What desk do you guys use

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by modder man, Apr 11, 2016.

1. modder man

modder man Active Member

I am looking at possibly looking for a new desk as I do not like the way 27" monitors fit on my desk. I cannot get the side monitors far enough away from my face.

2. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Well-Known Member

I bought this desk last year and love it. It's really deep (about 30") and thus I have a dual monitor mount on it that allows me to have my dual 24" monitors pretty far back from where I sit if I want them to be. Not cheap though o_O.

Clybourn Desk

[​IMG]

3. Jannis Jacobsen

Jannis Jacobsen Active Member

that looks really good!
    but holy he.. that was quite an expensive desk :)

-Jannis

4. IamSpartacus

Yea I consider an investment. I plan on having it for a very long time.

Jannis Jacobsen likes this.
  5. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

That is one beautiful desk, seriously expensive though. Just wait till the grand kids start doodling on it for you with crayons :D

6. IamSpartacus

Considering I don't have kids yet, I imagine I'll be OK with the desk being written on by then ;).

7. nephri

nephri Active Member

hmmm, i knew that on my TV and monitor..... it was a bad days for me..... and for my childs :)

So i really like this desk, but very ... expensive....

8. modder man

modder man Active Member

Wow, that is much more pricey than I would have expected.

9. IamSpartacus

Yea C&B is no joke. I love their stuff though.

They were running a 20% off furniture promotion at the time though so at least that took $500 off.

10. canta

canta Well-Known Member

I uses L shaped Tampered safety glass table since 2006 due on moving to my "new" home.
    mine is silver color with tinted blue of tampered safety glass.

upload_2016-4-11_16-34-11.png

Jerry Renwick likes this.
  11. mackle

mackle Active Member

IKEA Bekant corner desk here (the successor to the Galant).

I created a raised shelf (for my monitors, m-ITX case, and coffee cups) by trimming a 2'x4' sheet of birch ply to match the shape of the desk and elevated it with some spare mason jars.

12. Blinky 42

Blinky 42 Active Member

I custom-built a desk in the typical L shape sort of like you would have in a cube with the middle section looking like a large 4'x4' square with the corner chopped off so you have a flat 28" wide space to work at + 4' clear in each direction for lots of monitor space, and overbuilt with 3/4" birch plywood & some steel supports so it can handle quite a bit of weight, but doesn't use ugly MDF. Whole thing is 8ft x 8ft so takes up 2 walls in a room.

It has moved between 4 different homes and is almost 20 years old now I think about it. I built it because I didn't have the $ for something fancy that size back in the day, needed it to be easy to disassemble and transport (was in college) and folding tables & plywood on cabinet style desks were not cutting it anymore.

13. modder man

modder man Active Member

THis is probably where I will end up, this or similar to mackle with the bekant's. I think building will likely be cheaper and allow me to get more of what I want though. Are there any pictures out there of yours blinky?

14. Keljian

Keljian Active Member

15. Blinky 42

Blinky 42 Active Member

I'll look and see if I have any when we moved most recently. I would have to seriously clean to have any of it visible except keyboards, laptops, papers, cables, coffee and monitors somehow suspend by some desk-like object. ;)

wsuff, modder man and mackle like this.
  16. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Bush office furniture. I got a bunch when Office Depot, Office Max, Staples, etc... carried it and were closing it out over a couple years many years ago, and have since added more with deals. Average purchase was 50% off and all are in perfect condition.

I then get high-end articulating keyboard arms, and extra wide keyboard tray to mount to the arm (~$175 I believe).
    The keyboard arm let you go in out, up down, angle, pressure, etc... they're my favorite piece of ergo furniture equipment I have.
    Foot rest.
    Steelcase Leap chair

Ergotron monitor arms for side monitors and a big`ol 30" center make up my 'station' of operation :)

Patriot likes this.
  17. thayerz00r

thayerz00r New Member

I've been using the Galant series from Ikea for quite a while in various configurations. I think it was replaced with the Bekant series though. Modular storage is available for them...

We also have a couple VESA mount monitor arms to hold the screens, having these has made a world of difference in desk space and configuration!

18. modder man

modder man Active Member

Yeah monitor arms are very nice to clean up desk space for sure. The problem I have right now with my corner desk is that the corner just isnt wide enough for 3x27".

CreoleLakerFan likes this.
  19. CreoleLakerFan

CreoleLakerFan Active Member

In my home office I have the Sommerville corner desk from Ballard Designs:

[​IMG]

In my office I have the Renate desk - I purchased it from Overstock a few years ago, but it's available a bunch of different places:

[​IMG]

Initially I had both in my home office, but I signed a lease on some office space earlier this year and moved the renate into my work office. I have the hutch for the corner desk, but my 40" Seiki Pro doesn't have a height adjustable base, so I got an Ergotron arm for it and had to ditch the hutch for now. The 40" is great for gaming (when I have the rare free time for it) but sucks for productivity, so

I got a UW3415 for the office, which is awesome, which is also on an Ergotron arm, which is doubly awesome. I usually just use my laptop when I am at home, but I have the option of plugging into the 40" via DP if I need to.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  20. Jon Massey

Jon Massey Active Member

Super-cheap but reasonably deep one from IKEA. Thinking off getting wall mounts for my monitors to free up some desk space, but as it's only a plasterboard partition wall I'm unsure it'll handle the weight!