WD SN640 7.68TB U.2 $250 + shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jason879

Feb 28, 2016
Aliexpress has the WD SN640 for $250 + shipping.

WUS4BB076D7P3E3

Read 3250MB
Write 1970MB
4K READ 467K
4k WRITE 65K
SPEC

4K is not the fastest but for the price there is no complaint.

I bought it last moth for around $315. Now it's lower again.

@~$33.6 USD/TB I don't see any cheapest sata drive can beat this.

Attachments

Last edited:

jason879

Feb 28, 2016
In Chinese local market(Taobao) it is selling around $225. So $250 is not unreasonable. This might not come with WD official warranty although the one I bought can be verified from WD official site. (it might come from different distribution channels )

WD SN640.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2bluesc

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
With the way SSD prices are dropping it feels like by the time this arrives to your door the domestic price for this drive will be similar.

btw what’s the consensus on getting hard drives from china? I know counterfeit NICs can be a problem

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This might not come with WD official warranty although the one I bought can be verified from WD official site.
Verification may work fine, but if it is a fake and if you do have a warranty issue where you send it in when they discover it is a fake, they typically will keep it and you have no warranty or replacement part.

• Haha
Reactions: Cruzader

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
With the way SSD prices are dropping it feels like by the time this arrives to your door the domestic price for this drive will be similar.

btw what’s the consensus on getting hard drives from china? I know counterfeit NICs can be a problem
Yep, that's a good way to look at it.

Consensus here is split. On one hand there's articles like this that preach on the fallacies of buying fakes:

And then there's the crowd that sees no harm in IP theft or marginal quality as long as the price is right. They are more vocal ime.

Personally I'm in the camp of 'no fakes'. I wouldn't touch these if they were giving them away for free (who knows what type of malware/spyware would come with that type of a deal).

• Haha
Reactions: Cruzader

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
Verification may work fine, but if it is a fake and if you do have a warranty issue where you send it in when they discover it is a fake, they typically will keep it and you have no warranty or replacement part.
They keep the property of someone else?

Somehow I can't believe that. Cus, I wouldn't even need a lawyer to win this "case".

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
They keep the property of someone else?

Somehow I can't believe that. Cus, I wouldn't even need a lawyer to win this "case".
If it's a fake item, aka counterfeit, the owners of the IP have rights too.

In every instance that I've read about someone returning what they thought was a genuine item to the manufacturer for a warranty claim, the item was never returned after the manufacturer determined it was fake. In some cases it was kept to pursue legal actions against who made it, and in other cases it was destroyed. The warranty on most items is determined and is at the discretion of the manufacturer when you read the actual legalese. And now with binding arbitration, your lawyer can't even do anything. It's just best not to be on the losing end of this stick.

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
If it's a fake item, aka counterfeit, the owners of the IP have rights too.

At least in Germany they don't have the right to keep it. It's your property, no matter if it's a fake or not. They MUST give it back.

§ 985 BGB

And cus that's the case in Germany, I would guess that's the case in all the EU.

Last edited:
Reactions: grenskul and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
So how can this be verified to be genuine WD drives or not?

OT: I've also seen some Intel NIC's that's stated as "original" like this one from 2013: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004075383590.html
How much trust can be put in these sellers?
In today's market, it's extremely tough if not impossible. Back when I ran into a batch of 'genuine new' Intel NICs, I was able to call Intel and they were able to figure out from the numbers on the box that they were not genuine because the numbers while valid (including the serial number), did not all correlate the way they should. They were able to confirm that the driver CD was genuine however. And this was nearly 10yrs ago. Today's scammers have become very sophisticated, duplicating almost everything in exact detail to the point that the only one that will know the difference is the manufacturer. And that puts us the buyer in a very tricky situation. The only solution I have found is if you're buying new, buy from sources that are 100% legit, starting with the original manufacturer if possible, or get genuine used items from recyclers (even thought I've gotten a pair of fake xeons this way, so even this isn't foolproof).

As far as trust in sellers--none except when they are known to be legit, and definitely none if they're shipping internationally from the third world. Otherwise, treat them as some guy on a street corner with a long trenchcoat asking if you want to buy a watch...

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Binding Arbitration applies only to USA? Right?
Probably not as the venue for disputes is usually also in the USA, so it's 'home court, home rules'. You could take a company to court in another country and get a judgement, but then enforcing that judgement would be impossible due to the lack of an international court and law enforcement across the planet that deals with such things.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
At least in Germany they don't have the right to keep it. It's your property, no matter if it's a fake or not. They MUST give it back.

§ 985 BGB

And cus that's the case in Germany, I would guess that's the case in all the EU.
I'm not sure about the laws in the EU with regards to warranties, but a friend that I spoke to at length about this in the Netherlands told me how there is a lot more transparency as well as recourse with the 'marketplaces' like Amazon and ebay--far more than what there is here in the US. I would assume that this carries over to normal retail product as well, so it is in everyone's best interest for the fakes to stay out of the market, unlike here in the US where it is a free for all atm.

But I'm sure there are other laws that protect the manufacturer as well from 'fake goods', so while they may not be able to keep the goods, they may be able to prosecute the buyer of such fake goods, or something else like that. I don't know the laws there, but they do sound less 'laissez-faire' than here in the US.

efschu3

Mar 11, 2019
No the buyer will not have any problems. Never. *

The original seller of the faked product will get problems if located/registered in the EU (but well - ebayers from china...)

* if you didn't know about the illigality

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
No the buyer will not have any problems. Never.

The original seller of the faked product will get problems if located/registered in the EU (but well - ebayers from china...)
So many things I like about the EU. :)

Yep, that's the game that international sellers play--catch me if you can.

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
No the buyer will not have any problems. Never.
That is not always true.

If you import something about which you know that it is a counterfeit / stolen goods or there is reasonable cause to suspect that it is counterfeit / stolen, you can get into trouble (§§146ff MarkenG, EU Nr. 608/2013, § 259 StGb)

Reactions: Samir and efschu3