1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VM with passthrough "freezes" entire ESXi box when shutdown/rebooting guest

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by thedotlair, Apr 11, 2016.

1. epicurean

epicurean Member

Thanks Jake,
    I don't quite understand what mvrk was doing, and unsure if putting those exact entrees is appropriate for my motherboard and AMD cards. Is it a general solution or I need to find the specific addresses to my AMD cards?

Will definately give your solution a good read!

2. mmolinari

mmolinari New Member

I was experiencing the same issue with a GTX 980, and apparently what mvrk suggests almost worked for me: changing "bridge" to "link" fixed the freeze, but then the VM wouldn't boot anymore after the first time, until I rebooted the host (the VM logs mention a panic). Changing it to "d3d0" seems to work: still no freezes, and I can power off and on the Windows VM at will.
    If you try this, make sure to reboot the host after changing /etc/vmware/passthru.map.

Thanks a lot for this thread.

3. ridney

ridney Member

i just added a passthrough gpu to my windows 10 vm and i'm experiencing the same freezing upon shutdown of vm. how are we supposed to change the

1002 ffff link false to /etc/vmware/passthru.map?

update: nevermind. i used winscp to ssh and edit the file

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  4. Khalendar

Khalendar New Member

i have a gtx 1070 and gtx 1050 ti passthrough to 2 different vm's in esxi 6.5 with no major issues. the only config change made was to hide the hypervisor from nvidia drivers. originally tried passthrough with a radeon pro wx 4100 but that had major problems with freezing the entire esxi host on vm reboots.

on another note, i also had these freezing issues when passing through a usb 3.0 card that used a fresco logic controller. issues went away after switching to a asmedia controller.

having a intel ssd 750 nvme passthrough to the vm along with the nvidia gpu and usb 3.0 also caused stability issues in the vm (nvidia driver crashes) so i just don't have the ssd passthrough and it's been stable since.

5. richtj99

richtj99 New Member

Is this still an issue in Esxi 6.5?

6. chune

chune Member

still present in 6.5 u3. This worked great to get my vid cards and USB going, but it still locks up whenever i try to passthrough my LSI2008 controller. I tried the "d3d0" and "link" settings but it PSODs on them both when shutting down a vm.

# ATI
    1002 6798 link false
    # ETRON
    15AD 0779 link false
    1B6F 7052 link false
    #ASMEDIA
    1B21 1042 link false
    #LSI 2008
    1000 0072 d3d0 default