Warm? Epyc 7262 NEW (HPE Upgrade) $480 AntOnline@Ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Thanks for sharing!

I have been planning an Epyc upgrade for my homelab for quite a while, and just recently decided on going with Naples. Imho, the prices on Rome chips are still too damn high (for homelab anyhow). I hope this will change soon with Milan becoming available.

I *think* this might be a good deal if you're looking for that specific SKU, or if you really need PCIe gen 4. It's "only" an 8 core part. For comparison, you can get a 16 or 24 core Naples part for less than that, and you may even be able to get a deal on the 32 core chip for around that much money. Those chips are a generation behind, sure, but on a lot of workloads the extra cores will quickly tip the performance scale in favor of the older part.

There is also a shortage of DDR4 3200 at the moment, making those modules more expensive than they should be.

My two cents is that a platform built around Naples is probably still the sweet spot for used gear at the moment, with the caveat that things could change soon. Please do correct me if I am wrong, though. Again thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I totally missed that the listing is for a *new* item, so my thoughts on used gear may be completely orthogonal here ;)

Reactions: Samir

piexil

Aug 26, 2019
7282 can double core count for only $200-ish more ($650 msrp).

I have one, runs multiple instances of plex, a 4 core rosetta@home vm that alone puts me in the top 5%, valheim server, some low traffic websites, at only about 20-30% usage typical.

RobstarUSA

Sep 15, 2016

I have one, runs multiple instances of plex, a 4 core rosetta@home vm that alone puts me in the top 5%, valheim server, some low traffic websites, at only about 20-30% usage typical.
This sure seems to overlap with the 3950x @ the same price.....lower clocks but you get more pci-e lanes and memory bandwidth.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013

Keep in mind that 7282 is one of the 4-channel memory-optimized SKUs so it has roughly half the memory bandwidth of the 7262. Depending on your application, this may not matter though.

For details see: https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7002-rome-cpus-with-half-memory-bandwidth/

Reactions: aij and piexil

piexil

Aug 26, 2019

ClintB

Mar 17, 2021
Just starting to look into epyc (zen2 or better) prices and this didn't seem too bad.

What do you guys think? Is there a dual socket motherboard sub $500 for these?

Provantage has this kit for $406: PROVANTAGE: HPE P16645-B21 DL385 GEN10 AMD Epyc 7262 Kit

Notes:

piexil

Aug 26, 2019
Reactions: ClintB

ClintB

Mar 17, 2021
3200 is kind of a waste on these CPUs anyway, unless you absolutely need every drop of memory bandwidth. According to this: https://developer.amd.com/wp-content/resources/56745_0.80.pdf the infinity fabric won't go above 1467 so you should stick to 2933mhz modules or you'll pay a nice latency penalty.
Have you seen any application benchmarks that directly compare only changing the memory clock speed from 2933 to 3200 in 7002 series?

I found this article, but it's about 7001 and not about the Infinity Fabric limitations (only improvements when selecting higher speed memory):
AMD EPYC Infinity Fabric Latency DDR4 2400 v 2666: A Snapshot

We'll probably see some 7003 benchmarks comparing memory speed since the Infinity Fabric now has synchronous clock speeds. This would be a +1 for buying 3200 now for future proofing, heh.

Some 7003 latency improvement info under Memory Latency heading:
Home>Servers AMD 3rd Gen EPYC Milan Review: A Peak vs Per Core Performance Balance

I can't imagine the latency penalty would have much real-world impact in a home lab, but it's probably good advice just to go with the cheapest option that works. It would still be interesting to see the applications that would benefit from decreasing the memory clock and at what scale it pays off. This wasn't on my radar until I saw your post. The Supermicro H12 motherboard manual only talks about 3200 memory, and their memory HCL tool only points to 3200 memory. The H11 series points to both 2933 and 3200 memory. Their prices are about the same for either option I believe.