What monitors are people using these days?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
as today and later..
still trust my 2X dell 24" MVA monitors, total was ~800 for two :|...
I think got bought in 2007 or 2008:D since the backlight is not LED...
when 1 or 2 dies... I will replace with 3 identical monitors :D... well later...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It's AMAZING how long my Dell monitors have lasted. Those 20.1" I got when they came out and one was my main monitor, then I got two, then eventually the 30", all of which I used daily up until the last year or so... The 20s def. have color and brightness variation now!

Reactions: canta

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I bought a used LP2065 off ebay to match my ZR30w... thing was probably 5yrs old and matches color to my ZR30w.
Also... 3:4 rotated next to a 16:10.... gives me 2560+1200 x1600 matches height and pixel.
I want a higher refresh rate... I want freesync... but I will never have as perfectly matching a setup as this.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I bought a used LP2065 off ebay to match my ZR30w... thing was probably 5yrs old and matches color to my ZR30w.
Also... 3:4 rotated next to a 16:10.... gives me 2560+1200 x1600 matches height and pixel.
I want a higher refresh rate... I want freesync... but I will never have as perfectly matching a setup as this.
In addition to my Dell U3011 which is temporarily out of service, I also have two Dell 2007FPS: 20.1 Dell IPS 1600x1200 with pixel pitch and color temps that match the U3011. I had a 20-30-20 setup that kicked ass. This is not mine, but I had these monitors in this configuration:

Went for a 20-30-20 PLP setup, best decision ever

I have them all wrapped in static bubble-wrap - when I have the time I am going to order some replacement parts from ebay for the U3011 and see if I can get it working again.

iq100

Jun 5, 2012
... when I have the time I am going to order some replacement parts from ebay for the U3011 and see if I can get it working again.
Were you able to get your U3011 fixed? What parts did you replace? I started with two Dell U3011. Still using one. The other developed the well known 'goes black' . Leaving unplugged for awhile would fix it, but eventually NOT. Got Dell to provide free replacement which by that time was a U3014. U3014 is LED backlit and uses much less power. Nice monitors when they work.

TechIsCool

Feb 8, 2012
Clinton, WA
techiscool.com
@CreoleLakerFan @T_Minus They sure do. I am still rocking my 2007WFP displays. 3x running in portrait. The original two that I own have more than 5 1/2 years runtime which I find crazy. There are issues with greys now with a little purple visible on one display and some backlight degradation but for daily use you still don't see it. Doubt we will find monitors built this well for a long time.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
@CreoleLakerFan those 20.1s are the ones I was mentioning too, for the $ they sure lasted a very very very long time.
damn correct!!!

I still has 19" IPS dell that I totally forgot when got bought(could be year 2000) :p. assuming more than 10 years running constantly.

still running..but... the backlight is getting dim... oh boy.....

this is the reason I stick with high-end Dell ultrasharp monitor. much more $ but last more than 10 years :p.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Were you able to get your U3011 fixed? What parts did you replace? I started with two Dell U3011. Still using one. The other developed the well known 'goes black' . Leaving unplugged for awhile would fix it, but eventually NOT. Got Dell to provide free replacement which by that time was a U3014. U3014 is LED backlit and uses much less power. Nice monitors when they work.
I haven't attempted a fix - still yet to order any parts. But I figure it's worth a shot - otherwise it's a $1200 paperweight, because Dell will not service them once they are out of warranty.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
this is the reason I stick with high-end Dell ultrasharp monitor. much more $ but last more than 10 years :p.
Wish I could say that about my Dell Ultrasharp 3011. It went tits-up less than four years after I bought it, and just a few months out of the three year manufacturers warranty.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Wish I could say that about my Dell Ultrasharp 3011. It went tits-up less than four years after I bought it, and just a few months out of the three year manufacturers warranty.
sorry for your ultrasharp.

