What are these types of SAS SSD's normally used for?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
I have a small stash of HGST 100 GB SLC SAS3 SSD's (HUSSL4010BSS600) and 400 GB MLC SAS3 SSD's (HUSMM8040ASS204). About 15 in total. I had plans at the time I picked them up but they were half-baked TBH. Now I'm wondering and re-evaluating... can I do amazing, interesting, creative, interesting, useful, or productive things with these?

Currently I am:
  • Building a 5-node cluster with Ceph; the backing network is 40 Gbps InfiniBand but all the nodes have only SATA HDD's in them, i.e., no SSD's yet. The cluster nodes will also have access to a bulk storage NAS in addition to the shared Ceph storage.
  • Building several NAS'es and other storage arrays. One is the home NAS which needs to be very quiet.
  • Building a workstation for multimedia and especially audio asset management, signal processing, editing, composition, and machine learning. This machine has its own local NVMe SSD's and an array of spinning HDD's. It can also communicate with the home NAS as it's on the same network.
What do people normally use such SSD's for? I can imagine a log server is a good option, as these tend to get thrashed on busy services, especially when you're analysing the logs and exracting data on-line.

I'm currently thinking tiers and cache layers in storage systems; and experiments with multipath SSD communication. (Brainstorming.)

If anybody has any idea of how I could productively use these very nice but puzzling HGST drives, I'm all ears.

Otherwise somebody else might have more use for them than I do.

Thanks!!