squeeze in, the smoother things will get. Transcoding on an atom may be a little more than taxing for it though, so you might want to make sure your media is sorted for direct streaming as much as possible :)