EXPIRED WD DC HC520 12TB $75

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
What is the manufacturing date? Is it 2022 as shown on the photos in the listing?
Yep, 2022. Drive looks pristine.

Also like to add that I've bought a ton of 6TB drives from this seller and all were good,

Reactions: Samir

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Drives all look good, only issue I see is they were all manufactured very close to each other (within a day or two) and all are from the same factory.
What is the meaning of this 'issue'? You've got a matched batch of drives that performs identically, is it bad in any sense? Do you prefer them with different production date and firmware? Drives have 2 accumulated start-stop cycles one of which is yours. This means drives were switched on only once to erase any information that could accidentally be left there if any, so the drives are basically brand new! Isn't it a really great deal?

ShadesBot

Aug 22, 2022
What is the meaning of this 'issue'? You've got matched batch of drives that performs identically, is it bad in any sense? Do you prefer them with different production date and firmware? Drives have 2 accumulated start-stop cycles one of which is yours. This means drives were switched on only once to erase any information that could accidentally be left there if any, so the drives are basically brand new! Isn't it a really great deal?
It is only an "issue" if this run of drives or the facility producing them had a manufacturing defect. Most people recommend staggering your drive purchases / buying different drives from different vendors to prevent this potentially destroying an array down the line. Not saying this will happen but it is the only potential con I can see, drives are great otherwise.

Reactions: T_Minus and Samir

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It is only an "issue" if this run of drives or the facility producing them had a manufacturing defect. Most people recommend staggering your drive purchases / buying different drives from different vendors to prevent this potentially destroying an array down the line. Not saying this will happen but it is the only potential con I can see, drives are great otherwise.
How often does this happen?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Never heard of those people, but I suppose they buy 4 different tires for their car just to avoid simultaneous blowout
It's a common best practice among drives. And for awd vehicles, running 4x different tires can ruin the drivetrain.

Reactions: mach3.2

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
How often does this happen?
Not necessarily a defect causing an issue, but if you have an older array and one drive fails, and it was made basically right at the same time as others, the others tend to fail in the same timeframe. Or at least that's how the theory goes. I don't know from practice as I only use raid 1 if I don't just do JBOD.

EvoDyn

Jun 23, 2021
Warranty info from WD: No Limited Warranty, LHC Drive ASM 12.0TB, 4Kn, SAS P3_PWDIS_Support, Cisco, TCG + FIPS. I received two and agree that they are nearly new.

Reactions: Whaaat and Samir

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
It is only an "issue" if this run of drives or the facility producing them had a manufacturing defect.
i've heard of this happening... but not in a really long time. Last time was probably when there was massive flooding in thailand?

I end up buying my drives in singles and doubles just because of limited need and budget so it works out fine anyway.

Reactions: Whaaat and Samir

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Ok, from now on will never board a plane right from the factory cause 4 identical engines
More than likely they're not identical, especially with the massive number of parts in them.

But usually the failure of a part ends up being common across engines, so you're still covered. :D

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
i've heard of this happening... but not in a really long time. Last time was probably when there was massive flooding in thailand?

I end up buying my drives in singles and doubles just because of limited need and budget so it works out fine anyway.
That was pretty much total factory destruction so chaos at the highest level (other than a nuclear bomb).

But there are sometimes batches of drives that all ship with a firmware that causes an issue (like the 32768 bug) where a mixed batch of drives or manufacturers may prevent total loss.

Manufacturers and vendors are aware of this sort of issue so there's mixed batches all throughout the retail/business distribution channels. Straight from the manufacturer or oem probably doesn't have the same 'mixing' since usually those type of customers want each of the drives totally identical. And since these seem like they're from an enterprise storage unit that was probably direct from the manufacturer, the serial numbers are more than likely sequential or in the same series.

If you're buying onesies and twosies new from a b2b retailer, I don't think you have to worry. But if you want to keep things mixed and are buying from someone like in the OP that is from the same series, you'll have to buy from multiple vendors to make your own 'mix'.

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
Which one of you buttholes cleaned out the last lot of (checks notes) 119 drives... D:

I think the seller updated the listing a day or two ago with more drives, so maybe more will be added.

By the way, just got my order of 10 drives. All manufactured in Feb 2022. Smartctl shows about 110 hours power on time and around 5 start-stop/load-unload cycles (for the 4 I've checked so far). I can also attest to the harsh head recoil. Makes putting these in a quiet machine a tough sell.

EDIT: just looked closer. The "harsh head recoil" is just on 1 of my 10 drives. It's basically clicking. Seems to function but might be on its last legs.

Two additional drives seem DOA:

Installed 3 or 4 drives and all were detected in BIOS/Avago but the time of the Avago boot on my T7910 increased from the usual 10-20 seconds to 10-15 minutes (said 'devices in the process of spinning up' for like 5 minutes). Then by the time I got into windows no drives were visible. Powered down the system and one of the drives was HOT. Must have been at least 75C to the touch on parts of the outside of drive.

This happened twice.

So I appear to have 7/10 good drives.

Last edited: