Using my server as a desktop also when running ESXi 5.x?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stealthrt

Sep 15, 2014
These days I’m looking to get rid of my desktop pc tower and just go and build a custom server. Problem with that is the “experts” I’ve spoken too don’t really know how to answer my question. So, I was thinking that hopefully, maybe by chance, posting my question in this forum would help me get an answer!

My server configuration would be something like this:
- Supports 2x Intel Xeon V3 CPU’s.
- Supports least 30TB of SATA/SAS hot-swap 3.5” hard drive space that holds at least 4 HD’s.
- Supports at least 1TB of RAM (4GB/8GB/16GB/32GB/64GB).
- Have at least 1 PCIx x16 slot.
- Have at least 2 PCIx x8 or x4 slots.
- Be a 1U or 2U server case.
- PSU around 700-1000w.
- Have room for a slim (laptop style) Blu-ray burner drive.

Now here comes the question that has stumped many:

Since I am doing away with my desktop, I will need the server to act as a desktop replacement. However, I am needing the server to run the following:
- At least 4 x 2012 R2 OS VM servers.
- Each VM running 2-4GB RAM.
- Each VM using on-board graphics.
- Each VM sharing the (if 4 HD slot’s) 3 HD’s or sharing 7 HD’s if housing 8 HD slot’s. (The last HD in both scenarios would be for the desktop).
- All VM’s running ESXi 5.x.

Now since i'm wanting it to also act as a desktop I need to be able to use it as if I was a desktop. The question that’s stumping everyone is how can I do this when the server will be running ESXi for its base OS? How can I use the PCIx 16x graphics card for just my “desktop” version? If this is possible, will there be any lag from the server to my monitor via HDMI? I know I will need to run an HDMI and USB cable from the server room to the room where my desktop used to be – that’s no problem.

My “desktop” would be running Windows 8.1 x64 Pro with some type of 1/2GB GeForce Graphics card that supports HDMI 2.0 and somewhere around 16GB of RAM. I’m not a big gamer – I mainly just do web design and desktop programming. I’ve been looking at the Dell PowerEdge R730 Rack Server and it seems like a good fit for what I am wanting to do. However, not knowing if I can do what I am asking in this email to you is the only reason stopping me from getting it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

David G.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Can't you just RDP in? Make a Win 8.1 Pro VM. Get a cheapo laptop or $200 silent desktop to be a RDP thin client.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
As a start you will most likely need to have two video cards or else one video card and one onboard video as one of them will need to be dedicated to ESXi and the other passed through to the desktop VM. From what i have seen it is hit or miss as to what combination of motherboard and video card will work for the video card passthrough. I have seen a couple of entries on this over on the HardOCP forums in the virtual machine section however

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
The Xen and KVM hypervisors can actually run a primary OS (Nix), instead of staring at a useless yellow console that you might not be able to manage if your desktop-vm does not boot. The Vmware hypervisor is just really the least suitable for this, and many other, purpose.

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Why not just use a Base Linux Installation? Eg Ubuntu or something

Pool all the HDD's together with Software Raid

Then use KVM to make the 4 Server Virtual's giving each one 3 HDD's worth of space out of the Software Array?

That way you get a Desktop OS, and your Virtuals... With no need to do any passthru etc. And you have the bonus of some protection from the Software Raid Array.

Or better still, just give the Base Linux System a couple of SSD's Mirrored in Software Raid.

Chuck all the HDD's in a Seperate box and use that as your Storage NAS...

Desktop Box will then be nice and quiet and cool.......

Upgrading at a later stage, either Desktop or Storage NAS will be a lot simpler.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
ESXI is a Hypervisor. It's not an OS in the typical sense. You can't do what you want with ESXI. That's the long and the short of it.

If I were you, I'd be running Server 2012R2 as your OS, use the "Desktop Experience" role which makes Server 2012R2 run like Windows 8, and then run all your VMs on Hyper-V. Heck, with the Desktop Experience allows you to run games if you want...

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I run three servers at home, one on consumer hardware. Two are Xenservers the third is a Freenas box which contains my VM storage repository. Both Xenservers have a GPU passed though to a VM and USB is passed though the consumer hardware host.

Xenserver 6.2 really wants to keep a GPU for DOM-O but it can be worked around if necessary; I had to with the consumer hardware server as it had no onboard video. I use an AMD 6450 and a 6950, both work out of the box.

Performance with both VM desktops is pretty good, the biggest problems for me at the moment: I/O it's good enough but I think I should be able to get more, and C-states/Turbo mode don't behave like I want. I think with some tinkering it should be solvable. GPU performance is pretty close to native, but HDMI audio has one idiosyncrasy: it doesn't seem to passthough on the first boot of the VM after a host restart.

Overall I'm happy with my setup, It does require a little maintenance but most of the time I find that part of the fun.
_________
Xenservers
big-red: Asrock 970 Extreme3, AMD 1090T, 16GB non-ECC, old HDD as boot drive, AMD 6950
lil-red: Supermicro H8SCM-F, AMD 4171 HE, 32GB ECC, older HDD as boot driver, AMD 6450​
Freenas
blue: Supermicro H8SCM-F, AMD 4171 HE, 16GB ECC, USB boot, 4 HDDs in raid10, 3 SSDs raidz​