Voltaire 4036 - anyone make quiet yet?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Been mulling the purchase of one of these. I do not want a jet engine in the 20 person office.

Anyone figure out how to make these quiet yet?

adrian

Jul 26, 2013
From the amount of heat i see coming from these switches, i would not personally recommend changing the fans. Also those fans are surely PWM and may have additional electronics in them.

I do have a couple of these units myself and comparing to other network gear the sound is very low (for a datacenter environment). These are not for office use.

I was having these noise issues myself some time ago when i was testing gear home/or in a small office, but i realized a special data-room is what they were made for and there is their home. :)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
just get some of those water cooling kits and work it out, still keep one big 120/160mm fan but you can get the cpu/npu/phy's all heat pumped/water cooled for zero noise. might not be 1u any more ;)

DASHIP

May 4, 2016
I have been wondering the same thing about making these switches quieter. They sound like a jet engine. There are two fan speeds, normal and turbo. They boot in turbo and then fall back to normal, but even normal is crazy loud.

It doesn't make sense that these switches need a lot of fan because they don't draw that much power (216W max, 106W typical), and the power they do draw is spread across a number of components in the switch.

I actually purchased some additional fans to see if I could come up with a way to quiet the fans. I was thinking about putting a resistor in-line with the fan power wire. I haven't had a chance to actually do testing yet, but will have to come up with something because I need my 40Gig speeds, in my house! The only other alternative is to sound-proof the wiring closet these are in, but that is a pain too...

If anyone has other good ideas, I would love to hear them...