I usually wait to buy 6-12 months after the release..

as I knew, early 24" ultrasharp had some issue too..
I traded 3 times for my monitor with free return shipping to settle "perfect" ultrasharp haha.

as far... up to 24" ultrasharp. all is running good as today (knocks on the wood).
I has my wishfull thought that my 24" would show something not correct once for awhile, where I can find a new 2X 4K monitor :D

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I have the 24 inch version of that monitor at work and the old 24 inch non LED at home, no complaints

iq100

Jun 5, 2012
Sorry about that. Same story for me. I assume yours went black? Was it all at once or intermittent? My experience was that if I disconnected the power and data cable for a weekend that sometimes when I reconnected the power, I got the OSD. I suspect that some component overheats or has a borderline design. There are many posts on the internet speculating about bad capacitors, inverters, solder joints, control board. Apparently it is NOT the LG panel used, but the components Dell uses in the surrounding circuitry. Because of the number of Internet posts with same symptoms, I believe Dell should call this a product defect. Mine was also just beyond warranty period. I complained and complained to Dell support with NO results. I then reached out to communicate with Michael Dell, CEO. Then Dell shipped a U3014 to replace my failed U3011, since U3011 was no longer available. A good attorney could probably cause Dell to reveal their repair logs and the make/model of failed components that amount to a known product defect. A new car's wheels should not fall off after 3 years! That would be a product defect and require a product recall. But Dell is NOT going to admit this without a class action lawsuit.

I haven't attempted a fix - still yet to order any parts. But I figure it's worth a shot - otherwise it's a $1200 paperweight, because Dell will not service them once they are out of warranty.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Sorry about that. Same story for me. I assume yours went black? Was it all at once or intermittent? My experience was that if I disconnected the power and data cable for a weekend that sometimes when I reconnected the power, I got the OSD. I suspect that some component overheats or has a borderline design. There are many posts on the internet speculating about bad capacitors, inverters, solder joints, control board. Apparently it is NOT the LG panel used, but the components Dell uses in the surrounding circuitry. Because of the number of Internet posts with same symptoms, I believe Dell should call this a product defect. Mine was also just beyond warranty period. I complained and complained to Dell support with NO results. I then reached out to communicate with Michael Dell, CEO. Then Dell shipped a U3014 to replace my failed U3011, since U3011 was no longer available. A good attorney could probably cause Dell to reveal their repair logs and the make/model of failed components that amount to a known product defect. A new car's wheels should not fall off after 3 years! That would be a product defect and require a product recall. But Dell is NOT going to admit this without a class action lawsuit.
Similar experience. The panel itself is fine, it's definitely something else. Mine would intermittently go blank, or one of the inputs wouldn't work, but others would. Once I disconnected it and reconnected it after a couple of weeks and it ran fine for a few hours, then blacked out again. The LED indicates that the monitor has power, but the screen is black.

I was going to try getting a replacement control board for it from ebay ... but I needed to get back up and running, so I ordered a replacement monitor and haven't thought about it much since.

iq100

Jun 5, 2012
If you don't mind my asking, what did you replace it with? On ebay most used/like new U3011 are approx. $600-700. Too expensive, since technology has moved on. I couldn't find anyone, using Google, who actually fixed their defective U3011, but I would bet Dell knows exactly what component fails!

Similar experience. The panel itself is fine, it's definitely something else. Mine would intermittently go blank, or one of the inputs wouldn't work, but others would. Once I disconnected it and reconnected it after a couple of weeks and it ran fine for a few hours, then blacked out again. The LED indicates that the monitor has power, but the screen is black.

I was going to try getting a replacement control board for it from ebay ... but I needed to get back up and running, so I ordered a replacement monitor and haven't thought about it much since.

Last edited:

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
If you don't mind my asking, what did you replace it with? On ebay most used/like new U3011 are approx. $600-700. Too expensive, since technology has moved on. I couldn't find anyone, using Google, who actually fixed their defective U3011, but I would bet Dell knows exactly what component fails!
Seiki Pro SM40UNP 40-inch 4K Desktop Display - Seiki Goes Pro | PC Perspective

Not a 1:1 replacement. I was offended by the idea of paying 1,000 (or more) for another 30", so I went with the 40" 4k. Didn't want a Korean branded display. The Seiki Pro is an MVA, so deeper blacks and good viewing angles, but not as accurate color reproduction as the UltraSharp line. It is a nice upgrade in terms of pixel density and display size. It's really cool for gaming, although I had to pay a friggin arm and a leg for the two 980 ti that are driving it.