What do i need and need to know to operate my own ASN?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
I am thinking of having my own ASN. I know the requirements are like already having a /24 ipv4 block for ARIN, but i am not sure what the requirements are for RIPE in europe. Basically i want to get all the information i need considering managing my own ASN number.

Can i use a software router like the Vyatta vRouter to run my own BGP for the ASN?
If i want to use my provider's network, do i just connect to their router and just let them do the BGP routing? since all connection will pass through their network? just like if i had my switch connected their router?
Is that how it is or what exactly do i need to do to manage the BGP routing?

I am asking this because from what i have heard, it sounds like a very complicated thing like having a network engineer 24/7 and managing and monitoring network, but i am thinking why does it have to be like that if i can just connect to the provider's router and any traffic that comes through the router goes directly to them, just like as if i have my switch connected to them?
Can it be this way?

Thanks.

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
Yes you can use Vyatta. We use it in house here we have 3 upstream ISP. To connect to your provider you will need to peer with them. They will give you a /30 or /29, and a peer address. You will need to config the vyatta with the upsteam ASN, peer address, ips that you will announce. After you get the bgp peer up it will manage the routes for you. You will need a server with a good amount of RAM 1-2 GB. A full internet table will be 300k-400k routes.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Unless you have a good reason, getting an ASN assigned to you will be far more difficult than mustering the hardware and software needed to implement it. One of the first requirements, for example, is that you are directly connected to more than one ISP.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Comcast will do fakey multihoming if you get metro-e and cable service. It's not in any way redundant except for their dual path. Think NAT-ASN - but you know it is a good way to get in the door and get your feet wet!

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
Unless you have a good reason, getting an ASN assigned to you will be far more difficult than mustering the hardware and software needed to implement it. One of the first requirements, for example, is that you are directly connected to more than one ISP.
Well right now am not worried too much about how to get the ASN. I am worried about the management of things. I mean if i am peering directly with the ISP..i am sure they have some redundant network in place...so i can have peer under their redundant network...or that is still counted as 1 ISP? The 400k routes won't be a problem if it is all to be done during setup. I mean do i have to keep adding routes as time goes on as well?

So there is no plug and play i can do just like an uplink from a switch which is plug and play?

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Well right now am not worried too much about how to get the ASN. I am worried about the management of things. I mean if i am peering directly with the ISP..i am sure they have some redundant network in place...so i can have peer under their redundant network...or that is still counted as 1 ISP? The 400k routes won't be a problem if it is all to be done during setup. I mean do i have to keep adding routes as time goes on as well?

So there is no plug and play i can do just like an uplink from a switch which is plug and play?
Move on. You're going to regret wasting your time on this.
You did the research on colocation, firewall appliances and now BGP. Next you're going to see about getting your own 100gbit port at a major internet exchange.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
bgp is like raid, while there are benefits, it comes with a heavy responsibility as well.

Reboot your router too many times? that's a dampening and you are on your own whilst many folks can't reach you any further.

If you do not know how to make a no single point of failure bgp4 setup, you do not want.

Routes are dynamic, and bgp4 does not "bond" nor give you ultimate bandwidth shaping. Just because you peer, doesn't give you the right to change other people's traffic preferences.

I can't imagine why you want this? Let your ISP handle all of this man.

Serious PITA to setup and maintain. I can only imagine how much ram IPV6 will add.

uberguru

Jun 7, 2013
bgp is like raid, while there are benefits, it comes with a heavy responsibility as well.

Reboot your router too many times? that's a dampening and you are on your own whilst many folks can't reach you any further.

If you do not know how to make a no single point of failure bgp4 setup, you do not want.

Routes are dynamic, and bgp4 does not "bond" nor give you ultimate bandwidth shaping. Just because you peer, doesn't give you the right to change other people's traffic preferences.

I can't imagine why you want this? Let your ISP handle all of this man.

Serious PITA to setup and maintain. I can only imagine how much ram IPV6 will add.

Well yes i dont need it for now but i am sure i will need it later on..maybe like 3 years from now.
I will be almost getting my CCIE certification by then anyways...so by then it will be well understood.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I would most certainly hope so :) Most folks with 10+ years of experience have issue passing CCIE

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
CCIE and just thinking about BGP, the difference of Vyatta releases and firewall appliances? Yer full of chit.
I figure that in 3 years you will be asking about how to use your CCNA lab for CCIE. How hard can it be huh?

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Move on. You're going to regret wasting your time on this.
You did the research on colocation, firewall appliances and now BGP. Next you're going to see about getting your own 100gbit port at a major internet exchange.
Yeah sorry to OP but I gotta agree, your last few post topics and supposed needs are all weird, like you're trying to write a paper or blog or something.

If you don't already know all the ins and outs of AS and peering you don't need it. Its like learning the logistics of procuring shipping containers worth of lemons when you run a lemonade stand on your lawn. Talk to the importer for your local grocery store first, theres no shortcuts to scaling things.

PS the real 'logistics' guys are on nanog in my neck of the woods, fishing expeditions will get chewed up and spat out though.

Last edited: