AMD EPYC Rome CPU via HPE 'upgrade' very cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I have the same coming but I don’t have a date for either the S8030 from avadirect nor 7302p from provantage. Did you get any shipping estimate?
I ordered the cheaper S8030 from Provantage and when I called they said it would take 2-4 weeks. I saw the 7302p was briefly “in stock“ this week albeit at the higher price of $715. Perhaps I should have pulled the trigger on that and cancelled the earlier order. I‘m really really tempted to get a 7402P for $1250 instead - at least they’re in stock. But I’m not really going to use all those cores - 16 seems enough - for now :)

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
I also got the cheaper S8030 from avadirect because they are tax free for me and I asked and gave me a discount :) Ended up buying the Dynatron A26 which is cheap from avadirect as well. Also quoted 2-4 weeks for the motherboard but depends on any delays caused by the covid situation.

crw030

Apr 11, 2020
My 7302p took about 12 weeks to arrive, but it was ordered before this HPE part number was released to the channel. I would expect 2-4 weeks if HPE actually has the CPU's to fulfill the orders with.
I ordered the EPYC 7302P Upgrade on 4/12 after seeing this thread and it shipped 5/4 and arrived yesterday 5/7. CPU was just packed directly on top of the heatsink (I wish they'd put a thin protective layer between them), hopefully it works but won't be able to test until the motherboard arrives (below).

I ordered the Tyan MB S8030GM4NE-2T at the same time (same order), and it is yet to ship.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I ordered the EPYC 7302P Upgrade on 4/12 after seeing this thread and it shipped 5/4 and arrived yesterday 5/7. CPU was just packed directly on top of the heatsink (I wish they'd put a thin protective layer between them), hopefully it works but won't be able to test until the motherboard arrives (below).
Did the Provantage site show it as being shipped? Some forum members said the site doesn't get updated even after shipping :)

crw030

Apr 11, 2020
Did the Provantage site show it as being shipped? Some forum members said the site doesn't get updated even after shipping :)
My CPU did update on the PROVANTAGE Site with Shipment Status: Completed and the tracking number. Might just be hit or miss. Mine appeared to be forwarded via an expeditor and then tossed (in one corner was the funny bit), in an overpack box that was about 4x too big, filled the rest of the way with the big air pillows. It was still in the expeditor box with shipping label on it.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Same here, Provantage used a 3rd party to fulfill the order. Mine shipped in an HPE box with all of the HPE part numbers, etc. My CPU was packed in a smaller cardboard/foam box & anti-static bag inside the box with the heatsink being at the bottom. Plenty of padding, all very secure.
@crw030 I can't imagine it coming from HPE that way! I wonder if someone opened it to look at the CPU and then didn't package it back correctly? Either way, I'd be upset with it arriving as you described.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
CPU was just packed directly on top of the heatsink (I wish they'd put a thin protective layer between them), hopefully it works but won't be able to test until the motherboard arrives (below).

Mine appeared to be forwarded via an expeditor and then tossed (in one corner was the funny bit), in an overpack box that was about 4x too big, filled the rest of the way with the big air pillows.

:eek: That is insane - I hope the motherboard comes soon so you can test it - but as TXAG26 said - you really should raise this with Provantage. Server CPUs are fragile and that is no way to package an expensive server CPU !!!

crw030

Apr 11, 2020
Yeah stressing me out a little bit, as this is a one-off personal build, and being small potatoes who knows if there is an issue if I will have any real recourse. The CPU was in a static bag, and the internal box containing both was sealed with official looking tape. It looks to me simply like there was intended to be a layer of the black packing foam in-between the CPU and the cooler (there is vertical clearance in the box for it), but it was absent in my shipment.

I've sent an email to PROVANTAGE to hopefully get in front of this if the CPU got wrecked since I have no system/board to test it in until the other half of my order ships!

Reactions: TXAG26

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
All I know is the HPE 'upgrade' CPU I got works fine in a supermicro H11SSL motherboard.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Looks like the cpu will blow fuses after being installed in the machines. I doubt all processors will be installed and tested by hpe.

penguinslovebananas

Sep 25, 2020
Has anyone purchased one of these upgrade kits lately. I am specifically interested in getting a pair of 7262 for a system I am building. I have two questions real quick. I want to confirm they come with the carrier and that fuses are not locked to hpe. I have a gigabyte MZ72-HB0 on the way to put them in. Thanks for the help.

item I am looking at buying.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Mine came with a carrier, and I presume no blown fuses because it worked in a supermicro board. If I understand the fuses correctly, they get blown after being installed in a specific motherboard. You can always ask provantage...

There was a 1U heatsink, but no torque wrench.

Reactions: penguinslovebananas

ClintB

Mar 17, 2021
Has anyone purchased one of these upgrade kits lately. I am specifically interested in getting a pair of 7262 for a system I am building. I have two questions real quick. I want to confirm they come with the carrier and that fuses are not locked to hpe. I have a gigabyte MZ72-HB0 on the way to put them in. Thanks for the help.

item I am looking at buying.

I'm late to the party, but here are some photos from my build. I can confirm the following:
  1. the CPU comes with a carrier
  2. Everything was packed well; the CPU was in separate padded box apart from heatsink (YMMV apparently)
  3. the CPU works great with a Supermicro H12 motherboard
I've been up and running with VMware vSphere in my homelab for a couple of weeks, and it's been smooth sailing.

I didn't have a torque wrench on hand, so I ordered a Threadripper wrench from Ebay. Shipping got held up due to bad weather, so I went ahead and purchased the more pricey torque screwdriver from Amazon. The CPU + motherboard came from Provantage.

The Supermicro manual shows how to install an Epyc CPU, but I found this YouTube straight from AMD more helpful:
How to Install AMD EPYC™ Processors

epyc-boxes.jpgepyc-motherboard.jpgepyc-tools.jpg

epyc-torque-wrench.jpg

cpu-packing.jpg

Reactions: TXAG26

crw030

Apr 11, 2020
Yeah stressing me out a little bit, as this is a one-off personal build, and being small potatoes who knows if there is an issue if I will have any real recourse. The CPU was in a static bag, and the internal box containing both was sealed with official looking tape. It looks to me simply like there was intended to be a layer of the black packing foam in-between the CPU and the cooler (there is vertical clearance in the box for it), but it was absent in my shipment.

I've sent an email to PROVANTAGE to hopefully get in front of this if the CPU got wrecked since I have no system/board to test it in until the other half of my order ships!
I forgot to ever come back and update on this, but Provantage Customer Service was quick to respond and indicated they would provide replacement in the case of damage due to shipment, so can recommend !!

It ended up not being required, EPYC dropped in and works great on the TYAN board I bought, apparently no damage in shipping! and I've been using it for a year without any problems whatsoever.

One note (maybe because its a server board?) but the fans have only one speed setting on the Tyan board as far as I can tell (a single percentage in BIOS not temperature based), and at 100% with 700cfm (exhaust+input) via a bunch of Noctua PPC fans, it sounds almost like a proper server at 100%.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
On my supermicro mb, it can only control speed of PWM fans, not 3 pin fans. Perhaps it is the same with your Tyan?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

dazipe

Feb 22, 2013
Hello,
I have a HPE DL325 ProLiant G10 with first gen EPYC 7251.
Does anybody know if this server is compatible with second (Rome) or third (Milan) generations of the CPU?
I see that HP subsequently released DL325 ProLiant G10 plus and DL325 ProLiant G10 plus v2 which come with the newer CPUs but I was wondering if the upgrade was possible for the first version of the server.