Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Depends on how much room above the top edge of the motherboard to the roof of the case there is.
That Fractal Define R4 can fit a 280mm rad in the roof but the HWL GTX240 is a thick 54mm deep which puts the total rad/fan thickness at 80mm.
From the images of the insides of the case there doesn't appear to have enough clearance above the motherboard to fit that thick of a rad.
Standard 27-30mm thick rad probably won't fit either. The Anandtech review mentions only thin 15mm rads fitting in the roof.
You'd have much better luck pulling the drive cages and mounting the rad in the front.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Depends on how much room above the top edge of the motherboard to the roof of the case there is.
That Fractal Define R4 can fit a 280mm rad in the roof but the HWL GTX240 is a thick 54mm deep which puts the total rad/fan thickness at 80mm.
From the images of the insides of the case there doesn't appear to have enough clearance above the motherboard to fit that thick of a rad.
Standard 27-30mm thick rad probably won't fit either. The Anandtech review mentions only thin 15mm rads fitting in the roof.
You'd have much better luck pulling the drive cages and mounting the rad in the front.
Guess i'll stick to my dual 240 GTS'es then.

In other news, I bought a used AC D5 pump and D5 Ultitop from someone in Germany. Later this month, i'll be buying some barbed fittings (and a High Flow Next for my old system because why not) so I can replace the old, extremely anemic Reserator XT stock pump, a D-Tek dB-1.

EDIT: Later this month? Haha, no. I ended up ordering a High Flow Next from AC directly as it was in stock. Still undecided how I will mount it... cut my res-GPU hose in half, or use a male-male adapter on the res it's 90 degree fitting instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: donedeal19

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Some more good news: it appears the Reserator XT doesn't care if the pump has a speed signal or not. Doesn't really matter if it does though, the D5 pump I bought has a seperate RPM connector.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Wow, that High Flow Next seems to be a waste of money so far. It gets detected by Device Manager but neither HWiNFO or Aquasuite detect it. Great, what a waste of €95.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
How is it connected?
Mind that USB drivers on AMD Mobo do not get along with Aquasuite. IIRC there was a thread on AQ English Forum about this problem.
I had installed an internal USB card and plug all devices there with the help of a Hubby7. So far so good.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
How is it connected?
Mind that USB drivers on AMD Mobo do not get along with Aquasuite. IIRC there was a thread on AQ English Forum about this problem.
I had installed an internal USB card and plug all devices there with the help of a Hubby7. So far so good.
AMD and USB in one sentence *cringes about the time he spent trying to get the clusterfuck that is Windows 7 on Ryzen working*

So I would need to buy a PCIe USB card just to use that stupid flowmeter? Ugh. I'll use it as a standalone meter then without Aquasuite. Man, if I knew about this I would have gone for a normal D5 for my next build.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
AMD and USB in one sentence *cringes about the time he spent trying to get the clusterfuck that is Windows 7 on Ryzen working*

So I would need to buy a PCIe USB card just to use that stupid flowmeter? Ugh. I'll use it as a standalone meter then without Aquasuite. Man, if I knew about this I would have gone for a normal D5 for my next build.
Now that you mention it...IIRC again, the problem is the USB ports that are going through the chipset. Somebody did the test to connect the High Flow meter on the rear panel USBs, and it worked on some ports (the ones that go directly to the CPU).
Also, you could buy an Aquastream ULTIMATE, which comes with an integrated flow meter plug. XD

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Not only that, my D5 Next isn't even detected by Windows at all.

Basically, do NOT buy anything Aquacomputer if you're either using AMD, running Windows 7, or both. That is, if you care about Aquasuite etc.

God ****ing damn it I am rather pissed right now. Spent almost €300 on AC stuff only to find out it won't work with my mobo.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
what the actual F, aquacomputer?

So HWiNFO actually sees it as what it should be: a High Flow Next, but I can't get sensor readings or Aquasuite to work. Interesting.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
You've got HWInfor v.7.20 installed, which is know to have issues reporting the sensors after some time (the free version).
Try to stick to a lower version.
HWInfo Statement about new versions.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Behold, the reason i'm going with Intel next time around: AMD can't get their goddamn USB subsystem working properly under Ryzen.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
It seems you stand against all odds: Aquasuite on Win7 + AMD Mobo + HWInfor > 7.0
Can't think of anything else that might help with your setup.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
It seems you stand against all odds: Aquasuite on Win7 + AMD Mobo + HWInfor > 7.0
Can't think of anything else that might help with your setup.
It's not even HWiNFO's fault, it's AMD's horribly broken USB stack that keeps disconnecting my HFN for whatever reason.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Amazingly, if I connect the HFN to my Core 2 Duo testing rig running Win7 aquasuite works just fine.

AMD, not even once.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
WTF. I connected the D5 Next to the C2D test rig and guess what: it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting.

Am I right to assume AC's stuff is fundamentally broken?

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
So, It connects and, after some time, it begins to disconnect and connect?
Have you tried to change the onboard USB where it connects?

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Ok...I was asking because I read that unstable USB power may lead to this type of behaviour in some AQ stuff.