used: Intel DC S3710 Enterprise 400GB 2.5"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
I don't know if it was the same seller, but I got 16 of these (blew my budged for the next couple of years :( ) to create a purely SSD array for a (more or less) converged NAS/VM/DB box. Has worked out well so far. The exact numbers I don't recall the exact numbers but the power on time was not high and in all cases the writes were less than 1% capacity.

I mention it because even if it was not the same seller, back in July (I think) a flood of these came on the market and it looks like the price has been dropping slowly ever since. It is unlikely these drives are not from the same stock but I suspect leases are expiring more or less at the same time and businesses are looking to upgrade, perhaps to NVMe drives. Great value for us.

Hope this helps.

J--

Aug 13, 2016
These have been out there for a few weeks now, I've been waiting for the prices to be <$130 to grab a few.

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
Funny you mention it...when these drive first became available I believe they (again, not sure of the seller and the time frame was around July) was asking close to $200 or BO. I, too, thought I would wait observing a number of sellers were selling the drives. The short story is after waiting a month or so the prices started coming down I managing to pick up my set for $155 each. Granted, more expensive than now :< but still at a substantial discount.

It depends on your time frame, as at the moment a NAND shortage is going on so it may be a few months before the price drops to your price range. In my view, because NVMe drives (at least new) are/have reaching/ed price parity, the drive prices will drop, but you just may be waiting for a few more months, perhaps through the first quarter of 2017.

Just my two cents.

Locutis

Oct 26, 2016
Thanks for the info! I just bought 6. Hopefully they are exactly as advertised. Can't beat the price for the large capacity, high endurance of these drives coupled with the high read/write speed.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
Nice, looks like it's the same seller.

I received my batch of 8.
I'll test & report back.

Feb 8, 2016
The power on hours vs writes for them appears unlikely.
It is possible the drive #2 was installed, powered on for 150 days and zero bytes written.

Would you be skeptical of the SMART info?

Below is the SMART for the drives. CrystalDiskInfo reports both drives 100% Good.

Drives ordered from l-d-sales / Tech Trade, from the ebay link above.

Attachments

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The power on hours vs writes for them appears unlikely.
It is possible the drive #2 was installed, powered on for 150 days and zero bytes written.

Would you be skeptical of the SMART info?

Below is the SMART for the drives. CrystalDiskInfo reports both drives 100% Good.

Drives ordered from l-d-sales / Tech Trade, from the ebay link above.
maybe drive2 was a hotspare in a RAID array that was never activated? that's the only scenario I can think of that would be likely...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Yes, likely hot spare.

This was mentioned in another thread I believe where someone got a bunch and out of them 1 or 2 were like that one. Powered on no writes.

Feb 8, 2016
Thanks for the responses about the SMART reports.

They were well packaged and arrived in very good time.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
just reporting back. the 4 SSDs i got had between 3000-4000 power-on-hours. 3 of the 4 had between 200-400GB written, and 800+ GB read - looks like it was mostly in read application. 1 of the 4 had 0 written/read - probably the hot spare.

seems like a nice deal for reputable enterprise SSD with little use.

oh, one thing I did notice is that the firmware isn't current. but I can't update the firmware over a USB 3.0-SATA cable so I'm going to have to install it in a server or something before I can update the firmware.

Reactions: Patrick